SACD and 5.1 future, with Marantz and Oppo opting out?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by signothetimes53, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, they also ditched the phono preamp. You can believe that that's because having a phono preamp inside equipment with so much digital signal processing isn't a good idea or you can believe that it was just done so they can sell customers a separate phono preamp. Arcam isn't the only brand to have dropped this feature, though.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

With their pricing structure on everything they make, it's obvious they want some more cash for that matching phono pre. Many makers have brought back the phono in, in more recent years.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Which AVRs are you and lv70smusic referring to? Just curious.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Arcam, lovely performance reviews and grand prices to match.

5. musicera1969

musicera1969 Member

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I do not get it! Referring to SACD suggesting it is antiquated yet Turntables are the hottest thing going lately.

Sterling1 likes this.
  6. siebrand

siebrand music lover

where is that coming from?

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, this forum and it’s members are often not living in real time I’ve noticed. It’s always not a bad thing actually.

Optimize likes this.
  8. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Sorry. You missed the point. I wasn't referring to SACD as being antiquated, bur rather acknowledging that format survived 20 years without any major labels support. I only mentioned turntables to re-emphasise the resilience of physical formats. I own a significant SACD collection, and decent records collection.

Regards

FashionBoy and Audiowannabee like this.
  9. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I didn't pay much attention to SACD in its heyday because it couldn't be ripped.

Now it can be ripped with ease, there aren't many SACDs to be had and prices are extortionate.

If I'd had a crystal ball, I would have stocked up on them.

Now, I'm waiting for the day when all that 5.1 material and the well mastered stuff ends up Qobuz, etc.

10. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Most of these threads, is <name your format> dead, start with a specious predicate. That is, they start with the smart-sounding idea that since most people don't care about physical formats any longer and prefer streaming to their phones and listen with Beats, that, therefore, physical media is dead.

While it may be perfectly true for most people, it certainly isn't true for all people. We, here on SHF, are far from "most people." We debate tubes vs. solid state, bi-wiring and which $1,000 moving coil cartridge sounds best. These subjects are inconceivable to most people.

However, there is a market for 7 watt tube amplifiers and $4,000 DACs and $2,000 speaker cables. Just because most people don't care and mostly doesn't even know anything about such things certainly doesn't mean that nobody cares. As long as there are buyers there will be sellers.

Is SACD dead? For most people, certainly. For the few who visit SHF and many other fora, it may be a niche product but is is not dead.

11. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Folks that think SACD is antiquated are not qualified to profess on the subject. SACD is still the de facto state-of-the-art recorded music medium.

GregM likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

13. SACD is like Dracula. He keeps dying at the end of each movie, but you know he's coming back in the sequel.

SACD is the format of choice for vampires everywhere.

Audiowannabee, F1nut, Echo and 4 others like this.
  14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

An article by a journalist describing last weeks Munich Hi-Fi show, the biggest in the world, noted that where the last couple of years featured almost no CD players, this year's show featured state of the art CD and SACD players by many manufacturers as they push technology and prices higher.

15. layman

layman Forum Resident

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Any supporting 5.1?

17. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I've only read about the newest T+A transport, the Levinson, and Esoteric's latest flagship and I pretty sure none offer any kind of multichannel output.
    Maybe 2020?
    What are you using? The Oppo 205 digitally into a processor?

edit: I read today that the biggest attended show in the world is the Hong Kong audio show, with Munich in the second spot.

18. Dutton Vocalion has promised more SACDs are coming from them. Announcements soon.

quicksrt, soundboy and F1nut like this.
  19. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Nope. I play only files.

Hymie the Robot and RnRmf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.