RUSH - EXIT STAGE LEFT uncut restored film... Why not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kayley10, Nov 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was just internally humming YYZ in my head and once more came upon the frustration of not having footage of Rush playing this and many other tunes from the Moving Pictures tour.

The original cut of Exit Stage Left was severly abridged in comparison to the complete show(s).
    The footage looks like it's been shot on film so if the original reels could be found, we could potentially have a really nice looking HD upgrade as well as the songs that were left out of the original cut.
    I am relatively new to Rush, do any of the more knowledgeable fans know if any such project has ever been attempted or would indeed be possible?

RyanC3082, M321115, Muzyck and 15 others like this.
  2. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

RUSH never played in Oz, so any chance to see this film would be great. Bonus is hearing Geddy in full throat during the ‘helium years’.

longdist01, Sean, polchik and 2 others like this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I would be totally all for it!
    If well done it would be a jewel in the collection.

RyanC3082, The Cat 3, M321115 and 8 others like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

:waiting:

6. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

It is even known if they filmed the whole show?

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I guess the answer is YES

I can't imagine hiring all the film crew just to capture 52 min of footage.
    The concert was taped multitracked in full. So it's pretty obvious to think that it was filmed complete as well

8. mark winstanley

Definitely. Completely illogical to set up a film crew and shoot sections.

Generally you film the whole thing and edit what you want seen/heard

9. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Yet it happened all the time. Just a few examples that have been discussed on these boards in the last few months:
    Hendrix Maui 1970
    Springsteen Tempe 1980
    Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder 1988

Reasons I’ve heard include “film isn’t cheap” and “the artist didn’t want bright lighting and camera crews distracting the audience from their performance through the entire show.”

10. mark winstanley

That's craziness.
    Hiring a film crew isn't cheap either, and a good one should be able to be reasonably inconspicuous.
    The bright lighting and camera crew through the show would better than keep being turned on and off lol
    Also filming often has issues, changes of reels etc.... so either way it seems illogical... but I am not an expert :)

RangerXT likes this.
  11. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the case of DSOT, Welcome To The Machine was the only song not filmed and probably this was for political or logistic reasons as opposed to fragmented shooting.

RangerXT likes this.
  12. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Hear Hear to this idea!

Would absolutely love to see a remastered blu-ray of this come out, just like they did with McCartney's Rockshow film a few years back that covered his 75-76 tour.

13. indigovic

“Another Brick in the Wall Part Two” was also not filmed. I don’t believe that there has been an official explanation for why those songs weren’t filmed, but the hypothesis that they weren’t filmed because they’re written by Waters (and only Waters) doesn’t add up: the same is true of “Money,” which was filmed.

vitorbastos123 and RangerXT like this.
  14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Maybe those songs were film breaks.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't restore the full shows when these were reissued on DVD back in the day. It'd be a bummer if the original tapes no longer existed, but it's a distinct possibility.

warewolf95 and longdist01 like this.
  16. indigovic

Possibly... but they filmed the entire first set (11 songs in a row) yet skipped the sixth and ninth songs of the second set. Seems to suggest they could have filmed them if they’d wanted to.

ARK likes this.
  17. mark renard

Is Moving Pictures the next anniversary edition due? They need to at least include the full show in audio form. I would imagine this will be a bigger deluxe edition than any of the previous ones.

18. mark renard

Probably wanted less $$ to go to old Roger.

mando_dan and Instant Dharma like this.
  19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I worked on the Rush doc, 'Beyond The Lighted Stage'. I saw the film canisters. I implored the producers to open them. I lost that battle.

RyanC3082, DougB217, DiabloG and 41 others like this.
  20. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I find myself wondering when the super-deluxe Moving Pictures will be announced...

I also wonder if there will be another vinyl reissue of an existing live album/film...

ODShowtime, Uncle Miles and Rupe33 like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah the complete Grace tour would be great as well.

For Genesis Visible Touch video did not record In the Cage from Wembley to save tape. Which was stupid.
    We also need uncut uninterrupted live footage from 1976 and 1981.

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Now I want to see if there’s any footage of Camera Eye.

23. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

This won’t happen for a number of reasons.
    The people who own Rush’s catalog won’t spend the money to have the show recut, even if those reels of film exist.
    The one advocate for Rush fans in the rerelease of their material for the 40th anniversary sets, Andy Curran, was not involved in the Permanent Waves box set because he is no longer with Anthem/Olé. And look at what we got? They had enough live recordings to release a full live show but instead there was 75% of the set released, with songs out of sequence with the set list, with fades in between songs. There was no 5.1 mix, which I understand why because the multi tracks are gone... BUT, they charged about the same amount for that box set as the others that had a 5.1 and a full live show (or as much of a show as what was available that was recorded on reels - Pink Pop.)
    I’d suggest writing to Jeff Fura at UMe to try to convince him to be kinder to us with the 40th for Moving Pictures/Exit. I would hope they would at least do a full audio of an MP show, but...
    The other reason I suspect you won’t see a full show for Exit on film is that it’s likely they did not film the whole show.
    You have to remember that Rush was heavily in debt until they started turning a profit on the PeW tour. Exit was filmed very early in the MP tour. They were still cash conscious at that point and film is expensive. So, it’s very likely Ray Daniels was working on a tight budget and that only portions of the show were filmed.
    So... either way, I’d just accept that nothing real earth shattering is coming next year.

RyanC3082, Mark J, ffracer and 6 others like this.
  24. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Such a shame....

ytserush and Instant Dharma like this.
  25. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Why exactly were they heavy in debt in 1980?

Was under the impression that Permanent Waves was a hit, and they seemed to play good sized venues in the late 70s early 80s?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.