Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. migrantwing

migrantwing Well-Known Member

Huge Rory fan. I had read about these releases a while back, and was really excited about them, but life and work and a relationship got in the way and I totally forgot about them. I recently lost my job and became single (just my luck) and so have more time of my own. I actually planned on buying some new/old stereo components to go along with the remaining, fully working components that I purchased 30 years ago and re-building my audio system but, obviously, after losing my job I don't have the funds to do that at the moment. I was planning on buying a turntable.

I am interested in these latest Rory releases on CD format. I have the Strange Music 1999/2000 remastered releases and have never really been happy with them. I have seen a few more releases over the years, but had heard that the mixes/remixes were a little off. I remember the sound on the best of Rory 'Big Guns' compilation and thinking how awful it was.

My question is, simply; are these latest releases the definitive releases compared to the other releases in the past, including the 2000 Strange Music 1999/2000?

As a side note, I remember buying all the FREE (Island Remasters) CD's back in 2002, along with the Songs Of Yesterday Box Set and wishing I had kept the original Island - 'straight to CD' versions. Way too much compression on those.

TIA

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 1998/2000 versions were remixes and have been shunned since 2012 in favor of remasters of the original mixes. Big Guns is indeed the worst Rory has ever sounded on digital.
    The new 2018 remasters sound great and are not compressed. Deuce 2018 is the only good version of this album on CD. The rest are good on either the 2012 (more bass) or 2018 (less bass) remasters by the same team.

sound chaser likes this.
  3. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I've got; and am happy with all the Rory I want and need... which includes "just about" everything he's released; and it should be noted I'm by no means a "completist". It's just that it's Rory Gallagher!

As a note; the majority of my Rory are the German Intercord masterings.

4. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Intercord!

5. migrantwing

Thanks for that plan9. I'll probably go with the latest incarnations in that case as I found the '98-2000 remixes bass heavy. Especially the 70's albums.

6. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Don't agree.
    Agree, or at least one of his best. Wikipedia calls it "eclectic" and it is that, with each song standing out on it's own. Everyone was blown away when he hit his stride with Deuce but I just replayed his Self-titled and it is great fun and stands on it's own. It reminds me of when Rory came out in his plaid work shirt as on the cover of Europe Live. He toured all over the mid-Atlantic in support of those two and did two shows at the Cellar Door that were unbelievable.

The Quiet One and KAJ1971 like this.
  7. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

The Intercords are great but the prices are up there and try finding a new Blueprint/Tattoo combo. These 2018's are great new affordable alternatives IMHO.

fenderesq likes this.
  8. 303 Squadron

303 Squadron Forum Resident

I am not dissapointed. A nice, warm sounding CD.

Natvecal. likes this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Surprised they closed the thread on the "Blues" release, this is a bit different than the topic of this thread...

Anyhow, I ordered the 2 LP set of "Blues" from my local shop and was wondering if anyone knew if all of the first pressings are the Blue vinyl version then going to standard black or is there two different versions of the vinyl from the start?

Spadeygrove likes this.
  10. Two different vinyl versions from the start. Blue and black.

scotti likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, but I can only find one UPC listed (600753868119), is the Blue vinyl version only at certain retailers?

12. Yes, I think so, only at certain retailers.

For example:

Rory Gallagher: Blues (180g) (Limited-Edition) (Blue Vinyl) (exklusiv für jpc) (2 LPs) – jpc

Rory Gallagher: Blues (180g) (2 LPs) – jpc

Typically, for the limited edition, they put a sticker with a different barcode on the shrinkwrap, and the original barcode (of the black vinyl version) is printed on the actual cover, i.e. the abum cover is identical. I have seen this with many different similar examples.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks! Still can't find a UPC for the Blue vinyl version. But it does not look like any of the US Indie stores have this. My local told me that both distributors he buys from only have the standard black listed. I also noticed the same at Bull Moose.

Oh well, standard black will be fine, its what comes out of the grooves that matters most. Really appreciate you responding!

rjstauber likes this.
  14. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

So late to the thread, site too! Big fan of Rory and have most of the original vinyl and cd, but a few questions, observances, regarding live albums I have a great double which comprises Live in Europe and Stagestruck and have seen it fairly cheap on eBay and discogs!
    Also so pleased to confirm what I’ve thought for years bought the Big Guns comp when it came out for in the car as a straight best of but quickly found it unlistenable and have played it seldom since, what the hell happened?

scotti likes this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

We need more fans here on this thread! Glad you found it.

Really looking forward to "Blues" next week and sure I will have to get the 3 CD set as well since there are more songs. I will wait for feedback of the sound quality of the CD though to be safe...Of course will offer feedback on the vinyl after I jam out to it...

You just never know when it comes to new CDs and the sound these days. I did get a good one last week on CD (sound wise) as there is not a vinyl version yet of the Christone "Kingfish" Ingram release. If you have not heard this man play (only 20) check this album out as it is smoking hot! Artists and especially ones that have a feel for the Blues like he does do not come around very often. Highly Recommended!

laf848 and Anno like this.
  16. Thanks for the tip, will check him out.

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Huh? Why was that thread closed???

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just read a couple outstanding reviews for the new "Blues" release, looks like we got a very good one on the way! Really nice to be getting a release like this. Now "Universal" please continue to work with the family and bring us more treasures...

Oh how I would like to see Kevin Gray or Chris Bellman get a hold of "On The Boards" and give it the AAA treatment it so rightfully deserves, or should I say we deserve...

The Quiet One likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, "On The Boards" is an incredible album. :righton:

migrantwing and scotti like this.
  20. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Today I A/B'd the 2012 and the 2018 versions of Rory's self-titled. There is no comparison. It is like night and day. Beautiful piece of work. Very spacious sounding with all instruments in crisp detail. I heard things in Rory's guitar I never heard before and it is great stuff. Very enjoyable. I remember when these were released and details were scarce, there was a question as to whether these were the 2012's re-released. Well, we can put that one to bed.
    So, Remastered By Andy Pearce and Matt Wortham. The only one of the famed Intercord Rory sets I have is the Live! In Europe / Stage Struck double. I can pick up a 2018 copy of Live! to compare but I am wondering if anyone has A/B'd any of Rory's studio Intercords with any of the 2018's? That report I would really like to hear.
    I imagine the Blues set SQ may vary since it is drawn from many sources but if they put any of the care into the new set that the 2018's got, it's time to go ahead and spring for this one.

21. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Are we talking CD or vinyl here?

Metalrob likes this.
  22. migrantwing

Less than a week left. Woo hoo!

scotti likes this.
  23. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Yep, really looking forward to hearing the 2LP blue vinyl and 3CD Deluxe set. Never enough Rory!

scotti, Spadeygrove and migrantwing like this.
  24. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

ragepil likes this.