RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trace

Trace Senior Member

It can help, as it pulls things out from deep down in the grooves. I was very skeptical until I tried it. Lots of youtube videos on the subject if you're interested.

It doesn't always work, but I turned a very crackly-sounding Judas Priest Sad Wings Of Destiny from a VG to an EX. It won't remove hairline scratches, but if you have a clean-looking, noisy record, it might make a significant difference.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    oldjollymon and J_D__ like this.
  2. I headed to the coast where it’s 67. Eating pizza and drinking wine; my house is about 90 degrees.

tubesandvinyl and Trace like this.
  3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Awesome, thanks for the review!
    I also got my pressing (two days ago to be exact) but unfortunately my amp stopped turning on, so I can't say anything about the pressing quality, other than it's a great swirl color haha) My discs look just a tiny bit warped but within what I usually see on new releases. Will confirm later at home, since I still can place them on the TT.

As far as the sound differences you mention - I can't say I'm really familiar with the album, but usually I'm not a fan of treble emhpasis, so more bottom and less highs is totally my alley. As you mentioned, the price for original LP is ridiculous, so I'm glad the reissue was good anyway.

edkall and mr. faded glory like this.
  4. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Went back to my store and they had one copy of soul slabs vol3 left. Decided to give it a shot , and glad I did. Absolutely fantastic pressing , but the music is even more impressive. Talk about a label running on all cylinders. I’ve listened to the other soul slab comps , but I think this is the best one yet.

audiotom and Catunderthestars like this.
  5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I had to google wood glue treatment as I had never heard of it. You learn something new everyday. Thank you

superstar19 likes this.
  6. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Lots of great information/tips on the process on the dedicated thread here on this forum and the thread on audiokarma.

J_D__ likes this.
  7. Soundslave

Just checked the discs: a couple wave-warps on sides A and C (max height is ~2mm between the center of the disc and platter), so that's not that low as I assumed but still I don't see that the cart would jump or do something unwanted. The sound from the cart was also pretty stable without distortion as far as I could listen to (the amp still needs some repair, so no speakers test).

8. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Very pleased with Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, and Chicago Blues Today.
    No issues with any. Great pressings and sound quality.

uzn007 and jumpinjulian like this.
  9. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about your amp man.

Soundslave likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I never gotten this. How do people think LPs get to retailers? In the same hot trucks with no ventilation for hours and hours - with periods of cooling.

Just because humans like 75 F and don’t care so much for 100 F, it doesn’t mean a vinyl record really recognizes the difference. Nor does it know the difference between sitting in a hot warehouse or truck before reaching a retailer or after leaving the retailer for your porch.

This doesn’t mean a record can’t get warped in heat for hours, but the record you order weeks or months from now could have been sitting outside on a pallette (I’ve seen this) and/or in a very hot truck this hottest week of the year.

11. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Overpaid for Behind The Dykes • Beat, Blues And Psychedelic Nuggets From The Lowlands 1964-1972 via a Record Store in Florida (hey aren't they supposed to be capped on price) but I really wanted it.

Then the heatwave here hit. I was expecting the worst (vinyl ashtray) but my copy only has a slight warp. Sounds good on the initial spin this AM.

I went a little crazy on this drop. I have so much to listen to yet.

12. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

It would be helpful if we knew when records actually warp. I found this on the web, but no idea if it’s true or not.

“A typical vinyl record can start warping due to heat at a temperature of 140°F (60°C)”

If 140C were really the threshold temp, I think most people wouldn’t worry about it too much. I had several RSD records arriving to a parcel locker and was worried I’d have problems since the sunlight directly hits the lockers in the late afternoon and were sitting there for a week in 90-100 degree temps, but they were actually fine.

I also see posts on here and other audio forums questioning if it’s safe to play records when the inside of your house is hot, which is something I never worried about as I think records can withstand more heat than a human can, but I think it’s just the overall lack of definitive knowledge on the subject that makes people worry.

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Wouldn't these albums have to sit out in direct sun for a while and then be subjected to an extreme temperature change (cold) be affected?

Just curious, my packages are currently left in a hallway indoors so I don't really have many worries about this even though Georgia heat can get pretty intense.

They are getting subjected to heat all the time though, pressing plant > air delivery > ground delivery. I can see the direct sunlight and 100+ temps being a problem though.

Just curious as I don't really know.

14. Sure. I either in record stores though the 79s abs we’d get delivers from got tricked every week during summer.

But most single packed albums sent out by retailers and sellers don’t come in 25 box count LP boxes (which help) and don’t sit in mail trucks all day long in either end of the delivery route. Or on a hot doorstop or post box

15. To all in this thread:

Take a flat record you don't care about, pack it like Amazon does, set it on your step on a hot day for as long as you can, report back.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve had lots of records sit outside my door or in a metal mail delivery box (sometimes for days because I travel for work a lot) on days well into the 90s. And god only knows where is was and under what conditions in the days or weeks or months leading up to that. No extraordinary issues I’ve ever noted.

Obviously at some heat point and for some length of time, heat will affect a vinyl record. And I wouldn’t want one in a hot car with the windows rolled up on a sunny mid-summer day. But there are literally thousands of vinyl plastic items which sit in hot sun for days on end and the vast, vast majority manage to survive just fine.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How is a 25 count box any better than a single pack mailer?

And again, sitting in a mail truck all day long is just the tip of an iceberg.

18. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

A quick google search shows multiple sources saying that a record will begin to warp at 140 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in New Orleans and it is hot. I never have warp issues when I come home during the summer to records sitting on my porch in the sun.

Barnyard Symphony and marcb like this.
  19. neilspeed

neilspeed Forum Resident

Anyone compared Fixx - Reach the Beach RSD release versus the original 1983 Kevin Grey cut? Which did you prefer?

20. Me neither. It's the UV rays one has to watch for. If records are in a garage and it's pitch black, there shouldn't be issues and I live where it gets hot. Of course, I wouldn't store records that are your favorite in the garage. Sometimes it's inevitable.

21. I finished listening to the Dead in Paris box. It sounds terrific. I especially loved the second set. The version of "Sing Me Back Home" by Merle Haggard is the highlight from the first set.

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Personal experience in regards to when a record warps:

Ages ago, I left my job at the record store around 5 PM to play a gig. WEA had given us some free promo "vinyl samplers" (full album with a bunch of different random artists) so I took one with me. Left the record on my front seat, exposed to direct sunlight, while I did the gig. (Obviously at some point the sun set and the record was no longer in the sun.) When I got home that evening, I put the record on my TT and it was warped to an almost comical degree.

I don't think heat alone will warp a record that fast, but IF you place a slab of vinyl in direct sunlight, without the protection of packaging, it doesn't take long to warp the hell out of it.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Strength in numbers. It’s a real thing

groovelocked, Neonbeam and captouch like this.
  24. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Warriors fan?

Mazzy likes this.
  25. Soundslave

No worries. I think the repair shop can do something about it once again :) It's only the power switch that is malfunctioning, if the amp somehow will turn on - all the goods will be in the speakers as usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.