Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

For me it was like the Phoenix rising out of the ashes. To me it's one of the best albums they ever created in spite of the botched sonics. It's one a a handful of studio albums I still listen to on a regular basis. (including the last two original studio albums as well.)

The fallout from this album sustained the rest of their career and solidified their sense of purpose to the point where a lot more people started paying attention.

2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Basically this is a single disc distillation of Chronicles and the Retrospective releases and the bonus DVD (which was only available for a limited time) is about a third of what was released on the Chronicles DVD. The album cover was re-purposed as part of the recent Permanent Waves reissue.

The record label tried to be cool with it's marketing campaign by releasing this on 2/11/2003.

I assume these recordings are taken from the 1997 remasters, but I never opened my copy to be sure.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

LOVE the DVD. The CD? Not so much although I have warmed to it over the years. I think it's the worst sounding live album they have did, but as has been likely stated already, the circumstances behind getting a CD and DVD and even a performance that night was a monumental challenge so I think it has to be judged in that context.

Might be the best crowd they ever played in front of although I'm sure you could say that about any South American crowd. Can't say enough about the crowd.

Legendary live album for the band, but I think nearly every live album they recorded is legendary for different reasons.

4. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I think The Seeker is one of the most underrated Who tracks - it's long been one of my favorites. I was really happy to learn it was on Feedback, and it doesn't disappoint. It's not radically different from the original, but it's a fine cover, rolling right along with the propulsive power of the original. Great track.

Mr. Soul is another track that I think is a strange choice for a power-trio like Rush. Some odd layered guitar gives the song a psychedelic feel, and Alex plays a fine solo. It's another winner. I really like this little album.

mark winstanley and boboquisp like this.
  5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

First time the band acquiesces to any kind behind the scenes footage for any of their releases. Long overdue in my view and kind of ironic with regard to the timing of it but it marked a slight change in attitude with regard to that aspect of what they were willing to share about the process.

Wil1972 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Never thought about it like that because I'm way too close to it, but the pairing with Retrospective 3 is a more comprehensive overview than Chronicles and it's offspring Retrospective I, II, Gold, Icon, Icon 2 (all of which stop with the end of the Mercury deal in 1989.)

Melllvar and mark winstanley like this.
  7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

This release kind of came out of left field but I guess they just wanted to have some fun after the tedious time with Vapor Trails.

I like it a lot. Tend to play this one more in the summer than at any other time. Far and away my favorite song is For What It's Worth, but I enjoy most of the rest of it.

Not a fan of Crossroads though. Just don't like the song. Was hoping for some more adventurous material for this EP but the fun they had recording it seems to come through. I wish it were longer or there was a second volume but it was not to be. Favorite tracks that were played live are Heart Full of Soul and The Seeker. Had really wished for some Buffalo Springfield back then.

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Can't really be disproven. The timing would suggest that argument is plausible as they got a late start in 2004. Can't recall when they were supposed to start recording, but it all came together rather quickly. Good time to pull out the R30 Tourbook I guess.

9. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Yes. All of the Atlantic studio albums are in the Atlantic Years Box except for Clockwork Angels.

Veovis and mark winstanley like this.
  10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Really like the acoustic live version of this one and the studio version is a favorite as well.

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Love this version. It's the one song on this album where I'll hit the repeat button. Really wanted to hear it live. I agree. Really love Alex's work on this one. In some ways, I prefer it to the original as blasphemous as that sounds.

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Like the song, but this seemed like an obvious choice for them. Selfishly, I would rather be surprised by the less obvious.

Lamus and mark winstanley like this.
  13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

This one surprised me. I really like it. You hardly hear of Buffalo Springfield mentioned as an influence and yet there are two songs on this album.

14. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

I first heard this on an Apple Music playlist of covers of Neil Young tunes. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they pulled it off. I really enjoy this one.

mark winstanley, The MEZ and ytserush like this.
  15. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"The Seeker" is a fantastic Who song and Rush does a solid version of it here. It's a pity that the mastering is so hot. This recording really needs more dynamics.

"Mr. Soul" is yet another Buffalo Springfield cover. This is pretty faithful to the original and, while it's good, it seems a bit labored somehow. It doesn't have the natural lift that the other tracks on this EP seem to have. I do like the guitar at the end.

mark winstanley, Al Gator and The MEZ like this.
  16. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven

When Feedback came out I bought it right away because it said Rush on it, so of course...
    And I guess I was interested in what Rush might sound like doing other peoples material.
    I gave it a spin, thought it was OK, filed it away and never pulled it back out again.
    I like hearing Rush do Rush tunes, the covers just didn't do anything for me.

17. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

The Seeker: Knowing the original quite well, this is a very faithful rendition of it. Superb.

Mr. Soul:
    To be honest, I've never heard the original; I'm only familiar with the synthpop version on 'Trans'. So, despite my handicap, this sounds pretty good on its own. Great guitar work here, including the outro.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Seven and Seven Is

This is a cool song, and this is a pretty good version. I must confess that Alice Cooper's version is my favourite, but it is also the first version I heard. I had no idea who Love were at the time.

Wil1972, ytserush, robcar and 3 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Shapes Of Things

This is an excellent Yardbirds song, and Rush stay pretty true to the original version.
    Jeff Beck did an excellent version with the Jeff Beck Group, but I must confess again that Gary Moore probably did my favourite version.
    With this track there really isn't a bad version though.
    We get a nice frenzied interlude and the song stays really true to the original.
    Just a great song that it would be hard to mess up.

JulesRules, Wil1972, ytserush and 4 others like this.
  20. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

I saw my first R30 show at Virginia Beach, on night 3 of the tour. The album hadn't been released yet, but the track list had. And honestly, I was initially skeptical of how a Rush version of "The Seeker" was going to sound. Needless to say, they performed it that night, and it was really one of the "holy ****" moments of that night. Rush just crushed the song. Now one of the highlights of the record for me.

21. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I wasn't familiar with Seven and Seven Is before the Rush version so I didn't have anything to compare it with. It's an enjoyable track but not my Feedback favorite.

Their version of Shapes of Things is good, and (as has already been mentioned) stays close to the original. They do a good job, but it's not a song that plays to the band's strengths; it never really gets that Rush groove.

ytserush and mark winstanley like this.
  22. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"7 & 7 Is" is a great song. I've always been a fan of Love (at least the first three albums), so it's nice to see Rush giving them some love on this EP. This is heavier than the original and I wish the dynamics on this recording were better - it's too mushy for me and I'd love to hear Neil's drumming more clearly. Still, Geddy's vocals sound great and this is just a stomping version.

"Shapes Of Things" is the more famous of these two songs and, for me, Rush's version doesn't have the vibe of either the Yardbirds' original or some others I've heard (there's a great version by the Allman Joys that went unreleased at the time but was issued after the later success of The Allman Brothers Band). It's fine but is just lacking that special something that elevates the other versions. Still, it's a great song.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  23. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Seven And Seven Is"

Can't say that I'm a fan of the band Love, and although I've come across this song in the past, it's one that I'm the least familiar with from this collection.

That said, Rush give it a simple, no-nonsense, Rush-ified version. I like it. It might not be a standout track for me, but I'd say that the band got this right.

24. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Shapes Of Things"

I've always been a big fan of this song. The original is a classic, and another version by Rush compatriots FM, who give the song a proggy twist, is also a personal favourite.

Rush do a great job with this one. They stay fairly true to the original, but put enough of their own personality into the performance to make it worthwhile. A highlight for me.

25. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Seven and Seven Is

My personal least known of the songs here. I like Geddy’s “dum dit dit dum dit dit yah!” vocals, and the upbeat energy here. Rush’s version doesn’t crack 3 minutes, but the original is yet another 30 sec. shorter!

Shapes Of Things

Perhaps my favorite Yardbirds song, as their version is off the hook weirdly brilliant. Neil gets off some great drumming, practically playing a solo during the last third of the song. One of the better tracks on Feedback. Geddy’s vocals actually sound sorta close to the original, so that’s a bonus too.