RSD Black Friday 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Oct 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah they’re good. I was going to order from them this time but jumped on these while I had a chance. I ordered a few from Plaidroom the first wave of RSD releases back in August. Took a little bit for them to send but were packed great and got a sticker. I’m a sucker for free stickers.

2. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

RW-audio and MartyTem like this.
  3. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Good to hear. I ordered two albums from them last weekend and am anxious to get shipping confirmation. Not that I’m in a rush, I just want to make sure I’ve secured those albums before they’re gone everywhere else.

4. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

You are most certainly welcome. If I can help my fellow forum members and my local record store, I consider that double karma points. :)

theebrianrector42 likes this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well... handpoured.

6. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I love the sound of Evans In England.

7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I need to give it another listen. Like I was saying earlier, a lot of it is about expectations, and with those reset, I need to give it another shot.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  8. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

9. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

10. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Just picked up Fountains Of Wayne from my local store. What a fabulous job they've done with this - nice, flat, swirly grey & black vinyl....sounds terrific. That's a 100% QC strike rate for me across all 3 RSD drops & BF. Not a solitary pop, click or crackle across everything I picked up and not even the tiniest warp. Far & away the best ever year for the quality of RSD pressings.

Rocketdog, aseriesofsneaks and Peachy like this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My Lou Reed Live discs also had some warping issues. Unfortunately, also some leading edge surface noise that may be nonfill. It’s hard to tell with colored vinyl as it’s hard to visualize irregularities.

The warping is not a big deal for me because I can remedy that with the Vinyl Flat. The noise could be another story. Hopefully it will settle done a bit with a few plays. Sound quality is pretty good though IMO.

12. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

uzn007, Engineer X and Chris Treece like this.
  13. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Both discs on my copy are perfectly flat, no issues at all :)

14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

So yeah, not the best luck with the Lou Reed Live in my case. Magic and Loss, however, is a great pressing with excellent sound and the usual Lou Reed magic.

uzn007 and hhjack like this.
  15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Did the Lou Reed Alice Tully set come with a download?

16. tap

tap Forum Resident

yes

Chris Bernhardt and uzn007 like this.
  17. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

18. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...the only RSD Black Friday release I sprang for was The Jarvis Cocker Album LP+7" reissue, with which I'm quite happy. The 7" is a little crackly in its quieter passages (cleaning improved it immensely), but the LP is flat, quiet, and supremely thumpy, which suits the sort of Spector-esque sonic stew Cocker was going for. Packaging is fantastic: Textured jacket, cool two-toned LP (two different shades of green), printed inner sleeve...the weird card holding the 7" is a little odd, so I just put that in a generic sleeve. Really nice overall.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

as a straight up replica of the original, i'm also quite thrilled with it. i was most looking forward to both jarvis albums. i guess i'm lucky that no one else really was apparently as there were plenty to be had.

20. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

The Tesla Great Radio Controversy sounds great. Don’t have an original to compare but this one sounds very good. Not quite the full oomph and deep end I would like but these guys are good and this record is one I am glad I bought.

21. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...was surprised to hear that other folks here somehow got black vinyl versions. Dead stock of the original pressing? Not sure what happened there. Mine had a hype sticker touting the split-colour vinyl, which one of the black vinyl recipients said was missing from theirs.

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ha! the first one i grabbed was indeed a straight-up black pressing. i didn't even pay attention as i grabbed it from the bin.

it's a reissue though, not to worry. totally different vinyl cut/pressing plant than the original. i think rough trade had intended these to be released some day, i'm just not sure when. they're apparently available in the UK.

Collapsed Lung and MoonPanda like this.
  23. My indi store would HAND deliver free if within 60 miles, and over $60 so, yesterday I received:

Red Headed Stranger, LIVE
    Herbie Hancock
    Sharon Jones Dap Kings

All with social distancing, masks and gloves.

Happy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Walt, Grow Fins, maui jim and 4 others like this.
  24. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

The Sharon Jones is the only one of the three I have and I love it

25. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I did! I did a phone order from one store, but had to walk into another to get the Sharon Jones record, but they had plenty when I was there. It was worth going out for. That’s probably the last record we’re going to get unless they release a live album. I’m still hoping they do that. I know that they recorded the Apollo shows, if nothing else.

aldop38 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.