Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Freeze

Sorry to be flippant, but the 4th part of this trilogy worked about about as well as the 4th part of the Alien movie trilogy.

Nothing about this track seems to flow, or build a sense of drama, or .... anything.

Even the panic riddled crescendo doesn’t feel like much of a peak, but it is emblematic of the issues with later-period Rush that this song is over 6 minutes long. What was said or done in this song that warranted that length? It doesn’t feel like it really goes anywhere.

ThunderDan, Murph, RicB and 5 others like this.
  2. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"Freeze (Part IV of Fear)" doesn't hold up to the standard set by the first three parts of Fear, at least for me. I do like the "coiled for the spring" section with the jangling guitar as a contrast to the jerky rhythms of the first part of the song. Overall, however, the lyrics don't really connect with me and the song seems too long for the musical ideas it contains. This is probably one of my least favorite tracks on the album, if not my least favorite. I certainly don't think it's outright bad, but it doesn't reach me in any way.

The remix is less fatiguing on the ears, but I actually think it seems neutered compared to the original mix. I think the original mix communicates the anxiety and intensity of the lyrical subject better than the remix does. The "coiled for the spring" section does sound a lot better on the remix, but the rest of the song seems to come off better on the original version.

3. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

This sums up my opinion of Freeze. It takes far too long and doesn't say enough. One of the band's least memorable tracks for me, this comes close to being a skip for me.

4. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven

Freeze (Part IV of Fear)

The Enemy Within, The Weapon, Witch Hunt, Freeze.
    One of these things is not like the others....

Wil1972, ThunderDan, ytserush and 2 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It was code... Neil is telling us to fear the WWW.
    Within Weapon Witch Freeze actually translates to World Wide Web - Fear!

6. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

Freeze

The “Coiled for spring” and “Blood running cold” sections are my favorite parts of this entire album. The transition from the 5/4 bit into these parts really works for me. I love how Geddy’s bass carries the melody, with Alex providing a simple arpeggio in the background. Too bad that there are about 5 minutes of pretty forgettable music surrounding these sections. In fact, this song is so overlong that when I play it in the background I can go from “Wow, this song is bad” to “Wow, this song is great!” and then back to bad again without registering it as the same dang song the entire time.

robcar, ytserush and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

Yes! If they had ended it after the “Sometime I freeze, sometimes I fight” line it would earn another star from me. Boring verses, if they have to exist at all, should at least lead to a chorus payoff. They can be effective in providing contrast for a good chorus. Here, we get a repeat of a boring verse to close out the song. Makes no sense.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Just a guess, but I think it was Bottrill. Either he was unaware of the context in making the album or he just chose to ignore it.

Wil1972 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Another favorite and one I really would have liked to experienced live. Very eerie vibe to it all but very powerful and yet it has a tasty melody.

Also this was probably not intended but with Rush you never know -- but I always envision 9/11 when I hear this one. Very dark but I love it anyway.

Murph and mark winstanley like this.
  10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Going to pull out the remix and listen to this again. Don't recall the difference being that stark.

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Another album favorite that just comes to life on stage. Studio version is just so immediate and raw but it's just so brutally good live and just hums like an engine.

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Like this one a lot too. Perhaps not on the level of album favorite but it's one of the more inspiring positive songs on the album. Really dig Alex's understated solo on this one such as it is and the instrumental break. Much better live too.

13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Not on the level of many others of this album, but it stands out for it's uniqueness. I like it.

It was released as a promo single and even got some airplay on WDHA for a short time. Again I like the rawness that is brought out here. Geddy pierces through the music here as much if not more than The Temples Of Syrinx but I think it's just as effective and it haunts the song.

ThunderDan and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Possibly....but I approve of the results!

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Great song. Basically quintessential Rush. Almost feel if they didn't feel the need to make a statement with One Little Victory, this would have been the lead track.

In true Rush fashion it's got everything although it does tend to get lost on an album such as this one.

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I like the song but it does tend to get lost like the previous song. I'm not sure the music totally succeeds in supporting the lyrics but it's never boring.

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Godfather III

18. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

19. RicB

Nocturne

One of my favorite three songs on the album. Fantastic lyrics - great rhythms - hard rocking - everything that makes Rush, Rush.

20. RicB

Freeze

I've never "warmed up" to this song. It has always left me "cold". Ha ha.

Seriously - too many words drug out into too many notes during the verses and while the "choruses" start off sounding GREAT, they evolve into the "doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-do-doo-doo-doo" like Neil couldn't think of any good lyrics to add. Probably the weakest track on the album.

ThunderDan and mark winstanley like this.
  21. RicB

Indiana Jones Crystal Skull.... Any of the Star Wars movies after the first trilogy...

22. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The movie that almost made us permanently replace the phrase “jumped the shark” with “nuked the fridge”.

I wouldn’t say Freeze (part IV of the Fear trilogy) was *that* bad. You have to be pretty bad to get labeled as “Crystal Skull-level bad”.

23. RicB

That's fair...

mark winstanley and dirkster like this.
  24. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Sweet Miracle (original mix)

Cool funky intro with excellent tone on Geddy's bass. The verses are good and the chorus (same as the intro) is good too, but I wish Neil had done more lyrically on the choruses. I like the way the vocals in the bridge aren't really that intelligible. Geddy's voice is more of an instrument here and if I didn't have the lyrics in front of me I'd have no idea what he was saying. I like that! Cool bass on the mellower verse after the bridge. There's not a lot to this song, and it's short, but I love how they used the time they had here. I do wish there were more chorus lyrics, but I think it also works this way. It's like Neil's mantra that he keeps going over and over in his head, how much of a miracle it was to have them in his life. Good tune!

remix

Oh I can really hear what Alex is doing here much more than in the original mix. Very cool! Other than that and the usual tonal differences between the bass and drums that we've gone over before, this one is basically the same. Cool with me, I'm really impressed with this song.

Nocturne (original mix)

The drums sound good in the intro, but they're also too boomy when everything else is involved. Once again, the guitar is kind of quiet here in the verses. It's a bass-centric song. When it kicks in before the chorus, it's a sonic mess. There's too much information all cranked to 11. The chorus feels the same way. This OG mix is one of the worst offenders on the album. The middle section needs Mr. Lifeson to show us how it's done. This one is way too much.

remix

It's not as harsh sounding, but this song really should've stayed unreleased. It adds nothing to the album except a bit of boredom after 2 really good songs. The song's sonics in the original mix mask a poor song. Neil does a nice fill in the middle where the guitar solo should've been. That's something positive.

Freeze (original mix)

Did we need a 4th part to a perfect trilogy? Alex's harmonics are ugly sounding. Ugly is good, brings some tension. This song is a pounder, that relentless 5/8 beat. My first thought is to say the chorus is weak, but it almost feels like it's a pre-chorus even though it introduces the title of the song. That's a REALLY cool way to write this song. After we pound through that for while, the proper chorus comes and it's this light busting through the clouds. Brilliant! But dammit, Neil! Why didn't you finish the chorus? There's the placeholder lyrics "dooo dooo do dooo...", but there needs to be more. Ugh, the chorus is so good! I wish it was finished. After the 2nd chorus we hit a new Alex riff, which I dig a lot, but again it's missing what should be there. If this song had been properly finished it would be great. As it stands, it's just a hair under down to the "good" level. Too bad.

remix

It's basically the same, just not as in your face. Actually, I think the the original mix works better - it makes both the heavier parts and the chorus stand out more. This mix kind of smooths everything out where there needs to be more distinction. So, to answer the question...did there need to be a 4th part of this trilogy? Well, it doesn't need to be part of the Fear Trilogy. That's perfect as it is. But, I do really like this song a lot. Just call it "Freeze" and we're fine. Still, it doesn't distract from parts III, II and I.

Oh, and I...kinda enjoyed Crystal Skull. I know, it's WAY over the top and completely implausible, but I enjoyed myself for the most part. It's nowhere near as good as Temple of Doom and not even in the same universe as Raiders and Last Crusade. Just have to get that out there. But I did have fun when I saw it in the theater. Now, have I bothered to ever see it again? Nah. Will I? Probably not, but that's OK.

25. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Nocturne: A forgotten gen of a song. Let's see, the drum intro is great and the laid back sound of the verses followed by the rocking chorus are pretty stellar.

Freeze (Part IV of 'Fear'):
    Back in May 2002, I saw the 'Part IV of 'Fear'' and got excited for the latest installment, only to be let down after hearing it. Musically, it's all over the place, which made it hard to get into. I do like the lyrics, though. What's funny, over time this song has grown on me, but it's still not a favorite and at least now I don't skip it.