Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Stunning interview with Brian May re: Rory.

Bonddm, lucan_g and twister like this.
  2. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Get everything up to calling card. My favourites are against the grain deuse and his first debut self-titled LP

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just uploaded this shot in a different thread where we were talking about concert shots, and I was making a point never to use a flash. This one captured some amazing colors from the stage lights that would be ruined with a flash.

[​IMG]

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Honestly, you can't go wrong with anything from his debut up to and including Stage Struck. Since you're starting out, I'd suggest Deuce, Tattoo, and Live in Europe as the next ones to get. Good call on getting Calling Card first! :righton: Killer album I never get tired of.

The Quiet One, bruce2 and Spadeygrove like this.
  5. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Those pictures you took at this 1982 show are awesome! Are you aware that bootleggers thought so too? The above pic has been used as front cover for at least 2 different
    bootleg releases. A CD bootleg called "Live In Cork" and a vinyl bootleg called "What's The Story Rory" from a 24th october 1978 show in Paris, France.

6. twister

twister Forum Resident

Please can anyone tell me if the vinyl reissues are the original mixes or the remixes that were released on CD back in the late 90’s, I need to replace my Photo Finish but want the original mix, Sorely tempted to buy the lot.

The Quiet One likes this.
  7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Lovely interview. Brian almost crying at times when he is recalling Rory. :righton:

8. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Back of sleeve of Photo Finish LP says:
    Re-mastered from the original tapes by Andy Pearce & Matt Wortham
    at Wired Masters, August 2012​

[​IMG]

Metalrob likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, no I didn't know that.

Years ago a friend of mine saw that pic being sold on ebay by someone who was selling a bunch of Rory photo buttons and he told me about that, he wanted me to report him, but my attitude was that I was flattered & more power to him.

I did see one of my Nazareth photos used in a quasi-bootleg called "The River Sessions" (I think it is some kind of grey area release). I was pretty surprised to see that in the booklet when I got that.

I used to host many of my photos on my website but had no watermarks on them. I said on my pages that people were free to use them for whatever they wanted but to please say where they got them from, but I guess once you put something out there....you lose all control. Doesn't bother me though...I'm flattered that people like them enough to use them...and like that more people get to see them. Better than just sitting unseen in my photo albums...

I did use those 1982 shots for the CDartwork I made of that show, plus another show taped by a friend in '85 btw and freely shared that stuff...

10. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

I think Tattoo definitely should be on the list.

DrBeatle likes this.
  11. twister

twister Forum Resident

Thanks Emberglow. The parts added to the late 90’s mixes were also from the original tapes so I guess what I wanted to know is does the re release stick to the original pressing or the later 90’s versions. Take “Fuel To The Fire” for instance on the remix a lead melody line was added to the intro and outro but because I was so used to the version without the add ons I prefer that version.

My original was lost back in the day when I used to let people borrow my vinyl. It’s still a great album either way.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

A little bird told me that the BBC set is also a clone of an earlier mastering. So it now appears certain there is nothing here in these reissues for people who own older CD's.

slipkid likes this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Good advice! :righton: - That Taste "On The Boards" is an incredible album.

kellys and scotti like this.
  14. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Spadeygrove, looks like that crowd is having quite the party hanging out in that river filled with whiskey...been playing one full Rory album per day since I've checked out this thread lately ("Defender" up next today)...thanks for posting!

Spadeygrove likes this.
  16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Wanted to come back to the focus of the thread on this post. Has anyone gotten any of these reissues on vinyl yet and if so, how do they sound? My copy of Top Priority sold out at the distributor that supplies my local shop before I could get it...plus IMO these are priced way too high for their own good...these are not MoFi, AP type vinyl and really should not be selling for more than $22 or so per single LP...

Any one else want to add anything here...

The Quiet One and Metalrob like this.
  18. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

I got Rory Gallagher self titled first LP vinyl today in Dublin Ireland 22.99 euro. If you haven't got original or intercord CD I would pass on them . Digital

19. ServingTheMusic

If I am not mistaken, and I could be, the vinyl box is "limited to 300 copies"...so if this is true not a ton of takes, because
    there still seems to be stock available.

Not only are they LPs expensive, but surely cut from digital. They are using the common misleading marketing line "cut
    from the original tapes"..which technically could be true, but in reality a 24 bit archive of the tape.

20. ServingTheMusic

You mean cut from digital?

Also can you confirm it comes with a download card (16/44.1 WAV)?

21. Are these slated for a US release? Amazon shows these as imports.

22. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Anyone get deuse vinyl Sq?

23. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Yes it comes with a download card. It has to be digital it's not analogue. So what copies of Rory Gallagher do you have? I have all the first UK pressings up the calling card and all the intercord cds. Except deuse which was never released on intercord

24. ServingTheMusic

Gotcha. Yes, i am with you, I just don't see these as AAA at all. I have some very beaten up early pressings, but I really only play the previous 2012 CD
    remasters, which i think are actually very good.

That is why this box seemed attractive. It is $270..and get this...$150 FOR shipping to North America. Pass.

25. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Hunt down intercord cds dense was not released on intercord. 2012 CDs Ain't Bad little bit loud for my liking but no slouches