RSD Black Friday 2019: The List is Posted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clucking, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

That is good news, I always really liked that album. Definitely looking forward to hearing it in real mono, as I've heard a few mono mixes of the singles, which sound fantastic. Thanks for the info!

2. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

I hope I don't have to fight anyone for that Runaways LP!

Michael Rose likes this.
  3. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Same here, I’ll be sitting this one out.

Rickchick likes this.
  4. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

The only thing even remotely interesting at this point is the live Marshal Tucker Band Live lp-do we anticipate any later additions to the offerings?

5. I assume the Chet Baker is just an individual release from the 5 LP box, which I would like. Also, not to complain that Paul Westerberg's Stereo/Mono is nice BUT what I really hoped for was 14 Songs, which was re-issued for 5 minutes by Plain Records about 5 years ago. It must have been a very small run because I never even got a chance at one and they quickly shot up on the resell market.

6. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Is that it?!

I might get the Miles and Zappa releases, but hardly need them.

7. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Pearl Jam Unplugged? OMG finally!!!

Kyhl, Soundslave, Vinyl_Blues and 3 others like this.
  8. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The Claypool Lennon Delirium did "Astronomy Domine" on an EP, and they opened their New Orleans show with it back in the Spring, and it was so good!

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  10. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man

That man is just incredibly talented, always puts on a good show.

beatleroadie likes this.
  11. Agreed. I want to hear it in mono. I'm assuming Ahmed picked out a good one from the vault. In any event, "Little Umbrellas" is most welcome. God, I love that song alone. It almost doesn't need "Peaches en Regalia" for it to be a nice listening.

12. This is at the top of my list for sure.

boboquisp likes this.
  13. I would assume it's a dedicated mono mix since it was released right on the tail end of mono releases in the USA (later for the U.K. as most already know). When I think of fold downs, I think of "Let it Bleed" (some may disagree) or the Brazilian "Let it Be" or "Get Your Ya Ya's Out". I think of mostly mono versions from 1969-1970.

14. That makes it a must. It's the best Steppenwolf album imo and most of the used copies are trashed. I also like the live Avalon '66 show as well--that 21-minute "The Pusher". That song is so easy-rider burned into my head. I always loved that movie among my all-time tops.

elaterium likes this.
  15. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

I'm very much hoping that the lazy, awful 'cover' showing for the live Alice Cooper album is some kind of holding graphic . That would be a real missed opportunity. I have this stuff on the Billion Dollar Babies bonus CD already so if that's the artwork I'm out.

Last
    Black Friday there was an absolutely stellar job on the packaging of 'Live At The Astroturf'.

Very much looking forward to having 'The Raven' on vinyl.

mestreech and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

So,The Doors Isle of Wight vinyl will be the same mix as the cd/Bluray?

17. That's a good question since I already have the blu-ray version of it. I'm passing on the vinyl.

steveharris likes this.
  18. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

This is one of the weakest Record Store Day group of releases in my memory. I don't see one "must" for me. The Hank Williams and Patsy Cline, particularly the HW since it's just a 7" (The PC will be about $50). But there's nothing that makes me want to get up early and stand in (or on) line. Just as well. I have a bunch of other things I have to budget for right now.

Drew769 likes this.
  20. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I agree, and I'm happy, too. I'm a little tired of getting burned because, for most titles, it's a crap shoot — there's rarely any information on source, mastering engineer, or pressing plant prior to release day, and there's often just one chance to get a copy at the original price. Or, conversely, not be able to pick up a really worthwhile release because the local store didn't get any copies (or just a couple).

I would like to pick up the Miles Davis, "Early Minor", even though it's probably from digital, because I love the IASW box set and it would be nice to have a companion to the main album, on vinyl. Hopefully that one won't be too scarce.

Geddy Lee seems an odd choice, but I played the CD again for the first time in a while, after seeing it on the list, and it's better than I remembered, so that's a maybe. (Depends on who cut it.)

Does anyone know if Infrasonic Mastering can do AAA cuts? They supposedly cut the (ORG Music) Cecil Taylor release ("Indent"). I've streamed the album a few times, and while I'm not sure it's something I would listen to often, it is kind of growing on me. So that might be another "maybe".

In Canada, BF is a regular work day here (our Thanksgiving is in October), which is good and bad. The one time I actually went at opening time, there was no one else there — I had the run of the store. But this year, I'm not working near any of the stores, so I probably can't go until the evening.

21. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life Thread Starter

Tom Favata and ian christopher like this.
  22. Browntown

Browntown Active Member

Going on a cruise with my in laws this week. Will be de-boarding in Miami on Black Friday. I do see a couple shops listed on the RSD site. Can any Miami locals shed any insight on which stores are best for RSD releases? It will more than likely be mid morning before Ill get there to shop.

23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I’ll be picking this one up. I liked his solo album and it’ll be nice to have it on vinyl. I’m still wishing they would reissue their very first single Not Fade Aeay/You Can’t Fight It for RSD. It would sell like hot cakes if they did I’m sure. Maybe Alex Lifeson’s solo project Victor will get a vinyl reissue as well.

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. It's one of the few remaining Rush projects not on LP. And the final track, "Grace To Grace," is as good as any Rush song.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  25. I'll be getting:

Thomas Dolby
    Hall & Oates - Home For Christmas (their "Christmas Must Be Tonight" is THE definitive version)
    Geddy Lee (not a great album, but that final track - worth it)
    Frank Zappa 10"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.