Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

So true. Those three really belong together don’t they?

2. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

The Garden
    When Ram4 posted this back in June, I wasn’t familiar enough with the Rush catalog to get the joke. I skipped ahead to check out the song, realized the joke, and then went back to Counterparts. I’m glad I didn’t spend too much time on it back then because it has been great to experience it in the context as the “last song on the last album”.

To me, the whole song pivots on the melody in these lines:
    “So hard to earn, so easily burned” and “The way you live, the gifts that you give” followed by “in the fullness of time”- this melody is so good.

Yes, the song is based on Candide, an 18th century text, but I like how Neil inserts the modern “the cells tick away” - I can visualize the telomeres shortening on chromosomes as cells reach the end of their lives. It’s such a Neil thing to do!
    Yes, this is really good. Nothing beats a repeating arpeggio to wind down a song.

3. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

Live for yourself, there's no one else
    More worth living for
    Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more
    Though I know they've always told you selfishness is wrong
    Yet it was for me not you
    I came to write this song”

“The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
    So hard to earn, so easily burned
    In the fullness of time
    A garden to nurture and protect
    It's a measure of a life
    The treasure of a life
    Is a measure of love and respect
    The way you live, the gifts that you give
    In the fullness of time
    Is the only return that you expect”

Neil’s first and his last lyric. Not completely disparate; in fact, the whole garden premise is pretty much, “Take care of yourself and the rest will fall in place” but the differences in tone and general outlook are obvious.

Wil1972, JulesRules, ytserush and 6 others like this.
  4. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

The Garden:

A poignant, yet an excellent album closer. Everything musically that is Rush comes together in this emotional ballad which is reminiscent of 'The Sphere'. If they plan to release an anthology of the bands work, perhaps for their 50th, this song better be on it to close the set out.

Clockwork Angels (Revisited):

It's been fun listening and discussing the album proper. I forgot how much I love this album and foolish that I mothballed the album in my collection for a few years. So it was great rediscovering the album once more. So anyway, although I am disappointed that this is the last one, I am happy that the band went out on an ambitious high note.

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

The Garden...

...just lays me bare.

That it is Rush's swan song makes it all the more poignant. It may not be Rush's "best" song, but it certainly is their most beautiful. The final statement of a career is also a meaningful statement of life itself. It is a glorious culmination on multiple levels with multiple meanings fitting into multiple contexts. This nexus is no doubt the greatest capstone of any band's career.

It was also a glorious live performance when I saw the CA tour.

6. Fischman

Ranking Clockwork Angels

I loved this album when it came out despite the distracting sonics. Having gone through it song by song here, my appreciation has only grown, and I've even made peace with the sound now, so it's even better than that. This is one brilliant freaking album. I had it at number 2 in 2012 (behind only the great late Asia outing, XXX), but I now elevate it back to #1. Other than the obvious limitations on Geddy's vocals peeking through in a couple places, this thing is super solid through and through. Their only full up concept album is a major winner and a fantastic way to finish their incredible run.

The Wreckers
    The Garden
    Headlong Flight
    Caravan
    Clockwork Angels
    Seven Cities of Gold
    Wish Them Well
    The Anarchist
    Carnies
    BUTB
    Halo Effect
    BU2B2

1. Moving Pictures (#1 in 1981)
    2. 2112 (#3 in 1976)
    3. Hemispheres (#1 in 1978)
    4. Permanent Waves (#2 in 1980)
    5. Signals (#1 in 1982)
    6. A Farewell to Kings (#2 in 1977)
    7. Clockwork Angels (#1 in 2012)
    8. Hold Your Fire (#1 in 1987)
    9. Fly By Night (#5 in 1975)
    10, Roll the Bones (#2 in 1991)
    11. Power Windows (#4 in 1985)
    12. Snakes and Arrows (#2 in 2007*)
    13. Rush (#7 in 1974)
    14. Caress of Steel (#14 in 1975)
    15. Grace Under Pressure (#5 in 1984)
    16. Test for Echo (#2 in 1996)
    17. Vapor Trails (#4 in 2002)
    18. Counterparts (#10 in 1993)
    19. Presto (#14 in 1989)

dirkster, mark winstanley and Lamus like this.
  7. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

I know there are several that don’t get the ranking thing, but I care, especially now that we are at the end. For example, I find it fascinating to know that Fischman, after all of the months of reading his comments, finds Presto to be the Rush album he likes the least.

Veovis, Fischman and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

And Mark has Power Windows second to last! Only ahead of the s/t. I am not judging anyone’s opinion of the album itself. What surprises me is that Mark has it that low. Based on my mental image of what Mark has enjoyed (I honestly can’t recall his specific thoughts on Power Windows), I would have thought Power Windows would have been just below the mid-point.

Here’s mine:
    Moving Pictures
    Permanent Waves
    Power Windows
    A Farewell to Kings
    Snakes and Arrows
    Grace Under Pressure
    Hemispheres
    Signals
    Clockwork Angels
    Hold Your Fire
    Counterparts
    Fly By Night
    Presto
    Test For Echo
    Rush
    Caress of Steel
    Roll the Bones
    Vapor Trails

Top 5 Songs
    Spirit of Radio
    Tom Sawyer
    Limelight
    Natural Science
    Anthem

Veovis and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's really quite interesting seeing how everyone views the catalog, to me.
    I can't do the @The MEZ thing ... but I know lots of folks get into it. I've tried, but it just never seems right for me.

Lamus likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

That sort of surprises me too.

I don't think it helped that I didn't really get a chance to give it full attention, because everything blew up at that time.

I really want to like it, but on my hobbled attempt to go through it and find its heart I just get washed away by the splashiness of it .... I like delay and reverb, but something about that album just doesn't click with me, and like I say, at the time my attempt to revisit it properly was hobbled... so it is the only album that really didn't get a fair hearing from me

JulesRules, Lamus and Fischman like this.
  11. Fischman

Interestingly, Presto wasn't at the bottom when this thread started. Counterparts was.

I didn't come to appreciate Presto less, but as a result of the discussion here I came to appreciate Counterparts more. This has been a great thread.

Wil1972, boboquisp, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  12. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"The Garden" is an extraordinary song - easily the best on Clockwork Angels and one of the best of their post-1980s career. It's obvious that they knew it was the end. The piano works so well here. For once, Geddy's diminished vocals suit the song perfectly and, in fact, his younger voice would have sounded rather ridiculous singing these stirring lyrics against this grand and elegiac music. A beautiful way to bring down the curtain.

13. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Mark and I inhabit very different universes, it seems!

Lamus and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

For me... The Garden is Rush’s swan song. I had this feeling, when I heard this song the first time. As I said, it is the best song on the album... no other song comes close IMO. It is the only song on CA I would take on a "Best of Rush" list.

Wil1972, JulesRules, Fischman and 5 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Only sometimes

robcar and Lamus like this.
  16. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

A few thoughts on summing up Clockwork Angels. Before participating in this thread, if somebody had asked me which Rush album I thought was their best after their "classic" era ended, I would have said "Clockwork Angels". I no longer think so. Apart from the rather appalling sonics of the album (I'm not sure whether the original Vapor Trails is worse or better than this one in that respect, which says it all), I find the album's concept/storyline completely muddled and of virtually no interest or relevance to me whatsoever. I feel like Neil lost track of the story midway through and grew bored with it and so, to finish out the album, wrote a batch of songs that only relate to it in the vaguest terms. Perhaps the realization that this was most likely going to be the final Rush studio album dawned on him and he decided there were other, more personal things he wanted to write about. There are some good songs here as well as a couple of excellent ones, but, on the whole, this thread has made me realize how much I had underrated Snakes & Arrows. It's simply a far, far better album than Clockwork Angels and now holds the crown as the post-classic era Rush album I consider their best. I think I'd probably hold Clockwork Angels in higher esteem if it sounded as good as Snakes & Arrows does, but I still don't think the quality of the songs is nearly as good.

Clockwork Angels tracks in order of preference:

"The Garden"
    "Clockwork Angels"
    "The Wreckers"
    "Seven Cities Of Gold"
    "Wish Them Well"
    "Caravan"
    "BU2B"
    "The Anarchist"
    "Halo Effect"
    "Carnies"
    "Headlong Flight"
    "BU2B2"

Updated ranking of Rush non-compilation albums:

1. Power Windows
    2. Moving Pictures
    3. Hold Your Fire
    4. Permanent Waves
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Signals
    7. Caress Of Steel
    8. Grace Under Pressure
    9. Hemispheres
    10. Snakes & Arrows
    11. R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour
    12. Snakes & Arrows Live
    13. A Show Of Hands
    14. 2112
    15. Fly By Night
    16. Vapor Trails
    17. Different Stages
    18. Rush In Rio
    19. Clockwork Angels
    20. Grace Under Pressure 1984 Tour
    21. Test For Echo
    22. Roll The Bones
    23. Exit...Stage Left
    24. Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland
    25. Presto
    26. All The World's A Stage
    27. Counterparts
    28. Rush
    29. Feedback

Top 6 songs:

1. "Time Stand Still"
    2. "The Big Money"
    3. "Red Barchetta"
    4. "The Spirit Of Radio"
    5. "Xanadu"
    6. "Subdivisions"

Dropping out: None. There's been no change to my top 6 songs since Hold Your Fire and given that the last two Rush albums are live, this is my final Top 6.

I will be going through the last two live albums in detail (I've never heard them) and so will add them to my album rankings to satisfy by completist OCD.

17. Megastroth

Megastroth Forum Resident

Ranking the Studi0 Albums
    1. Moving Pictures
    - pretty close to perfection.
    2. Permanent Waves - not far off MP.
    3. 2112 - this album put them on the map for a reason.
    4. Signals - my first exposure to Rush, this album has a special place for me, as well as a unique sound.
    5. Counterparts - the later period album where the sound, production and songwriting come together the best.
    6. Power Windows - a sparkly gem, sometimes I wish it was more hard rock, but the quality in sound and songwriting is undeniable.
    7. Hemispheres - would be higher except it's on the short side and the title track is not quite as good as 2112.
    8. Grace Under Pressure - I like the synth years. Songwriting is great but production is a step down from Broon years.
    9. Clockwork Angels - This album has so much strong material. It could be higher than CP except for production issues.
    10. A Farewell To Kings - Some people put this near the top but its a little uneven for me.
    11. Roll the Bones - Some great songs along with some not-so-great.
    12. Vapor Trails - If they didn't remix this, it would be lower. Miss the guitar solos but love the emotion.
    13. Presto - A good solid album, pushing them back towards hard rock. Wish it had a thicker sound.
    14. Snakes and Arrows - Good production but the singing and songwriting is a little spotty in places.
    15. Hold Your Fire - Some good stuff but getting too close to adult contemporary in places for my taste.
    16. Fly By Night - A solid album considering they are a young band still finding their sound.
    17. Test for Echo - feel bad putting it this low, but it just lacks a certain - umph.
    18. Caress of Steel - I think they bit off more than they could chew given where they were at the time. Ambitious but doesn't quite hold together.
    19. Rush (s/t) - All three legs of the stool were not in place for this one. It just can't compete with the later albums.
    20. Feedback - Maybe if they really made the songs their own, it could compete with the rest of the list. As it stands it is merely enjoyable.

I'm pretty firm on the first few at the top and bottom. The order between 5 and 17 is much more fluid. I could rearrange those on any given day. Rush is one of the few bands where I do enjoy all of their albums.

18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Simply gorgeous. The vocal and oh that solo. Great way to end it. Thanks for the memories , Lee, Lifeson & Peart! And thanks @mark winstanley for this thread ..Well done!

ytserush, Fischman, Melllvar and 3 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

I always find it surprising that so few concept albums manage to hold their ground as a concept on close inspection.

This seems like a very valid possibility, to me.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Best albums
    Moving Pictures
    Hemispheres
    Permanent Waves
    Signals
    Power Windows
    A Farewell to Kings
    Grace Under Pressure
    Counterparts
    Hold Your Fire
    Clockwork Angels
    Presto
    Vapor Trails
    Roll the Bones
    Snakes and Arrows
    Test For Echo
    Fly By Night
    Caress of Steel
    Rush

Best 5 Songs
    Tom Sawyer
    Subdivisions
    La Villa Strangiato
    YYZ
    Natural Science

Lamus and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

I have a much better grasp of the band now, and hold them in very high esteem.
    A remarkably good catalog for a band that generally seemed to stay on the fringes of superstardom.

Wil1972, JulesRules, Fischman and 2 others like this.
  22. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

The Garden: almost a paradox of a song, as if I listed my top three on this album it would likely not feature. Yet, speaking objectively, I may also contend it is one of the very best efforts of the later Rush period. It is a delightful track, with the string, piano and acoustic arrangement treated with a light touch. Geddy's vocal works well to deliver a poignant and fitting epitaph to Rush's stellar career.

"It is what it is – and forever".

Clockwork Angels overall: this falls between the two stools of Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. It doesn't quite live up to the standard of the latter, but in part that is due to issues with the quality of the sonics as in the former. It is not egregious like Vapor Trails was, but a clearer production would certainly have elevated this album somewhat. And we also can't shy away from Geddy's failing abilities; whilst not detracting from the album in any tangible way for me personally, it is so evident on some of the tracks. Clockwork Angels sits squarely in the middle of this 19-studio album collection.

And so we come to the final reckoning. It will be interesting to revisit this in six months, or a year's time to see how things may have changed. Certainly, I would not expect 1-4 to shift at all, but my appreciation for a couple of other albums may grow (i.e. Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings). Not being invested in Rush at any point of the actual lifespan of their career has helped here I think: I came into this thread with no preconceptions about which era of Rush was, or should be considered 'the best' and I have been able to simply take each album on it's own merits, without the influence of any nostalgia.

[​IMG]

The individual track listing is slightly more spurious, as it is more subject to change on any given week, but throughout I've tried to give a fair representation of my favourites without being overly influenced by any particular album that was on heavy rotation for this thread. I think this is a balanced representation of my top 40 Rush tracks. The Wreckers comes in hot at no.15 as the sole entry from Clockwork Angels. That so many quality tracks are not featured - and that all parts of their career are - is a testament to the standard Rush set over such a lengthy period of time.

It has been a pleasure participating on the thread over the past months and I'm sure we'll do it again on another (*cough* Lizzy *cough*). Thanks to Mark for his time and efforts particularly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  23. mark winstanley

Still pondering what's next.
    When the dust has settled from the overload I gave myself this year, I'm going to suss out what I'm going to do. Lizzy are certainly in the mix though....
    A similar situation for me with Lizzy as I was with Rush, familiar with a couple of mid period albums, but like everything I've heard.

Murph likes this.
  24. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I remember the poll you have, perhaps INXS could use a look over, unless I missed it....

25. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

My favs:
    Moving Pictures
    Permanent Waves
    A Farewell to Kings
    Signals
    Grace Under Pressure
    Hemispheres
    Snakes and Arrows
    Counterparts
    Hold Your Fire
    Fly By Night
    Power Windows
    Clockwork Angels
    Roll The Bones - I such luv Bravado, Dreamline, Ghost Of A Chance Big Wheel though
    Rush
    Test For Echo
    Presto
    Vapor Trails remix-(Original would be last)
    Caress Of Steel

Thanks you all. I like this thread and Mark dids such great