Russian counterfeit CDs, a headache

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Jan 29, 2019.

1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I think I just bought one. Ramones, Animal Boy. However, the booklet is of lower quality, so maybe not one of these near perfect Russian counterfeit CDs. Maybe made somewhere else. The matrix doesn't match any entry on Discogs and there's no unofficial edition of this CD in their database. I ripped it and the sound files are identical to my old Japanese CD.

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

As far as I'm aware of, there are some counterfeits from Argentina and Mexico though not in larger numbers elsewhere.

patient_ot and punkmusick like this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

That could be the case. Nothing on Discogs unfortunately. I'll create an entry for this version and send it back.

4. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Based on this nonsense, I can only gather you are profiting from organised crime yourself? Innocent little music fans running off a few extra CDs! LOL

Russia and China are the counterfeit centres of the world.... no amount of propoganda is going to change that fact.

Purple, elgoodo and jeffreybh like this.
  5. Untrue. I’ve been multiple times to a large Saturday market of indoor stalls somewhat north of downtown Moscow which were riddled with thousands of almost all counterfeit cds. (I was in search of the Mungall Men Project, which is legitimate and which I found). That was maybe 8 years ago so things could have changed. But I still run into these cds a lot online.

6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Are you suggesting that there is no crime in Russia? Pretty sure that's an inaccurate statement.

7. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I didn't say that. Crime exists in any country.

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  8. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

And if you remember what happened in the nineties!!!
    I've never visited a place like this.
    Life and society are changing every day. I think you know that.

9. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Are you probably talking about your experience? I have a completely different job.

10. Indeed. I very much enjoyed my trips to and work in Russia. It was fascinating, fun, many things. But I did see a LOT of those counterfeit CDs, openly sold, and I've also encountered them many times out in eBay land (most commonly rather poor replicas of Japanese mini-lp style).

Discogs now ends to flag these, and that's made it easier to not get the wrong one by mistake. On eBay, however, if you see a Japan mini-lp style CD but with sales place of origin in Russia, you pretty much have to steer clear.

Purple, Rorsontherun, GerryO and 3 others like this.
  11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It depends. For the alternate Beatles cds I put my search on location Russia on purpose.

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  12. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

This is true - replicas of Japanese mini-lp were the most popular for customers.

nosliw likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

There is a Seller from Russia on Discogs by the name of ‘Bridgenote’. This person has a long list of Positive Ratings and Good Feedback, so hope his items are legit, as I recently ordered a few Titles from him(assuming it is a he, as not aware of many Female Sellers overall from my past 5 years of buying experience from Discogs Sellers).

If anyone wants to list a few of the reliable Sellers(only sells legit CDs) from Russia, then that would be appreciated. I mostly stick with Japan Sellers, as they are very reliable overall in Grading of CDs.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    jeffreybh likes this.
  14. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I've been shopping in this store and I trust him completely. All its goods are original legal products.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks. I know I bought a Peter Gabriel Black Triangle CD from another Russian Seller a few years ago that was legit, but need to go back and find the Discogs Name for that Seller. I look to see if a Seller(from any Country, although hesitant with China), has a large Number of Seller Positive Feedback and minimum 99% of Positive Ratings, then check comments for Packaging and Grading of CDs.

16. dEadf!sh

dEadf!sh Active Member

dude i think what everyone is saying is the bootleggers have an actual CD pressing plant and are making real factory cd's but they are using another cd as the source to make a new glass master and actually do a run of them and have the books copied and reprinted so it looks very real when in reality it's not and may not sound exactly like the original because of having to do the new glassmaster and depending on the quality of that, an eq'ing that they did, the quality of the disk medium, the quality of the equipment they used, any jitter introduced, etc, etc.

he's not talking about joe schmoe making a copy with a cd burner at his house.

uzn007 and slipkid like this.
  17. muzik_guy

muzik_guy Forum Resident

I'm blown away by how authentic counterfeits look and sound these days. I scored a few thrash metal titles recently that have long been out of print and can barely tell the difference between legit and fake. I suspected something was up with these CDs (low priced) but pulled the trigger anyway, out of curiosity. There were a few titles that were never issued on CD in that batch too. Those sounded fantastic and the layouts on the inserts were all expertly manipulated and scaled down to fit the smaller size . No clue where they acquired masters for those but they are most definitely not vinyl or cassette sourced. Can't say I'm disappointed at all. I absolutely do not seek counterfeits for purchase but in the instance when I've received them, they have never disappointed. I suspect with declining CD sales in the US, there will be an even greater influx of these fakes coming.

The Pinhead, altaeria and punkmusick like this.
  18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Are those Russian counterfeits CD-Rs?

19. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

If they sound good and look good, I don't feel any guilt buying one.

At this point, it's like feeling guilty for buying a refurbished carburetor.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The ones I've seen were not CD-R's. The printing quality is generally poor, though.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I recently found what I knew was a Chinese produced c.d. "complete u2" boxset that is extremely well done.....both "greatest hits" albums are 2c.d.'s each and many of the c.d.'s have inner sleeves/lyric sheets......I love it despite the fact it's a fake....it was cheap at $50 dollars so what the heck.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Original CD.

[​IMG]
    Russian counterfeit.

Close, but not enough :D

24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

And the difference between Russian counterfeit and the real thing is ..

Do you mean the quality of the printed text on the disc ? Or the quality of the materials and physical manufacturing
    .. (?)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Here in Argentina ? A lot of money, and sometimes it's the only available release of some titles. I have a lot, and the quality is excellent.

Crimson Witch likes this.