Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

Heres what one reviewer wrote on amazon"""

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
    1Warped
    ByRidge Runneron May 3, 2015
    Format: VinylVerified Purchase
    Tried 3 times to get a decent pressing of this masterpiece. All 3 were warped. What gives? Why are 80% of all new 180 gram pressings defective? Very frustrating

2. Yes, we know. Heavy vinyl sucks.

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It seems to me the majority reissue records are being pressed on "heavy vinyl". So it would logically
    follow that most warped copies are going to be 180 gram copies.

I don't really think there is a connection between the weight and how many are warped.
    It seems to me the quality control issues are the result of the pressing process, and the lack
    of processes in place to catch any defects before they are packaged and shipped to customers.
    Thank the vinyl resurgence for that.

I opened a brand new record today, and the surface was covered in some white liquid that had
    dried and blotched all over both sides. If even a cursory visual inspection had been done, there
    is no way this copy gets passed.

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

I have now returned an EU & a US pressing of AFTK now. Both were unacceptably noisy on the last 2 tracks on S2, the US was dished as well. I'd have put up with the dishing of the US - got my hopes up as S1 was excellent.
    Don't know what to do now, I'm in the UK and don't want to push my luck with 'All Your Music's' freepost returns.
    Been lucky 'til now - US FBN & CoS. EU 2112 (was cheap) all been good.

5. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Have you tried to clean the EU copy? I had some distracting noises on the same tracks. Fortunately they washed off quite nicely. A few random light ticks remain, nothing serious really.

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

If you plan to buy much vinyl I highly recommend trying the Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch combination. It works best on heavy vinyl actually and at least 90% of the time solves the issue completely. I've never returned an LP for warping since I've had this. It has no effect on sound quality other than giving your stylus a flat surface to track.

gklainer, Stallings and Clanceman like this.
  7. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Well I bought the new AFTK 192/24 from HighResAudio. TBH I struggle to hear any real improvement over the 96/24 that I had bought some time ago from Linn records when they were offered separately (not sure what mastering that was).

Not bad at all - but not noticeably better at first listen...

8. redteck

redteck Forum Resident

That's odd. Maybe they just sold out before February 3rd? Hmmm....

"Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on February 03, 2015 (Order# 108-9571990-9176216). Unfortunately, the release date
    for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Rush "Hemispheres [LP]"
    Estimated arrival date: June 22, 2015 - June 23, 2015

We'll make every effort to get the delayed item(s) to you as soon as possible. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped
    according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account."

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It's possible. I've noticed lately that Amazon (US) has been late in getting a lot of vinyl releases except for those who have preordered early on. I think it has to do with the vinyl backorders that have been increasing this year.

10. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

The 24/192 download from qobuz is the proper one if anyone is interested. The DR numbers match to the highresaudio listing (which should be genuine) and there is definitely information above 22 kHz.

dosjam and Plan9 like this.
  11. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

I just got the 200g vinyl of AFWTK's , looks great and sounds great, no complaints here

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

What did you think of the other 2015 hires Rush releases?

13. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

They sound great. Remastered from the original tapes, the latest downloads exhibit the dynamics and great sound that have been missing for years on cd

oneway23 and sound chaser like this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

No doubt they are great. I quoted the poster to get an idea where he was coming from in relation to the other releases. He says "no real improvement ..." just trying to get the correct perspective...

15. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Caress of Steel, in 24/192 from the latest remaster sounds so much better than the Sectors version or'97 remaster. The compression and harsh, bright eq is gone, in place of what sounds like a flat remaster. Highly recommended!

16. Hymie the Robot

Absolutely. The sectors version is an improvement over the remasters and this /these versions take it up another notch.

Does AFTK do the same?

17. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

Compared to the '97 CD remaster and Sector hi-res, IMO yes.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  18. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds sure take their time to upload the correct files... Almost a week ago they claimed to have the new files and said they would let me know when I can download them. Still nothing and it's not on their site yet either.

DiabloG likes this.
  19. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

This was the first of the 2015's that I have bought so I am afraid I can't really comment. Not really a huge fan of anything before AFTK.

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have AFTK vinyl and have played it a couple times. Overall, it sounds quite good to me. I never really played the original much. What I notice is that volume levels on side two vary widely. Maybe this is what was intended but if I turn my system up enough for Closer To The Heart to sound right I'm being blasted out of my seat by the time Cynus X-1 comes around. I do have an original here I mean to compare with at some point.

21. It's the same on the original vinyl.

22. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Wondering how PSM and highresaudio managed to receive the new files while Acoustic Sounds and Pono are still working on it...

Veovis and Mij Retrac like this.
  23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Same experience here. Since I bought this combo I just order new vinyl from the cheapest source, without worry about their return policy.

I will say that I've been fortunate. My copies of 2112, FBN, and AFTK are all in great shape. Flat and quiet.

24. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Not to mention why there's still no sign of AFTK at HDtracks...

25. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I noticed this on a completely different original Rush LP. I was making a vinyl rip of Exit Stage Left yesterday and La Villa was way lower than Freewill and Tom Sawyer. Bad quality control when these LPs were first done and never corrected?