RSD Miles Davis Kind of blue Mono 180g limited edition Legacy vs MOVLP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radam40, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Would it be profitable to manufacture fake MONO pressings of Kind Of Blue?
    To clarify, MOV did put all the stickers for this on the plastic resealable protection sleeve, not on the actual sleeve. This is their common modus operandi, by the way.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

To Sebastian : It does seem to be the US RSD release, judging by the deadwax information. Without the limited edition numbering and Record Store Day affiliation/logo.
    Playing it now, nothing seems amiss, in any case.

As to the profits of record forgery : who the hell knows ?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

mycroft likes this.
  4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

The RSD Mono Kind of Blue now seems to be OOP but was able to pick up the non-numbered Sony version that is MONO. Had to go through two copies but the second copy is superb!

The only copy that I will ever try to get now is a Stereo version. Why in the F* I sold my 200g Classic version is beyond me.....:sigh: That record was sublime...

jimhb likes this.
  5. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

6. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

If I was you I'd try What Records. They have it for £16.99 + p&p. I have a copy and it is superb.

7. bibijeebies

8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The original album had the tracks in the correct order, but the listing was incorrect. With MOV it's the same: the tracks play in correct order, but they reproduced the original artwork with the switched up track names. They also reproduced the Cannonball "Adderly" typo, at least on my stereo copy.

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

In the US the Mono was a Legacy release, in the EU it was a MOV pressing hence the different cat numbers

10. bibijeebies

No matter what you do people will be "upset":
    * reproduction original sleeve with incorrect track order...will it play the LP in the original track listing?
    * modified sleeve showing correct track order...oh my they tampered with the original sleeve....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Defrance likes this.
  11. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Thanks all for the help and info - looks like What Records will be cheapest for me.

12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Beware that the MOV version has been mastered and cut in The Netherlands from 24/96 digital files.
    This is not the same version Fremer reviewed, although I understand that came from a digital file too.
    There was never a clear answer to that question (digital or analog sourced). Hope this helpes you.

bibijeebies likes this.
  13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I bought the version you linked to on amazon.co.uk (ASIN : B00FMRWAD6) from an Amazon Marketplace dealer (Dodax-online) for £11.23, and am very happy with it.
    In all the ways that matter, it is indeed the version reviewed on Analog Planet. It's the Sony Legacy Kind of Blue mastered by Ryan Smith and pressed by RTI. The only difference is that it's not a numbered RSD exclusive.
    I like MOV fine, but this should, at worst, be as good, and most likely much better.

14. NielsV1969

NielsV1969 New Member

For me personally it's very frustrating to go into a shop in Amsterdam and not being able to buy the best version out there. Assuming the US RKS Sterling version is the best version available. According to everything we have read, the same digital file was used for the US RSD version and the MOV version. Only the person who did the cutting was different. Maybe the Dutch MOV mastering is better than the Ryan Smith mastering but we assume that a record cut by Ryan Smith, Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray or Steve Hoffman etc. automatically means it's a better sounding record. Because we know what these master cutters have done before. So if MOV would put the initials of the person who does the cutting at MOV in the deadwax, he or she could also make a name for her or himself. And if we like it, we wouldn't be asking for american pressings. We would be satisfied with the original Dutch cutting master!

Just an idea...

Repeter13 likes this.
  15. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I think the source of the US Ryan K. Sterling cut mono KoB was never 'officially' revealed. Usually this mean digital source because all analog would be a perfect marketing tool.
    But the info I got still left room for an all analog cut.
    Up until today, I think.
    Fremer says in a comment on his piece on the 45rpm stereo Mofi that he got info from a direct source that they were all cut digital from 24/96:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/mobile-fidelitys-kind-blue test-pressing-played-ces

The Dutch cutting master is Rinus Hooning, interviewed in the excellent book by (SH forum member) Robert Haagsma 'Passion for vinyl'.

I got my US mono copy from hhv.de. 22,95 euro.

16. David Ellis

I believe the last all analogue issue was the one from Classic a few years back and anymore will be digital, even Mofi's, not that this is a problem providing the SQ is up to scratch.

17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

The answer is in the comments on the AnalogPlanet website, I think:

Someone asks:"Is it correct, that all the current Mofi reissues are expected to have Hires Digital as source?"
    Fremer replies: "Analog tape. The Sony monos are 96/24 based on what I've recently read...from a direct source...."

The Mofi's are analog, says parent company website (MusicDirect) in the description of the forthcoming KoB reissue:
    "Mobile Fidelity 180g 45RPM 2LP Box Set is Definitive Analog Version and Intended to Be Passed on to Generations"

18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

This, because the original three-track tapes are intended to be withheld from generations.

19. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I'm glad I bought a second copy of the Classic 45rpm, cut from the generation 0 tapes, to be passed on to generations.

SteelyTom and David Ellis like this.
  20. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

21. David Ellis

Apologies. I'm certain I read somewhere on Analog Plant it was going to be digital. Obviously not:o

22. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This caused some of the confusion:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...ic-reissue-sonylegacy-analog-planet-exclusive

"Wildler and Berkowitz recently decided to do another and perhaps final 3-track KOB transfer: to DSD, to 192/24 bit PCM (and probably other resolution digital) and at the same time, a two-channel stereo and a mono mixdown to analog tape. The two channel mix down will most likely be the source of a Mobile Fidelity stereo reissue coming later in the year as part of that label's Miles Davis stereo vinyl reissue project."

But I read somewhere that the mono mix was done in the digital domain because a live 3-track to mono mix was virtually impossible. That mix was - apparently - put on to analog tape.

23. Sourcreampudding

Sourcreampudding Forum Resident

Fremer is a constant source of confusion, because he regularly throws out tidbits of information as though he knew what he was talking about, but without any substantive sources to back up his claims, which typically turn out to be misplaced. People should stop taking notice of this knob.

24. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

A bit harsh on the old boy, you can't blame someone for being over enthusiastic and little poetic on the truth.

rockness87 likes this.
  25. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Examples?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.