Run Out Groove: fan-driven, vinyl-only label from Warner Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 4, 2017.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I finally got an update after asking twice for a status update on my case. They will process a 50% refund from my Sepultura's Roots order after the runaround and overcharges.

Swordsandchains and TongueDruid like this.
  2. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

50% of the entire order?! That'd be fantastic

nosliw likes this.
  3. nosliw

Swordsandchains and TongueDruid like this.
  4. TongueDruid

Thanks for the update! Pushed a few months ahead of its initial delay, so that's good. Looks like they stopped taking orders for the red vinyl edition, too.
    How has that Roots box been treating ya, btw? Been crankin the old CD on my commutes lately, it's been so long since I've listened to the album that I forgot how absolutely MONSTROUS (and interesting) it sounds

5. nosliw

The Roots vinyl boxset is pretty sweet, if you ask me even though it's not my top Sepultura album of all time though songs like Roots Bloody Roots, Attitude, Ratamahatta, Straighthate, and Born Stubborn are my favourites. Still, the dynamic range and mastering quality is definitely better than the CD and earlier LP releases.

Run Out Groove certainly knows how to put out high quality reissues and the fact that they're doing Roadrunner releases is opportunity for metal audiophile goodness.

Stormrider77 and TongueDruid like this.
  6. TongueDruid

Same here, I was always a big Arise man, m'self. Most badass thrash album of all time, in my book! Chaos A.D. is right behind it for me... And then BTR, and THEN Roots. But yeah, it's been many years since I've revisited Roots & holy guacamole is it a doozy. I think I appreciate it moreso nowadays than I did back then.

Hopefully the Deicide box remasters are great, tho I have no reason to expect otherwise, as ROG has been doing a great job so far. I had the Deicide & Once Upon The Cross LPs that were pressed like 8 or 9 years ago & remember A/B'ing them against the old CDs and they sounded much less exciting than the CDs, so I sold 'em...

7. nosliw

I'm a huge fan of Sepultura, personally. My favourite release of all time from them is easily Beneath The Remains, followed by Schizophrenia and Arise. I would say that Beneath The Remains is my personal #1 thrash metal album of all time. The post-Max Cavalera era releases with Derrick Green as the main vocalist took me a long while to get used to that era and their last album, Quadra, is very, very good.

With respect to Deicide's Once Upon The Cross, the reissue by Cargo Records aren't generally very good but some of their releases do use more dynamic sounding masters, at least with Deicide's Serpents of the Light that I'm aware of. Speaking of the latter album, I was following Monte Conner's (ex-Roadrunner A&R head-honcho and now working for Nuclear Blast still as A&R head-honcho) Facebook account and he made comments that the guitar tone of that album was done on purpose by the Hoffman brothers and tried to persuade the band and Scott Burns to change the sound but was unsuccessful.

TongueDruid likes this.
  8. TongueDruid

I don't blame him for trying! :laugh: I love Serpents, but holy crap does that guitar tone suck.
    Speaking of Cargo, I used to have some Type O Negative Cargo pressings too, and those ones also paled against the old Roadrunner CDs and ROG vinyl cuts, to me. They were just too recessed on the high-end, comparatively, and sounded more bland/veiled & swollen than the others as a result, upon direct A/B'ing. I still saved my October Rust Cargo though, since I had Johnny Kelley sign that one years ago, but I always just pop on the ROG vinyl from the boxed set, or old CD when I want to listen.

And I'm with ya, Sep has been one of my favorite metal bands since I was a kid! I about wore out my Under Siege Barcelona vhs back in the day... Might still be my favorite concert vid of all time! I definitely gotta check out some more new Derrick-era Sep... I usually like a lot of what I hear, but the songs never seem memorable enough for me to return.

nosliw likes this.
  9. VinylRichieUK

VinylRichieUK Forum Resident

What's the sound like on the Fear Factory - Soul Of A New Machine 3LP black Vinyl set?

10. nosliw

I have the coloured variant and the 3LP sounds excellent across the board, better than the original CD with respect to dynamic range.

TongueDruid and VinylRichieUK like this.
  11. VinylRichieUK

VinylRichieUK Forum Resident

Nice! I saw it on Amazon UK and assume it's the black Vinyl version as it doesn't mention any colour.

12. nosliw

I remember not being very impressed with the Cargo Records reissues of Machine Head's Burn My Eyes and Sepultura's Chaos AD as it sounds too similar to the CD.

With respect to Serpents of Light, even though it's more dynamic sounding, the Optimal Media GmbH DMM cut sounded pretty bad, judging from the vinyl rip I downloaded years ago. A couple mentioned on the Discogs entry that they can hear some inner groove distortion on the third track on Side A, which is around the middle of the record, and can confirm hearing it. I'm optimistic that the ROG release will massacre the Cargo Records releases.

I also remember watching the Under Siege Barcelona on VHS that I rented, as far as I remember and loving it to the point I nabbed the Chaos DVD with all of their home videos (Under Siege, Third World Chaos, and We Are What We Are). Awesome stuff, IMO. The Derrick Green-era stuff has some clunkers like Nation but has steadily improving their music, which Kairos was the beginning of their big improvement.

TongueDruid likes this.
  13. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

My copy of Kyuss, Muchas Gracias arrived today.

I have not played it yet as there is a problem with the order. Run Out Groove has sent me 2 copies of the second record and no first disc, in error.

Ordinarily that would not be a big issue, but I expect this will be a pain to resolve as I'm based in Ireland and it took over a month to arrive after dispatch.

My experience on this order has been very poor and I won't be ordering from R.O.G again. The biggest issue for me was cost if I'm totally honest - but also the lack of comms from them was crap and the packaging of this record is really underwhelming.

Also this record cost me the following:

Subtotal $34.98
    Shipping & Handling $15.99
    Grand Total $50.97

Then I had to pay customs duty once the record arrived to Ireland. I can't blame ROG for that - but it's a real barrier for future as it inflates the cost.

My customs cost was €13 ($14)

So that brings the total for this record up to €60 ($65)!

The record is also available for €38 right now in my local store!!

So I've basically been a complete idiot by attempting to buy a ROG record directly.

Now I need to cut my losses as presumably ROG will next want to send me the missing record - but again I'll have further custom costs as and when that arrives. I expect they will refuse to cover those charges which would mean that this record will have then cost me €73 ($79). Madness.

I'm mentioning all of this as a bit of a warning to others based in Europe that could potentially find themselves in a similar mess! I really wish I had not ordered.

14. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I feel your pain. I had the Kyuss on preorder, but when I saw that it would be available locally, I canceled the preorder. Took me about a month of dealing with ROG customer service to get my money back. I will never order anything from them again.

khanrahan likes this.
  15. nosliw

Ouch, I feel for you. Have you contact ROG's customer service if they will compensate some of the custom charges? It's a mistake on their part that they should deal with, in my opinion, and it doesn't hurt to ask them.

khanrahan likes this.
  16. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

Yeah I contacted them on Friday - I asked for a full refund. No reply as of yet!

nosliw likes this.
  17. nosliw

Let's hope they can provide you additional compensation. It took me several weeks of back and forth from their customer service to action the overcharges for Sepultura boxset while I remained firm and persistent.

khanrahan likes this.
  18. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

Thanks. I’m still waiting for any sort of reply. 6 days in and all I’ve gotten is a generic mail from them with a pointless FAQ.

Also my last mail to them got a bounce back. Terrible customer service. Inexcusable.

But what can you do? Lesson learned. Avoid.

19. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

Can I ask - how are you contacting ROG? Every avenue I've tried just bounces back a day or so later.

20. nosliw

What I did was telling them that their canned responses from their FAQ was inadequate and I was being firm that this was unacceptable. I managed to get that escalated to one of their team leads, one of them named Mac. Though this is still through their generic email address at [email protected]

khanrahan likes this.
  21. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

Yeah that's the address I was using too. But my mails get bounce back.

I'll keep trying. Thanks for the info!

22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

IndieMerch is now selling the Deicide box of the limited red, must not be selling well through ROG website.

They sent me a 10% off coupon randomly so i used it on the set and choose priority shipping, no tax. Got it for $192 all in. Have to pay right away but i did the Paypal Pay in 4 to split it over 3 credit cycle statements.

Deicide "Roadrunner Years (Gimme Exclusive)" Boxset

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

It's February, and they still haven't updated their "vote for the next release" page.
    I think this line is officially dead.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  24. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

They also sent an email claiming that Lunapark pre-orders would start shipping on Jan 27 and as far as I know, nothing's happened with it yet, at least I haven't received any type of shipping notice. It definitely feels like the whole thing is in disarray.

25. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Yes, I received the Jan 27 email as well and have had no further communication. There's a post from a user in another thread here saying that it was delayed into Feb, but no one from Run Out Groove has bothered to let me know that...

EDIT: Here we go. Apparently this latest delay was communicated via Instagram.

Luna - Lunapark deluxe 2LP from Run Out Groove

Dreaddazzman likes this.