Russian counterfeit CDs, a headache

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Jan 29, 2019.

1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't saw this. I guess they makes them now even better than before..:)

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

A lot of users seem reluctant to leave negative feedback (on many ecommerce/social media sites) unless the seller literally came to their home and murdered their family.

3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Never heard about this band, sorry )). But if one seller sells for 10-20% of what other people sell it is never a good sign.
    On a bright side even if it is fake it probably sounds as good as original )).

Scratcha and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Many Russian Federation sellers always have that affordable sealed new copy of the OOP CD you're desperately searching for...
    I've been suckered twice. Never again.

Matthew Tate, Purple and altaeria like this.
  5. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I already have a cdr that sounds as good as the original. Now I want the real deal at an affordable price lol.

dEadf!sh, ispace and Old Zorki II like this.
  6. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I didn’t know Latvia was in Russia. Go figure. I bought from a former eastern block seller with no issues. You have to go on feedback, pics and faith.

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I guess there are no serious collectors from that region of the world.

Matthew Tate and c-eling like this.
  8. Old Zorki II

Just ask for pictures of CD matrix, and you will see by reaction if he knows it is fake or not. Some people sell fakes unknowingly, fully believing they are in possession of a real thing.

Matthew Tate, tmtomh and c-eling like this.
  9. Mr.La Page

Mr.La Page Smoking with the boys upstairs...

I guess i want be getting those last couple of Badfinger albums then..:cry: I can't find anywhere to grab those for a decent price or without them possibly being fakes.

Matthew Tate and MrSka57 like this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Jeez most of the fakes I got suckered into were made right here in the land of the free. Or imported from China. I also used to get CDs from Angel Air which iirc was out of Italy. Supposedly they were unofficial in that they didn't pay royalties although the CDs were legit i.e. not CDRs.

Scratcha likes this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Exactly what I do. I first check to see if the title has a history of being counter'd. Speaking of which, I do have an ELO title coming from the Russian Federation, should have it next week.
    One I did buy knowing full well was a Mode title, done mini style before they were issued this way officially. Absolutely gorgeous. (From Latvia)
    Cover photo is laminated and the print is textured. Incredible what these guys are capable of. Even uses the old mastering :D
    [​IMG]

12. javilu77

Already asked and he said he would email me pics. I have a feeling that it will be the russian fake.

Matthew Tate and c-eling like this.
  13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Maybe. I'm done with CDs and have been buying vinyl only for several years now. But back in my days of CD buying I've never met a pirate CD with quality replica of the booklet.

Scratcha and Former Lee Warmer like this.
  14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It could be a fake but why russian? Or do you mean that any fake CD are russian by default? Just like hackers?Not chinese (that country printed millions of fake CDs) or eastern european, not ukrainian, bulgarian but russian? Russia is certainly guilty of very loose rules when it comes to CD production, especially in the 90's but to single it out as the world's worst offender is pretty ridiculous.

15. javilu77

Well, if instead of Latvia the seller was in Hong Kong then I might think it's a Chinese counterfeit.
    Also, the fact that discogs lists a Russian counterfeit of the CD makes me think it might not be chinese.

Joy-of-radio, Matthew Tate and Purple like this.
  16. Old Zorki II

Welcome to the world of fake vinyl records ))))))))))))

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The Russians fake vinyl as well:cheers:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Old Zorki II

The last vinyl pressing plant there stopped around 1992-93... So no, not really ))).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. javilu77

Got the pics. Any idea on how to upload them here? Can I upload them directly from my PC?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. agn

agn Forum Resident

They also sold a ton of fake Japanese mini lps as if they were legit. I no longer give this store my business as a result.

21. agn

agn Forum Resident

There are also a lot of Chinese fake cds.

Scratcha likes this.
  22. agn

agn Forum Resident

23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Mr.La Page likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

ispace likes this.
  25. agn

agn Forum Resident