Rush - Hold Your Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatguy1976, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Yea, I remember doing some EQ'ing for the original cds since they came off a little flat. Thanks for the input by the way!

ad180 likes this.
  2. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

It's one of about four decent songs on the album (BU2B, Seven Cities, Headlong Flight, The Garden). Caravan is a tuneless pro-tools disaster. The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, Carnies and BU2B2 are flat out bad and the rest is meh. The distorted part at the end of Clockwork Angels (the song) almost saves it, but it is too long and pointless. The biggest problem is that Geddy's voice is just gone on this album. It was good run, but it's over.

3. RicB

"...meagre 5 discs" :laugh:

I'd be interested to see the rest of it.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

This set was created a few years ago, and stops with the Snakes & Arrows era; I could feasibly add a 6th disc with material from the recent albums, and then it wouldn't be a meagre 5CDs anymore :D

I
    1. FINDING MY WAY
    2. WORKING MAN
    3. FLY BY NIGHT
    4. ANTHEM
    5. BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG
    6. BASTILLE DAY
    7. 2112 : OVERTURE / TEMPLES OF SYRINX
    8. PASSAGE TO BANGKOK
    9. LESSONS
    10. TWILIGHT ZONE
    11. CLOSER TO THE HEART
    12. MADRIGAL
    13. XANADU
    14. A FAREWELL TO KINGS

II
    1. CIRCUMSTANCES
    2. THE TREES
    3. LA VILLA STRANGIATO
    4. THE SPIRIT OF RADIO
    5. FREEWILL
    6. DIFFERENT STRINGS
    7. LIMELIGHT
    8. YYZ
    9. TOM SAWYER
    10. RED BARCHETTA
    11. VITAL SIGNS
    12. NEW WORLD MAN
    13. SUBDIVISIONS
    14. THE ANALOG KID
    15. COUNTDOWN

III
    1. THE BODY ELECTRIC
    2. DISTANT EARLY WARNING
    3. THE ENEMY WITHIN
    4. RED SECTOR A
    5. THE BIG MONEY
    6. MARATHON
    7. TERRITORIES
    8. MYSTIC RHYTHMS
    9. TIME STAND STILL
    10. FORCE TEN
    11. PRIME MOVER
    12. OPEN SECRETS
    13. TURN THE PAGE

IV
    1. SHOW DON'T TELL
    2. RED TIDE
    3. CHAIN LIGHTNING
    4. THE PASS
    5. THE AVAILABLE LIGHT
    6. ROLL THE BONES
    7. GHOST OF A CHANCE
    8. DREAMLINE
    9. FACE UP
    10. BRAVADO
    11. LEAVE THAT THING ALONE
    12. ANIMATE
    13. COLD FIRE
    14. THE SPEED OF LOVE
    15. DOUBLE AGENT

V
    1. TEST FOR ECHO
    2. DRIVEN
    3. RESIST
    4. GHOST RIDER
    5. SECRET TOUCH
    6. ONE LITTLE VICTORY
    7. EARTHSHINE
    8. FAR CRY
    9. ARMOR & SWORD
    10. THE MAIN MONKEY BUSINESS
    11. THE WAY THE WIND BLOWS

The earlier selections were often guided by compilations I have for that period...it wasn't until more recently that I filled in a lot of the gaps in my Rush collection, so there will be more of an overlap with Chronicles and Spirit Of Radio on CD1 and CD2, whereas the 1984-1991 material has more personal preferences. We share three choices from Presto!

EG.

RicB and DiabloG like this.
  5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What is "tuneless" supposed to refer to there? Or is it just a way to say you don't like it/it doesn't connect with you?

Stormrider77 and Instant Dharma like this.
  6. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Fun fact: four Rush albums in a row peaked at the same chart position (No. 10) on Billboard (from Exit to Power), which suggests that they had a fairly steady fan base buying those albums upon release. The two previous records both made top 5 (Permanent #4 and Moving #3).

Although commercial sales often don’t mean much, here I see a kind of direct parallel. When Hold Your Fire peaked at 13, it seemed like the commercial era of Rush had peaked (from Permanent Waves on). HYF represents the end of an era, the band’s association with Mercury in the US, and of their big 80s synth driven sound. For me, Hold Your Fire works. I have great memories of listening to it and seeing the tour. More song-oriented than previous records, and less detail in the recording. As some have noted, everything sounds blended together in the mix, creating a bigger sound, more atmosphere. Not exactly what you expect from a power trio. On this album, Rush took that approach far as they could go. As I said, for me as a fan it works very well. But I also see the necessity of then scaling it back and reworking the sound for the next album, Presto, which I love too. Back to power trio and a return to form of sorts.

RicB, Eric_Generic and DiabloG like this.
  7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Great list! Nice to see you went with Countdown, Open Secrets, Face Up, Body Electric, and Cold Fire here!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Absolutely agree with this! Presto was the right time to move on from the 80s Rush sound, great as it was.

EG.

9. RicB

No intention to offend. Try humming the melody. You can't really.

10. RicB

With the exception of Counterparts, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows, our anthologies are pretty comparable:

I would take out:

Lessons
    The Twilight Zone
    Madrigal
    A Farewell to Kings
    Countdown (though not bad at all)
    The Body Electric
    Territories
    Open Secrets (though not bad at all)
    Turn the Page
    Red Tide (though not bad at all)
    Chain Lightning
    Face Up
    Leave That Thing Alone! (though not bad at all)
    Cold Fire
    The Speed of Love
    Double Agent
    Armor & Sword
    The Main Monkey Business (though not bad at all)
    The Way the Wind Blows

And add:

In the Mood
    Beneath, Between, and Behind
    In the End
    Lakeside Park
    (the rest of 2112)
    Something for Nothing
    Cygnus X-1
    Jacob's Ladder
    Entre Nous
    Natural Science
    The Camera Eye
    Witch Hunt
    Losing It
    Between the Wheels
    Grand Designs
    Middletown Dreams
    Mission
    High Water
    Scars
    Presto
    Cut to the Chase
    Stick It Out
    Nobody's Hero
    Alien Shore
    Half the World
    Totem
    Time and Motion
    Summertime Blues
    Peaceable Kingdom
    Vapor Trails
    Sweet Miracle
    Nocturne
    Workin' Them Angels
    Hope
    Malignant Narcissism
    Seven Cities of Gold
    Headlong Flight
    The Garden

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. Terrapin Station

Sure I can. But I can hum Milton Babbitt, Cecil Taylor, etc melodies. I could hum any set of pitches one could write.

12. RicB

Total Compilation:

I
    Finding My Way
    In the Mood
    Working Man
    Anthem
    Beneath, Between & Behind
    By-Tor and the Snow Dog
    Fly by Night
    In the End
    Bastille Day
    Lakeside Park
    A Passage to Bangkok
    Something for Nothing

II
    Xanadu
    Closer to the Heart
    Cygnus X-1
    Circumstances
    The Trees
    La Villa Strangiato
    The Spirit of Radio
    Freewill
    Jacob's Ladder
    Entre Nous
    Different Strings
    Natural Science

III
    Tom Sawyer
    Red Barchetta
    YYZ
    Limelight
    The Camera Eye
    Witch Hunt
    Vital Signs
    Subdivisions
    The Analog Kid
    New World Man
    Losing It
    Distant Early Warning
    Red Sector A
    The Enemy Within
    Between the Wheels

IV
    The Big Money
    Grand Designs
    Marathon
    Middletown Dreams
    Mystic Rhythms
    Force Ten
    Time Stand Still
    Prime Mover
    Mission
    High Water
    Show Don't Tell
    The Pass
    Scars
    Presto
    Available Light

V
    Dreamline
    Bravado
    Roll the Bones
    Ghost of a Chance
    Animate
    Stick It Out
    Cut to the Chase
    Nobody's Hero
    Alien Shore
    Test for Echo
    Driven
    Half the World
    Totem
    Time and Motion
    Resist
    Summertime Blues

VI
    One Little Victory
    Ghost Rider
    Peaceable Kingdom
    Vapor Trail
    Secret Touch
    Earthshine
    Sweet Miracle
    Nocturne
    Far Cry
    Workin' Them Angels
    Hope
    Malignant Narcissism
    Seven Cities of Gold
    Headlong Flight
    The Garden

Stormrider77 and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. RicB

Okay so hum it...you'll find it rather tuneless, I think. I do, at any rate.

14. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I received my Sector 3 Box the other day and have pretty much listened to everything except for the Signals DVD. Yes, HYF sounds pretty good actually, I believe it's a DR 8, but yep, "High Water" is brickwalled at the very end and it started to numb my ears...amazing, I was enjoying the CD, then the last song was an ear-bleeder...bad job botching that one!

Power Windows is also a problem, I believe it's a DR 7, but it sounds a little louder than that and the volume was bothering me. I believe Grace Under Pressure might be a DR 9, but I don't know what the DR is for Signals and A Show Of Hands...would you know?

It's interesting, as I was listening to HYF tonight I couldn't detect where the different mixes were, but I'm sure they are there.

DiabloG and c-eling like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The flaws of Vapor Trails are glaring, and it's probably one of my least favorite Rush albums, but there is a charm about it that is certainly appealing, most notably the energy and aggression that oozes out of the entire record. As individual songs go, I am still pretty high on Freeze, Nocturne, Earthshine and Vapor Trail.

ElevatorSkyMovie and DiabloG like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Sector-
    *Signals
    Analyzed: Rush / Signals
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.80 dB 5:38 01-Subdivisions
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.46 dB 4:50 02-The Analog Kid
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.86 dB 4:59 03-Chemistry
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.63 dB 6:29 04-Digital Man
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.80 dB 6:31 05-The Weapon
    DR9 -0.10 dB -10.67 dB 3:49 06-New World Man
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.98 dB 4:57 07-Losing It
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.40 dB 5:52 08-Countdown
    *A Show of Hands
    Analyzed: Rush / A Show Of Hands

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -1.41 dB -17.95 dB 0:53 01-Intro
    DR8 -0.05 dB -9.25 dB 5:58 02-The Big Money
    DR7 -0.05 dB -8.29 dB 5:22 03-Subdivisions
    DR7 -0.05 dB -8.56 dB 6:39 04-Marathon
    DR7 -0.05 dB -8.36 dB 4:40 05-Turn The Page
    DR7 -0.05 dB -8.97 dB 5:19 06-Manhattan Project
    DR7 -0.05 dB -8.42 dB 5:46 07-Mission
    DR9 -0.05 dB -9.81 dB 5:15 08-Distant Early Warning
    DR8 -0.05 dB -8.89 dB 5:33 09-Mystic Rhythms
    DR8 -0.05 dB -9.61 dB 3:58 10-Witch Hunt
    DR7 -0.05 dB -9.71 dB 4:37 11-The Rhythm Method (Drum Solo)
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.61 dB 4:55 12-Force Ten
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.20 dB 5:13 13-Time Stand Still
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.20 dB 5:18 14-Red Sector A
    DR8 -0.05 dB -10.30 dB 4:53 15-Closer To The Heart

Futurecity likes this.
  17. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I think some Rush fans differ on songs maybe out what they want/expect from the band. Some want rock some want roll. I'm less a fan of some overlong guitar parts but a fan of their bigger/softer synth side as in HYF, which some do not like. I think "Tai Chan" fits here. Tho I think the synth patch or mix in "Subdivisions" is not quite right, I adore the song. But I love Rush because I can get a "Rivendell" and a "Tom Sawyer", etc. I've said before that "Broon's Bane" is still one of the most beautiful guitar melodies I've ever heard and it's the kind of thing that I wish had been recorded more seriously for a longer song on an album.

And "Dreamline" from RTB seems like a seriously underrated song. Some of Peart's best questioning/inspirational lyrics and a very catchy hook to my ears. Of course, I associate it with a period where I had to make a big life move and this song was one of my soundtracks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  18. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Thanks c-e!

Yes, Signals sounded very nice, although I didn't expect the DR numbers to be that high, and regarding A Show Of Hands, the actual CD sounds a drop louder to me than the DR numbers indicate, although there are 6 songs with DR 7 that I see. I thought "The Big Money" would have been DR 7, as it comes on a little loud, but I guess it's DR 8.

c-eling likes this.
  19. Terrapin Station

Yeah, it's very interesting that they seemed to take such an intense, aggressive, heavy/dense turn (not just because of brickwalling --the arrangements got really dense, with more of less a wall-of-sound approach) in the 2000s. Not that they were never heavy in their earlier years, but it was more sporadic and controlled. This really cranked it up. It was kind of like they decided to present their own very quirky take on metal/hardcore . . . as a trio of 50-somethings, 30 years into their career, which was just about the most unexpected move they could have made.

Purple, DiabloG and George Co-Stanza like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

As someone who got into the band thanks to Roll the Bones and the synth era material after some friends show me A Show of Hands, I had no preconceived notions that Rush should give me any specific kind of music. Good music is good music, and it comes in many shapes and sizes. :)

I love Dreamline, and I definitely think it was a big reason why Roll the Bones gave the band a resurgence in the mainstream, as it was their highest charting album since Moving Pictures here in the States, aided greatly by Dreamline, the lead single, going to number 1 on the mainstream rock charts. I knew quite a few people, who normally did not call themselves Rush fans, who owned Roll the Bones on CD.

Very true. That said, I know Alex Lifeson was described Vapor Trails as an album that had a lot of "meat on them bones," but the heaviness of that album definitely caught me off guard when I first heard it. Even though Snakes and Arrows probably has slightly better songwriting, I probably prefer Vapor Trails as a whole more simply because I will take the raw and in-your-face sound of VT over the dry and kind of lifeless sound of S&A. VT, for all its fault, has a lot of personality, which I am not sure I can say about S&A.

Terrapin Station and DiabloG like this.
  21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I don't usually skip songs in general or with Rush in particular. For me there's only a handful of songs I'd consider skipping but that's usually as far as it goes.

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

FWIW, the Sector Grace Under Pressure is my favorite digital version. It may be a touch compressed, but I love the EQ on it. All of the previous versions were too thin and bright for my liking, and the Sector improves that by adding some warmth in the bass and mids. My overall favorite for GUP though, is the 2015 vinyl reissue. It's similar to the Sector remaster, but with better dynamics. I would have to listen to the other 4 albums again as it's been a while since I've heard the Sector versions.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I consider the Presto Tour to be my least favorite Rush tour ever (I refer to it as the midlife crisis tour) based on seeing it and seeing and hearing the live recordings.

I would imagine Geddy and Alex would have been happier not being trapped behind the triggers (They've confirmed this I think) so maybe that's the "new life" aspect you're referring too.

I thought this tour was a bit more stale than the norm for a number of reasons. It didn't seem like many of the performances were very inspiring.

Also I didn't like that they punted Freewill after the instrumental break and Xanadu clocked in at under 7 minutes. (I suppose that is a revival of sorts.)

They only played FIVE Presto songs and the first one of those was slotted number 8 in the set.

I think the Roll The Bones Tour was better, especially from the Euro leg onward but the Presto tour seemed to be the bottom in my opinion.

24. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

And then there's me who would put those three 21st century records up against anything else they've ever done. (Perhaps not sonically but in just about every other way.)

25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Found a Red/Silver Mercury swirl pressing of Power Windows today for 99p. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd have left it in the racks but now I've got this thing about having the earlier versions! :rolleyes::laugh:

EG.