Rudy Van Gelder CDs - "RVG Edition" vs. "24 Bit By RVG"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand the RVG Editions are not held in high regard, but "24 Bit By RVG" is a completely different series, correct? Are these better overall, or should I also approach with caution?

Here's my specific question...

I am looking at a 1957 Blue Note album by trombonist Curtis Fuller called "The Opener." It looks like I have only two options for CD: RVG Edition released in 2008, or 24 Bit By RVG released in 1999 (Japan).

What is the best choice here? And would that generally hold true for others when both of these are the only options? Or I am totally wrong and these are identical?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can share :)

[​IMG]
    A series of Blue Note albums originally recorded and later remastered in 24 bit by veteran jazz engineer Rudy Van Gelder. These releases are Japanese cardboard sleeve mini-lp reissues with obi.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

All RVGs, both the Japanese and U.S. series, are 24-bit remasters. The early Japanese RVGs and their U.S. counterparts have different masterings. Later Japanese and U.S. RVG series have the same masterings.

JRM likes this.
  3. JRM

Thanks. What is the best option of those you mention? For above, my choices are 1999 Japan or 2008 Europe. The prices difference in this case is not huge so that really isn't a factor.

4. JRM

Same with Donald Byrd - Off to the Races. Not sure if I should go with 1998 Japan or 2006 uS/Europe.

But in this case, there is also a 1993 Japan option, that is part of the "BN Works" 4000 series, which I think I have heard mostly good things about?

5. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

The JRVG series have their share of sonic duds. I have a LeeWay that sounds like it was recorded off AM radio! Other examples ain't too great either.

I'd go with the 'regular' japanese BN discs. I think they are more consistent and sound closer to the vinyl.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry, but RVGs are not my cup of tea (I used to buy them in bulk and sold them all years ago when I found out I didn't like the sound) and I'll refrain from posting a recommendation.

JRM likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've a flexible system and I like the sound of RVGs and Japanese RVGs on my system. In your case I would buy the 2008 editions.

JRM likes this.
  8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

None of the RVG mastered CDs I've heard have been bad enough to stop me from listening to the music, if it is my only option. I prefer the original standard issue CD for most Blue Notes.

JRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.