Ryan Adams - Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luftveraenderung, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I haven't ran the numbers but this is definitely one of the most dynamic Ryan albums in a long time

2. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wow! Nice. Thank you.

Interpolantics and orca orca like this.
  4. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Chris was a cheap purchase on I tunes..€9 for a double album is pretty reasonable.

5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

This is album is an absolute triumph (aside from Doylestown Girl).

And the bonus track Desperate Times is insanely good.

Somethings Missing sounds like it’s come straight off The Unforgettable Fire

Vox78, KDubATX and orca orca like this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Login • Instagram

For anyone interested this is him writing and recording Rollercoaster last year.

7. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

I like it very much but it is less cohesive than I anticipated. At least to me, it does not play like a "proper" double album like Cold Roses. One can tell it is culled from different sessions (a LOT of the tracks are from the Big C/Wednesdays/unnamed sessions).
    EDIT: ... and the use of Cardinals track "In the Meadow" is a complete mind-**** for me.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yeah I’d say where Chris had nothing on it recorded after Prisoner, I’d say this is a collection of tracks recorded after Prisoner (aside from In The Meadow obviously). I think a good amount of the tracks are very recent though

stefjnl likes this.
  9. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

This is interesting that this video is from November of 2021, because this song is listed amongst all of the song titles that were a part of the supposed "Summer of '69 Demos" from 2018.

I'm with you both. This is definitely a consistently stronger album than Chris, but also still feels like a grab-bag of tracks than a cohesive album from a specific session(s0. Feels like a mix of tracks from the L.A. Rain Music sessions and after, mixed with some songs that were self-recorded within the past three years (aka post-scandal) and the one Cardinals track (and tbh I wouldn't be surprised that he streamed it live on IG because he was potentially considering it for this album at the time. Or perhaps he just stumbled on it and decided to include it shortly afterward).

orca orca likes this.
  10. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

A friend of mine who is rather hardcore have picked out a lot of the tracks from the photos of the linear notes for the Big C etc session that Ryan posted back in the days. Some titles are different but it is likely the same songs (the titles fit well with the lyrics). I think we might be dealing with the revisionist side of Ryan here ("bye-bye Universal") and that a bunch of these songs were originally intended for the third album in the trilogy.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  11. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Do you still think it is the Cards playing or has he replaced their playing with his own?
    While I am a Cardinals nerd, it is hard for me to tell since I am not a musician and Ryan is accomplished on many instruments.

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think it’s 100% Cardinals. When there are the 2 lead guitar parts playing it’s definitely Neal. And the backing vocals sounds like them as well. I can’t hear any Graboff though.

13. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Muchas gracias. Have not listened closely to Cardinology in a while, but if I remember correct Graboff's slide was not too distinct on that album either. This track is likely from a later session but nevertheless.
    Btw, the tape hiss on this is surprisingly loud. Hopefully it gets polished on the streaming release (similar to what happened to Chris).

14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I ordered Chris w the shirt because the bundle sort of offset the download cost, but at $30 for the download with no bundle I’ll just wait for the stream this time.

15. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

just crazy that's not on any of the three official releases. I'd say it's better than anything on those three records, or at least top 5 as someone else said here. It could have made Wednesdays a classic album imo. strange why he's selling himself short like that. just as this one deserved a place on one of those:

16. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Might very well be on the other two albums coming. Ryan said that all the other Wednesdays track will appear if only further re-written and re-arranged.

17. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

holy ****, he's really cleaning out his closet itsn't he :) two more albums coming?

Dark Horse 77 and orca orca like this.
  18. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Yes, there will be another trilogy. Ryan says that the next album is titled Born in the H.O.S.P.I.T.A.L. Dunno if the other ones will be doubles, though.
    EDIT: Have also said that 1985 and Blackhole is coming this year (the latter, maybe Christmas – I believe it when I see it).

Dark Horse 77 and stefjnl like this.
  19. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus. Thread Starter

It sounds like an pre-Cardinology Cardinals tune, as in less polished. Never heard an organ with The Cardinals, though. And I’m not sure if it is Casal on backing vocals. Could this be re-recorded with Bob Weir & The Wolf Bros?

Best track he released since 2007, maybe. Makes me want that Cardinals record even more. A bit weird though admits those other tunes.

orca orca likes this.
  20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think Jamie Candiloro had played organ with them.

Definitely not Bob Weir playing. As an aside, I saw Ryan mention on Instagram a couple of weeks ago that he’s hoping to finish the Wolf Bros album this year. At the moment that’s one of my most anticipated Ryan release, especially as he was revisiting tracks like Trouble on Wheels

orca orca likes this.
  21. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Jamie C joined the Cards live during the Red Cave era (2007) and also played on some studio tracks, perhaps most prominently on the "Follow the Lights" EP (and also the KCRW 2007 radio session, among other things).
    Ryan should be beaten with a stick for not putting out a Cardinals recording of "Trouble on Wheels", though. Cannot imagine anything other than there is one in the bag.

dtuck90 likes this.
  22. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Is there a definitive list of unreleased songs? I have a toooon and this was still somehow missed.

23. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Apparently last song they recorded. So post-Cardiology. For some reason, I suspect that it is not from Dear Impossible. When I chatted with Ryan on IG he said that there still are some unreleased Cardinals albums. Claimed that one of them sounded like Radiohead would have done if they had broken into a pharmacy. Always thought that this track was from that session. But if so, why the heck did he release a single song on R&J? Perhaps he will include other Cardinal tracks on the next two albums ... or shelv that particular album for eternity.

24. Are there any plans for a cd release of any of these?

25. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

He has claimed that he will press vinyls and cds of Chris and R&J when he finds a competent distributor. So, hopefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.