Roon ARC Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Sep 26, 2022.

1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have been having a lot of trouble with connectivity/poor connection issues with the new Roon ARC when in the car. I have no trouble streaming in the car with Amazon Music and Qobuz at CD quality. Most of the time I have a strong 5G signal sometimes dropping to LTE. Phone is an iPhone 13 Pro.

Anyone else having trouble with this?

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

Streaming from a hard drive or from a streaming service via Arc?

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

In trying out Roon ARC, I find it considerably less reliable than using my home DLNA server via BubbleUPnP Server. Roon ARC has a long way to go before it's working as well as it should, IMO.

4. dadregga

dadregga Forum Resident

I've had zero issues with it when streaming home NAS content.

Previously I was using Wireshark VPN - Arc has been much much better for me, no hitches.

But I'm letting it transcode to Opus on mobile (the default setting, I'd note), and not forcing 44.1 on LTE.

Your LTE network coverage will not be enough to smoothly stream 44.1/16 without issue, unless you are in very very favorable conditions. A moving car is not favorable for LTE signal.

I would suggest reverting to the default and seeing if it is better. If it is, you have a normal LTE network - one that is not particularly well-suited to streaming while in motion.

5. rockin_since_58

Both Qobuz and local files from my Roon Nucleus. Doesn't matter whether streaming or the local files.

james likes this.
  6. rockin_since_58

I had cellular streaming set to CD quality. I changed it to "balanced" whatever that is and will give it a try on my way in to work tomorrow. It seems like it is not loading the next track ahead which I think Amazon Music does.

7. BRick

BRick Forum Resident

I’ve had zero issues with it. Not sure I have a use case, and I definitely don’t want to pay for data, but it has worked perfectly when I tried it out a couple times.

8. rockin_since_58

With streaming set to "balanced", I was able to make it to work this morning without it buffering. Keeping my fingers crossed...

dadregga and james like this.
  9. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

haven't had any issues with cell data connections- I've got ARC set to do CD quality for cellular, original format on wifi. the one issue I've found is that if I start ARC while on the cell network, it does not switch to the higher quality stream when i connect to wifi unless I quit and re-launch ARC.

10. rockin_since_58

I've given up on ARC for now. Just won't maintain a reliable connection for me. I have no trouble with Amazon Music or Qobuz running CD quality in the areas I regularly drive in.

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have Roon that I use at home. I am not sure I actually understand what Roon ARC is or is for...

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  12. rockin_since_58

Depends on how you use Roon. For the most part I replicate my physical library in Qobuz but I also have ripped CD's saved on my Nucleus that are not available for streaming.

The bottom line is that ARC doesn't really provide any real benefit to most Roon users. With services like Apple Music, Amazon Music and Spotify, you can probably get 90%+ of all available music via these conventional streaming services.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Thank you. My primary listening is from ripped files store on an external drive connected to my MacBook. I use dBpoweramp to rip the CDs and iTunes (Music) to import and manage metadata. Roon is my primary playback tool for my digital library. I use Qobuz for research and review of both archive music and new music. I access it through Roon for playback. This set up fits my needs and usage quite well.

PTgraphics and rockin_since_58 like this.
  14. mynameischet

mynameischet Forum Resident

Really glad to hear i am not the only one. I've only been able to get a reliable connection a couple times. Really hoping the performance improves because I'd love to use it out in the world.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  15. Mike-48

Roon ARC, when it's working, allows the user to play music from their Roon library on a phone or tablet in another location. It can be useful for some users. I think I'd use it if it worked better.

mynameischet and rockin_since_58 like this.
  16. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

knock on wood it's worked great for me, but I've been selecting "balanced" so I'm sure the quality is based on the bandwidth.

I really honestly didn't think I'd care about having my entire library available remotely, but it's so nice having the same grouping of albums I see at home in roon on my phone when I'm in the car or walking the dog (or in a hotel or wherever).

yeah, I could stream via Qobuz/Tidal when away, as who needs EVERYTHING all the time, but I do like it.

Couple of cases:

I just ripped the new Grateful Dead "In the Garden" box set into my server, and it was fun to have that on a recent road trip.

I have a couple playlists made up of both Qobuz/Tidal and local files, and it was great to be able to access them exactly as they are.

In the car, with road noise, etc... I don't think CD quality is really necessary. A good lossy stream should be just fine (and should stream without too much issue) most of the time. (for me anyway)

gabbleratchet7 and Mike-48 like this.
  17. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Exact same issue. Real shame because it’s great to be able to stream my music.

Mike-48 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  18. rockin_since_58

Just did a 100 mile round trip drive and ARC worked flawlessly. Yesterday there was a Roon update for all devices so maybe this has something to do with it.

I have the Cellular Streaming option set to "Bandwidth Optimized". Hopefully this wasn't a fluke and it will continue to work well.

chris8519 and Oliver Meyer like this.
  19. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

20. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Strangely enough mine worked today as well. Loaded quickly and worked flawlessly. Must have been the updates

rockin_since_58 and Mike-48 like this.
  21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm on the fence on ARC. It was something I used to do with JRiver years ago. That was before I had a streaming service so my library was my streaming service when I was away from home. Now with Qobuz I don't feel like I need ARC.

I installed it and it worked in trial but I'm fine running the Qobuz app and haven't used ARC yet. Now that summer is over I don't travel as much so I don't see using it. I might just dismantle it locking up the router, turning off port forwarding.

It feels like this was a decade too late.

22. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I'm just having overall issues with Roon 2.0 in general. I have to reboot the Roon server every few days, as it eventually becomes un-recognized by all remotes. I then have to sign back in on all my apps and I get all these notifications for new device logins, as if I'd gotten all new phones and tablets. Altogether, I'm quite unhappy with my $500 program that only works sometimes.

23. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Weird...none of my stuff received updates. I'm still on 2.0 build 1133.

24. Mike-48

That is AFAIK the latest version. Mine updated to that recently.

Sorry to hear all the trouble you're having. It does not seem typical. I hope you're able to get it squared away soon.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  25. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Hmm, weird. I don't think I have received any updates since the day Roon 2.0 was announced, unless it's started auto updating. Or maybe I just forgot that I did it, lol.