Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Have you seen this? :

All the DR values, assuming they were extracted right, are clearly different, and not like a simple level shift.

bruce2 likes this.
  2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Someone compared the new remasters to the 2012 and found the new ones to be "more warm and less forward". Based on that comment I don't think I will like the 2012 discs, if they are even different at all!

3. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

After further investigation on Discogs, both the 2012's and 2018's say, "Re-mastered from the original tapes, November 2011." On the back cover of the 2018 vinyl of Deuce it plainly says "Re-mastered from the original tapes By Andy Pearce and Matt Wortham, November 2011."
    Rory Gallagher - Deuce
    In the SuperDeluxe article, beyond the headline, which "got" me, it says, "These are straight album reissues." It does say "remastered versions" but it doesn't say when.
    Sorry about that. My Mistake.

I can't account for the DR values........

Wugged likes this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well I have never gone back and forth this much before I ordered vinyl, so my local shop was now able to order me the new version of Top Priority, and will pick up this Friday. Got to give one of these a chance...have a decent system, nothing to crazy but good enough to tell how good these are, can't wait, gonna be a rockin time over the holiday weekend at my pad...

bruce2 likes this.
  5. Unsane

Unsane Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I've not yet made a direct comparison between the 2012s and the 2018s as I have different albums in both series. My general feeling was that the 2018s felt warmer and less forward, but I have yet to compare one of the albums I have from the 2012 releases with one of the new 2018s. It is entirely possible that it's just the albums I bought from the new 2018 remasters (Calling Card and Jinx) happen to sound warmer than some of Rory's other albums.

Being on Linux here I'm not using quite the same DR meter as most Windows folks, but of the 200 odd CDs I've analyzed with the Linux tools all of them have matched up exactly with the levels recorded in the dr database.

Hopefully someone else will get the opportunity to do a direct comparison between the two sets of remasters and can comment on what they found.

bruce2 and Plan9 like this.
  6. That remastering in 2011 was probably done in hi-res format, and then downsampled to CD resolution. Maybe this is the reason for the minro differences between the 2012 and the 2018 releases. Just a thought/speculation.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I thought about tha, but if you look at Jinx, there is one track (Nothing but the Devil) with a 3 DR point difference (!!) between the two. Downsampling would create, at best 1 DR point difference, if any.

8. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

I originally decided not to get these because I've got all the 2012s, and there was rumour that these were the same mastering...

But I've just taken a punt on the CD of Deuce... mainly because of the rather obvious distortion/clipping on the main guitar on Used to Be that was revealed on the 2012 remasters.

Over all I LOVE the 2012s - finally it all sounded like I remembered back in the early 80s in my various bedsits... But Used to Be annoyed me because it's the first Rory track I ever heard and I was a converted life-long fan before that first play finished... and .... er... that clipping... oh dear, so sad... :laugh:

Anyways, just finishing listening to the whole album (2018) - it's fab... and... that clipping on the main guitar is virtually gone. The opening sounds loads better. There always were some scrunchy bits, it's a very lively rough and ready sounding recording, they were obviously pushing things to the limits while tracking. But I'm very happy now. REALLY happy.

I've been comparing the booklets while listening - they are identical apart from:

"Remastered from the original tapes by Andy Pearce & Matt Wortham at Wired Masters, November 2011"​

and

"24bit High Resolution remastering from the original tapes by Andy Pearce & Matt Wortham at Wired Masters 2017"​

I've just been comparing the 2018 and 2012 Used to Be back to back... NO WAY AM I EVER LISTENING TO THE 2012 version of this album again!

The 2012 sounds thicker and more "rock", but it suffers from some clipping in a few places that used to bug me - especially the opener. Just been listening to Crest of Wave - the slide in this (and the solo in Used to Be) actually sounds more Les Paul than Strat/Tele.

The 2018 sounds leaner and more in-your-face in some places. The vocal sounds slimmer/thinner - it's almost like the eq choices in 2011 were to improve the vocal. Because the fat's been taken away on the 2018, the reverb on tracks is a lot more noticeable - that's the first thing I noticed when I put the CD on when I unwrapped it... it was "oh yeah, there used to be loads of reverb on this didn't there? Forgotten that..." And the leads are sounding like the strats and teles he was playing. And the bass and drums are a lot more present - I can hear more of everything... His vocal definitely sounds thinner, but you can hear more breath and wobble to it... ok, it's less "easy-listening" on the vox side, but I much prefer hearing this much of the performance in his vocal (I'm a singer myself, I love hearing how others have to work for it too! :laugh:)

The other song where the clipping on the guitars really showed on the 2012 was Maybe I Will. This one is really interesting, on the 2018 there's almost more of it! But it's musical and seems to fit the track and I didn't even notice first time round... The whole track sounds more lively and interesting on the 2018.

Oh wow! Just compared In Your Town... it's sublime now. The 2012 is loads fatter and in the end rocks less because of it. It's also got a bit of extra top-end the 2018 doesn't seem to have. The 2018 just skips along and sounds... fabulous... I can hear the tone of voice both in the vocals and in the slide on the tele that made me want to do it like that back in the early 80s. I can't hear it so well on the 2012.

Just had one last listen to the 2012 Used to Be... yep, that's just not right is it... the leaner sounding 2018 is closer to the old vibe (as far as I can remember!!)(and I used to be able to see my knees when I was standing up back then, too...)

... I've possibly got a little bit of a problem now, haven't I? (Glances over at the set of 2012s on the shelf...) :D:D:D:D:D

9. Unsane

Unsane Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed comparison. After reading your experiences I think I will definitely be upgrading my version of Deuce. I sympathize with wanting to replace all of the 2012s now... I'm just glad I've only got two!

Curious Breeze and Andrew Russe like this.
  10. Andrew Russe

Yep, just been listening to the first album - I think that'll benefit in exactly the same way...

So I've just ordered Rory Gallagher, Live In Europe, and Stage Struck.

My reasoning for these two live ones is they used to BIG favourites of mine... but I hardly ever listen to them now - even though, with the 2012 versions, you've got more bass/bottom-end than you used to... so give them a go :rolleyes:

(And all the rest are on my wish list now!)

ragepil and Curious Breeze like this.
  11. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

It's Rory Gallagher so after this reviews I have a strong feeling to replace them all :uhhuh: (or keep both :D)

Andrew Russe likes this.
  12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

A few years ago I was looking to find the best CD versions of Rory Gallagher and generally was recommended the German Intercord versions except for Deuce which used a remix of the album. The only one I'm aware of that uses the original mix for Deuce is the Eagle release from 2011.

Andrew Russe likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My local shop just called me and told me my 2018 vinyl of Top Priority just came in, so I will pick it up tomorrow and give feedback on the pressing/sound after a couple spins...no need to comment on the music itself as most of us already know what a classic this baby is!

Some good feedback from Andrew Russe on the CD of Deuce!

Andrew Russe likes this.
  14. Andrew Russe

The missus just came home, I put the Deuce on and she went "oh! yes... that's loads nicer" ... I am now fully sanctioned to get the whole lot :D

So, since first hearing Used to Be in 1980 I've owned:

The whole lot on vinyl
    The first set of remasters - most of them remixes, I hated and loathed them, but I have kept them.
    The 2011/12 set of remasters - back to the original mixes, YIPPEE, but there was that clipping on Deuce

And now, I'm about to collect the whole lot again 2017/2018 - original mixes, EQ on Deuce sounds more like I remember the vibe of the originals, so I have high hopes for the rest...

Easily fooled aren't we?!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

scotti likes this.
  15. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Correct. Plus the first two tracks are reversed on the Capo. Instead of starting with Used To Be, I'm Not Awake Yet is the first track. Easíly corrected.

migrantwing likes this.
  16. Andrew Russe

I'd forgotten that! At first I was thinking "what?" the Capo/Legacy one in my hands has the right order... but that's the 2012 I'm just about to retire.
    I just checked, the 1998 (remixed and remastered) Capo has the opening tracks swapped.
    The one I hated most out of that 1990s run was what they did to Jinx... unbelievable mess, I was so upset when I got it.

17. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Fortunately Jinx is not a problem. The old West German Intercord 845.111 is a great-sounding CD.

fenderesq likes this.
  18. Andrew Russe

The "old" 2012 remaster of Jinx is pretty good too... back to original mix and track sequence and artwork.

However(!) I am about 20 minutes away from hearing the 2018 remaster as I type... and I fully expect to find that one preferable for me.

Since last posting I've taken delivery of the following 2018 remasters on CD:

Yesterday:
    Rory Gallagher S/T - every bit as wonderful as the Deuce I was writing about a few days ago (again, a leaner sound than the 2012, I was in tears a couple of times it was so good to hear like this - Just the Smile, the leads in I Fall Apart, Hands Up, and For the Last Time... those strat tones are the ones that a 17 year-old NWOBHM me heard in 1980 and went "oh wow... that's what I'm trying to do - how does he do it?")
    Live in Europe - same treatment, only quickly skimmed it yesterday, my impression is I prefer this to the 2012 after a quick A/B
    Stagestruck - last night this one seemed closer to the 2012, it is the same treatment, but the overall effect was "swings and roundabouts". Listened to it again this morning - I'm happy (except they've still got the bonus tracks sandwiched between Moonchild and Follow Me... they just don't fit there, and... oh well, they've been there for so long now I'm almost used to it! It does kind compromise the start of Follow Me, though ... same problem with Live in Europe, actually)

Then, this morning the next batch arrived. I'm in the middle of first listen:
    Photo-finish - so good like this.
    Top Priority - My favourite Rory album (his too, I understand), just finishing... this is wonderful
    Jinx - about to start now :-popcorn:

Irish Tour 74 (my favourite live album) is coming later today - I nearly didn't bother, I've been very happy with the 2012, and I have the the big Irish Tour set from a few years ago. But I'm looking forward to it now.

And, er, tomorrow, everything else arrives! (Blueprint, Tattoo, Against the Grain, Calling Card, Defender, Fresh Evidence).

Over all I'm liking this set more than the 2012s ... the guitar parts just sound more "Rory", how I remember them from when I played the LPs to death in the 80s/90s. I have to admit, the 2012s did too up until a day or so ago... but side by side, the 2018s just sound more emotional for me - if that makes any sense at all.

I imagine some might find these 2018s a bit bright (Stagestruck is - but it always was, though!), they are all very "clear sounding". But one thing I've noticed this morning - and I'm not much of an audiophile, so take this with a pinch of salt - I've been listening to Rory ALL morning at a volume that I haven't indulged in for a very long time... and I'm feeling absolutely no need to give my ears a rest like I would usually expect to with things this loud. I'm also finding that the louder I push these CDs, the better they seem to get. Yesterday I found I didn't like turning the 2012s up to this volume...

A few days ago, I was really happy with the 2012s, I really wasn't going to buy them all again... except for that hideous clipping on Used To Be on Deuce... But here I am, I've bought the whole lot again. And I'm glad I have. (I assume Donal is too! :laugh:)

Oh, and Jinx, 2018 - SUPERB. I bought the vinyl the day it came out... I knew half the songs already because of the gigs we'd been going to... But I don't think I've ever enjoyed this album as much as this first listen I'm doing today. Title track on now - it's so good - that horn section is right there (without it being turned louder than Rory like it was on the 1998 remix!) - the guitar, oh bliss, and his vocal. Bourbon next, set-opener from those days... let's see... Oh yes... this rocks just like it should. The slide overdubs are just glorious - and all the layers of rhythm guitars are jangling so clearly (in the 1998 remix, they turned up the slightly out of time acoustics and screwed the whole thing).

I think this (Jinx) is possibly the best one so far. There actually seems to be more dynamics than on the original LP! This album (compared to Top Priority) always seemed to be pretty much "one gear" soundwise. Listening now I'm getting a lot more loud and quiet vibes. Ride on Red is kicking serious butt.

And WOW - the first bonus, Nothin But the Devil, sounds the best it ever has to me. I've had it since Stagestruck was first released (it was a free single with the live Hellcat on the other side - that's one of the bonuses on Stagestruck now). And Lonely Mile is pretty good too - unlike most of the other bonuses on all the CDs, this one sounds almost like it could have gone on the album! :laugh:

Finally, back in the 80s, me, my band, and my sound engineer used to chill out in my bedsit and the drummer would go "put the Rory on", and we'd listen to Photo/Top/Jinx straight through, chain-smoking and drinking tea... That's what I've just done (minus the gigs and tea, and the band and engineer) with these new CDs, and there's a GREAT BIG grin on my face. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

19. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Really good news about these 2018's. I don't know why they didn't include that bit about
    on the outside of the covers.
    Sounds like it's time to pick up the Self Titled CD.

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Andrew for a nice review. You obviously know this material well so I will take a punt on some 2018 cds.

I have a bunch of older Rory cds but only a couple of 2012s. I assume the vinyl 2018 versions use the same sources as the 2018 cds - is that correct?

21. Andrew Russe

Cheers guys.

I have them all now (the original releases, studio and live, not going to bother updating the others).

They're all lovely but the stand-out for me so far is Irish Tour 74, there is something really tasty about this one - even my wife can hear it. It was my FAVOURITE album (all albums, all artists) for many many years... but it hasn't really been since the 1998 remaster (the first time I got it on CD). I got the box set, and it's tasty, but there's just too much of it for regular listening. When I got the last remaster in 2012 I thought that was it... but I've realised I've only listened to it twice since I bought it. This new 2018, I've listened to it 5 times in less than a week - it's fabulous, really comforting.

Honourable mention too for Against the Grain. The new version of this one, like Jinx, has really re-ignited my interest in the album. For me, these two always been in second place to the Calling Card/Photo Finish/Top Priority run. Those three are every bit as good I was hoping for, but now I find myself reaching for Against the Grain and Jinx first.

I must admit I haven't yet given Blueprint and Tattoo enough attention - they were always the least interesting to me in the 80s - but I have a feeling they might be about to go up in my estimation too.

Oh, and Photo Finish, it might be worth mentioning this - every time I put the new one on it's "oh! this might not be as good as I thought it was". But when the first note of the second track starts it's "WOW! That's good" and it stays pretty much the same all through after that. The 1998 remix (especially) and the 2012 remaster didn't give that impression so obviously. And then I remembered, the vinyl I bought 2nd hand in 1980 or so was always like that. My impression was always "cool songs but naff sound", and in my mind I applied it to the whole album. I'd put the album on and first impression was always "it's a bit meh", but you accepted it and always ended up listening to the whole thing, and you always left feeling satisfied. But the problem was actually just the opener, the studio Shin Kicker, nothing else ... it just is what it is: a bit weedy and "less shin kicking" compared to the live version on Stage Struck, and also compared to the rest of Photo Finish... I'm wondering is that why Rory himself wanted to remix this album? Was it because the opener Shin Kicker just wasn't as good as it should've been and could've been just a few months later? I understand that the first remix of the 1998 run was this one, Photo Finish. The booklet said how it was remixed based on notes Rory had made. And yes, it did sound much meatier... but after a few listens you started hearing some choices that were "interesting" but not something I wanted to listen to regularly. Added to that you couldn't get the original mix on CD... You can now, since 2012, and the 2018 is even better... Were they sucked into "improving" several albums in 1998 based on what they felt they got out of Photo Finish, and that was because of what they believed to be Rory's desires... but it was all because of that one song?

Anyways, 2018s versus 2012s, I'm very happy with the 2018s - I've even forgotten I've just paid for them all. My preferred versions are now the 2018s, and Irish Tour 74 is glorious to my ears - just makes me feel really good/happy listening to it.

I think it's all going to be down to personal taste, really, though. I wouldn't be that upset still listening to the 2012s (apart from a couple of tracks on Deuce) - so whether someone wants to get sucked into buying them again is up to them. Personally I think it was worth it.

Finally, for new listeners, trying/hearing him for maybe for the first time, I'm REALLY happy that these masters are what's out there now - this seems more like the stuff we were getting excited about in the 70s/80s (rather than those remixes and the stuff on the Big Guns remix/compilation). So many times over the past nearly 20 years I've wondered whether it was just me getting old and stick-in-the-mud... there must be something about familiarity of the old mixes and trying to recapture my youth... But last Saturday night we turned the tv off and listened to a few, notably IT 74 for the first time in this form ... My wife is familiar with the album, but she'd never heard the original (she'd never heard of Rory until she met me in 2002). She has heard the 2012 but... with this 2018 version she stopped doing what she was doing and asked "Oh! Is this what it was like? This is SO much more enjoyable and engaging" ... and then she asked to hear it again a day or so later. She never asks me to put one of my CDs on! :laugh:

laf848, AGimS, The Quiet One and 2 others like this.
  22. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Alredy bought all the 2018 CD's (I have now the 98 japanese pressing and the 2012).

Any words on BBC, Wheels Whithin Wheels and Notes from San Francisco? Are those an upgrade as well?

Andrew Russe likes this.
  23. Andrew Russe

I'd be interested in hearing about this too.

However, I'm not currently planning on getting them. Glad I have the originals, but I rarely listen to them. Unless something spectacular has happened I can't see it being worth me buying them again.

Last weekend we listened to BBC, it was ok, but we didn't finish it and I couldn't imagine a remaster changing how often I reach for it. I was listening to Notes while typing my previous post, same with that. And Wheels, doesn't really grab me, of the three, I didn't really think much of this when it first came out.

24. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I've got a bunch of the Buddha remasters from 10/15 years ago. Do the 2018's have the original mixes? If I'm not mistaken some of the Buddhas were remixes.

25. Andrew Russe

All the 2018s are original mixes (as were the 2012s).

Crimson Witch and Flaming Torch like this.