RSD 2020 (10/24 - third drop) pressing/overall quality thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Let's discuss the pressing and overall quality of the third and final RSD 10/24 2020 drop here.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The Jimmy Giuffre set on ORG is well pressed and sounds fine. Not impressive for the price but serviceable. The music, however, is amazing.

The Grateful Dead box is, as usual, fantastic. Great sound and a very handsome presentation.

ODShowtime, djost and Isitquiex like this.
  3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

The Miles Davis lp sounds very good.

Sean, BrentB, Spadeygrove and 6 others like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Miles Davis and Stonebone are both great.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I picked up the Miles Davis LP (Double Image). It sounds great.

And Lou Reed/John Cale's Songs For Drella. Also sounds great. Etching of Andy on side D.

Jellis77, bloodlemons and Beamish13 like this.
  6. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

My copy of A Quick Live One! is defective. There’s a slight cut-out on the edge of the record and a horrible static sounding scratch during Eric Burdon’s introduction and the opening guitar chords of Substitute. Same on side two. Newbury Comics said “no returns” but I think they have to take this one back.
    Otherwise it sounds great.

J_D__ likes this.
  7. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

Booker T sounds great. Great bottom end.

The Specials 10" also sounded good but it's a pretty short EP (three tracks)

8. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

Stonebone sounds good though I might give it a cleaning as I heard a couple of pops; but overall dynamics are good.

I knew nothing about this release before reading about it and I'm enjoying it.

Isitquiex likes this.
  9. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Any Cheap Trick opinions?

Sean, Queezma, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  10. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

On the Johnny Cash now, and it sounds like he’s here playing the music! Quiet vinyl, clear and amazing sound!

Played The Who before this, and again, flat and quiet vinyl, sound is incredible!

A great 2 for 2 for me today!

RJ3000 likes this.
  11. pablohoney

pablohoney Forum Resident

Anyone get “The London Suede” and can comment on quality? It’s clear vinyl so I’m a bit apprehensive to purchase.

Beamish13 likes this.
  12. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

Good to hear about The Who. I was curious to hear how this one sounded.

Might look to pick up online then.

13. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Listening the Cheap Trick right now. Wow! The performances are killer and, so far, my pressing is perfect. Oh, it comes with a download code. I’m very happy I bought this.

14. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Listening to Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest right now. I only have an old CD copy (don't know which pressing) that doesn't sound very good so I thought that the RSD vinyl may be an upgrade. On first listen, the vinyl is reasonably quiet. Disc 1 is reasonably flat, but disc 2 is warped. The sound is quite compressed with a lot of mid-bass, but is clear and sounds good overall. The treble is not as tipped up as on my CD and it sounds more coherent. Cover and vinyl appearance are top-notch, with the embossed cover jumping out at the viewer and the vinyl in a cool black inside of translucent blue.

Even though it sounds good and has great packaging, I'm not sure if I would spring for this for $40 again. I have no earthly reason why they decided to make it a two-LP set at 45 RPM except to extract more cash from the buyer. The album is not exactly an audiophile recording, is short in duration, and the dynamics are not that different from my CD copy. From browsing Discogs, it looks like I can get an original U.S. VG+ or VG++ copy for $50, and I usually prefer original pressings. I love the album and have a mediocre CD copy that drew me in, but I probably should have saved my pennies and got the first U.S. edition.

LordThanos1969 and Robotlove like this.
  15. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Songs For Drella - excellent, though I had a little bit of crackle at the end of side 1. Otherwise clean and flat.

Pinata - excellent sound, pressing is clean and flat .

Double Image - excellent sound, Disc 1 has a very slightly noticeable warp, but only to the extent that I can't say that it's perfectly flat.

Stonebone - excellent sound, clean and flat.

Haven't played the Dead yet, but 4/4 is a great start for modern vinyl, especially stuff pressed for RSD.

Dan Steele, Joe Spivey and Beamish13 like this.
  16. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

That's good news. I purchased one on eBay this morning.

longdist01 and bigdoug920 like this.
  17. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

The Dead has a very similar sound to the Cornell Show. It is mastered at a low volume. You do have to turn it up but the sound is great.

An excellent show as the intensity is there from the get go.

chacha likes this.
  18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

All good reasons why I ended up skipping this one. I love the album but a double 45 RPM wasn’t really necessary to be honest.

jimhb and boboquisp like this.
  19. Bigseven

Bigseven Forum Resident

Definitely take it back. I have played mine and it is quiet and there are no issues.

landerstnkb likes this.
  20. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Well the Booker T. album sounds fantastic. Mine is flat and on-center. Great AAA mastering on this one, nice tip-on gatefold for only $25.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  21. mo456

mo456 Forum Resident

Any opinions on Dexter Gordon's The Squirrel? I skipped that one this morning and am getting hit with the FOMO

Snutedute likes this.
  22. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

I concur. One of my favorite pick ups from all the RSD's I've done over the last 10 years!

longdist01 and chacha like this.
  23. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The fact I did not spend any money on Jazz this time around?? Yes, crazy to leave the Dexter Gordon alone, but glad others enjoyed it.

1. Rolling Stones Metamorphosis - A grab for the sake this is one of my favorite Rolling Stones Lps. Pressing is slightly hissy because of the PVC they used. They could have done a splatter, but for some, this was good enough. No regrets, but not perfect.
    2. Judas Priest Sad Wings Of Destiny - 4th copy I've had of this and this seems to better everything except maybe a UK Gull. Rainbo, when they were a pressing plant had to work with a damaged stamper for the KOTCH 33.3rpm pressing. This one is better, but the volume could have been louder in the cut. Still, excellent.
    3. Lou Reed & Cale - Songs for Drella - CB in the dead wax and the pressing looks like it came from Optimal. Not heard it yet, but looks fantastic.
    4. Grateful Dead Buffalo 77, Box - Not listened yet - sorry.
    5. Who - Monterey Pop - Decently cut and pressed on a 3-color R/W/B biscuit. Sounds excellent and tip on jacket made this one a real hit for only $23.

A good time. Looking forward for the Black Friday one.

24. QueenVault

QueenVault Forum Resident

I got the Zevon Greatest Hits. Pressing is good. No pops. Flat. Music sounds really good. The Indifference Of Heaven is a favorite of mine. The snare drum seems more prevalent on Accidentally Like A Martyr. I never liked the mix on the Learning To Flinch live tracks but they sound as good as can be here.

Juggsnelson and Isitquiex like this.
  25. bigdoug920

bigdoug920 Forum Resident

It sounds better to me than I might have expected. Although, I have a high tolerance for stuff like audience recordings as long as the performance is good. The performance is ferocious. If you're a fan of the first two records I highly recommend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.