Ryan Adams - "Cold Roses" vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

IMO the 29 reissue sounds better than my original US LP (not only in terms of pressing quality but also mastering). Probably not a difficult task given the original was pressed by United.

Side 1 of my reissue LP is dead quiet, however side 2 has some clicks (very annoying given side 1 was perfect) as Billy Bird posted above and a couple of other strange noises (kind of like mistracking but I'm not sure). I'll try and post some comparison samples when I get a chance.

Having said all that, and as much as I love vinyl records, the mastering on my original 29 CD is quite excellent and can't be faulted. FWIW, my gut feeling is BG used 24/44.1 files to cut the 29 reissue LP but I could be wrong.

2. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

My copy of the new pressing of 'Gold' has some pops/crackle during 'Wild Flowers', first track on side C. Have seen a review on another site complaining of the same. Has anyone managed to get a copy without that noise? Wondering if it's worth requesting another.

Crush87 likes this.
  3. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Can I ask where you bought yours from? I'm also in the UK so am interested in knowing if you imported them or not.

4. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Yep, I got one from Amazon.com. The aforementioned '29' reissue with clicks on side 2 I got via Amazon.de. Having tried four of those, I'm giving up. As for 'Gold', Amazon.com out of stock so can't replace.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  5. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

Here are some short (~45 sec) LP comparisons from 29 with no clean up or audio manipulation other than resampling and dithering to 16/44 (from 24/192) and loudness matching using EBU R128 standard.

Starlite Diner from side 2 of the Pallas reissue LP has the 'repeating clicks'.

29: order is (i) orig CD; (ii) orig LP; (iii) reissue LP; (iv) reissue LP at 24/192
    (i) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwd27mn5tkk0k4m/29 Orig CD.flac?dl=0
    (ii) https://www.dropbox.com/s/iesxemxktd048px/29 Orig US LP 16-44.flac?dl=0
    (iii) https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m7krg66cgrluuf/29 Pallas reissue LP 16-44.flac?dl=0
    (iv) https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xz3901jaqfizxe/29 Pallas reissue LP 24-192.flac?dl=0

Starlite Diner: order is (i) orig CD; (ii) orig LP; (iii) reissue LP
    (i) https://www.dropbox.com/s/apsvdquf34rsxx2/Starlite Diner Orig CD.flac?dl=0
    (ii) https://www.dropbox.com/s/iboq4m396yrh11m/Starlite Diner Orig US LP 16-44.flac?dl=0
    (iii) https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j5clzmwfvv4imn/Starlite Diner Pallas reissue LP 16-44.flac?dl=0

PBo likes this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Has anyone tried ordering from Amazon.ca? Do you know what version of Gold (or Cold Roses) they are shipping?

7. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have a Cold Roses that is not embossed. Few years back...no idea who cut it. Is the new version really an improvement?

10. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Receieved Demolition today from Amazon. Sounds quite a bit better than the best United pressed Demolition I have (took me about 4 copies to get a decent one). Not as good a pressing on this one as Gold and Cold Roses though. Definately a must have!

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Who cut Demolition?

12. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I just rolled the dice on Gold and Cold Roses on Amazon.ca.

I am skeptical it will be the new pressings...

14. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

It's interesting that Gold, Cold Roses, 29, Follow the Lights, Cardinology and Demolition have been recut by Bellman...but not Jacksonville City Nights and Easy Tiger. Maybe (hopefully) those are on the way soon, along with Rock and Roll.

Paul Beatty likes this.
  15. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I ordered on Amazon India and received the new pressing of Cold Roses. Very happy with my purchase. Glad I held off buying this for so many years. Glad to own it finally. Sounds fantastic.

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

That gives me hope. Got a couple Cold Roses...just kinda obsessed with that album...

gramfan likes this.
  17. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

Was Cold Roses "In Stock" when you ordered? Amazon.ca is showing shipping times of 1 month + ....likely means they are restocking that title. Gold is listed as in stock though.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

There was 1 when I ordered an hour ago.

But it was out of stock yesterday. Gamble.

19. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I'm tempted by Cold Roses and Gold as well...but don't want to end up with the old cuts (already have Cold Roses). Don't buy much vinyl these days but 2LP under $20 is unheard of in Canada!

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Same boat. I have Cold Roses as well... on vinyl and CD. And I feel terrible returning things... even to Amazon... especially when I've rolled the dice. Still... the impulse overtook me. I just wish you could identify the pressing without actually opening up the product. Annoying.

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I just received Cold Roses and Gold from amazon.ca. I have played neither yet... but both had Pallas USA and CB in the deadwax.:)

igbee likes this.
  22. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I was browsing on Amazon today and noticed the unbelievable cheap price for Cold Roses and researched that there were new CB cuts coming out. I ordered to take the gamble for $10. That is an incredible price for a 2 lp set. After finding this thread, I went back and ordered Gold and 29 for about $11 each or so. More fantastic deals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they are all the new cuts..

It seems like many of you are reporting the new CB cuts coming from Amazon on recent orders. Mine will arrive in a few days and I'll report back.

23. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Update: I finally got Cold Roses, 29 and Gold from Amazon this past week. All copies are the new Chris Bellman cuts pressed at Pallas.

As reported earlier, 29 has the Pallas sticker on the shrink and the LP is in a poly-lined sleeve. Cold Roses is an embossed cover and it has the old Lost Highway audiophile sticker on the shrink. Both LPs are in poly-lined sleeves. Gold doesn't have any sticker on the shrink. The LPs are in thin paper sleeves.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Recut hopefully and not repress...the orange vinyl was horrible!

25. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Just to clarify, unless I got a different pressing. 29 appears to be cut by Bernie Grundman and not by Chris Bellman. It has BG in the dead wax and not CB. I think it's the only one of these new reissues that Chris Bellman didn't cut.

I'm referring to the new Pallas pressing (which can currently be purchased for $9.99 on amazon!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.