SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No worries of any derailing! That coming from a guy who was in the rail industry for over 42 years. In that time I saw my share of derailments :eek:!

I nailed it due to the incredible help from Simon :righton:! Thanks to his patience and his very methodical step by step advice. Thanks again Simon :)!

One thing that we came across was that the 103's drawer did not open when the thumb drive was put in the front USB input. What the issue turned out to be was that I had two hard drives connected to the 103's rear USB inputs. Once I disconnected the hard drives and reinserted the thumb drive the drawer opened.

gd0, Simon A and Hymie the Robot like this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

gdO,

The vast majority of devices are configured to obtain an IP address automatically via DHCP. If you use a computer to do email, connect to the web, etc., then, in most cases, you do not care what your IP address is on your home network, nor do you need to know it. The IP address is a link between your router and your device. If you request a webpage, for example, the router keeps track of which IP address initiated the action, and then ensures that the appropriate information is routed back to that IP address.

In such a situation, the router and device could be changing IP addresses continuously, you would be none the wiser, and you wouldn't care as long as you get your email, etc.

However, there are situations where the dynamic nature of DHCP proves problematic. Say, for example, you wanted to use remote log-in to connect to a computer on your home network. In order to locate this computer you need the public IP address of your home network (this will be provided as either a dynamic or static PUBLIC address by your ISP) and then some way of uniquely identifying the computer to be reached. This is typically done using Port Numbers, and then you map the specific port number to the IP address of the computer on your home network. Now, because dynamic IP addresses are dynamic (duh!), it means that the computer's IP address could change. If it does, your map no longer works, and you are unable to remote connect.

To prevent this, you create a static (fixed) address. This will not change, and so your remote log-in works at all times.

The situation is similar for SACD ripping. The ripping command needs to identify the SACD player connected to your home network. If its address is not fixed, then it could change at some point (for a variety of reasons). Each time this happens, the ripping command will fail. By fixing the IP address of the player, the ripping command will always work.

If you have followed the instructions to reserve a DHCP address in your Apple router, you should never have to change the IP address in the ripping command again!

gd0 likes this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Which is why my instructions stated:

12. power down your Oppo, disconnect any other USB devices, and then insert the USB stick with the Autoscript folder on it.

:)

superstar19, Bill Mac and Simon A like this.
  4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Thread Starter

Hunhhh... weird.

That's something else that I don't experience. I've had an external HDD connected to the Oppo for months and I've not seen that happen. Tested it just now, and the drawer opened.

:shrug:

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Thread Starter

Hey Black Elk.

I wouldn't blame you if you didn't believe this, but...

I actually understood everything you wrote there. :laugh:

Thanks again.

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

This is all VERY confusing.
    All I have a Mac Mini and a Cambridge CXU, have no idea if I have enough to make this work.
    But as a fellow computer dimwit, if Bill Mac was able to figure it out I’ll give it a go too

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you don't know how to set up your router to always give your Oppo (or other Blu-ray player) the same IP address you can use the Fing app on your phone (iOS or Android) to scan your network and tell you what the IP address is for your Oppo and all other devices on your network. Fing is a very handy app.

The Fing app is free. Links to the app downloads is here: Fing App

8. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

As I understand it the OPPO-205 is not a device which can be used to rip SACDs, is that right?

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Correct. Among Oppo players, only the 103/105 models (all variations) have the right Mediatek chip to rip SACDs.

10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

On a Windows PC, your Oppo will show up under network, in Windows Explorer. Just right click the Oppo icon, and under properties, the ip will show.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Has anyone here (with a 64-bit system) tried SACDExtractGUI? It is supposed to be faster, and have better features.

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It is possible to get the IP address for an Oppo and other devices on your network from within Windows. That info will just be buried a few layers deep, and located in different locations for different versions and builds of Windows. Plus the latest versions of Windows 10 are disabling some of the network discovery so Windows isn't finding things on the network as well as it did in the old days. To avoid long explanations about how to find the IP address for network devices in different versions of Windows I tell people to run the Fing app on their phone. The Fing app is easier and more informative. Fing is also developing a desktop app for Mac and Windows.

13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I use it on a Windows system with my Pioneer player.

I like that you can specify the output directories for the files, and that you can set it up to get an ISO file and DSF files done in one step.

[​IMG]

superstar19 and Kyhl like this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

As long as I have been ripping SACDs, including ripping without a router, I have seen my 103 show up in/on the network. The only times it doesn't show up, it won't work, and the process doesn't rip. A couple restarts, the 103 shows back up on the network in Explorer, and the process begins working again.

With that said, another way to quickly check the ip is never a bad thing and that is why I originally gave your post a thumbs up.

15. Hymie the Robot

Anyone have any thoughts on the absolute best way to go from iso to just the multichannel portion as a pcm FLAC?

I am willing at this point to lose a bit of SQ for compatibility. Goal is to lose the least amount of quality in the conversion process.

16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Foobar2000 is really easy and reliable for this purpose. Simply drop the iso file on the foobar window. The Stereo tracks appear on top of the list followed by the Multichannel ones. Take your pick and convert to flac.

Bill Mac and Hymie the Robot like this.
  17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I can't figure out how it works. I find the Sonore screen so much easier to use and understand.

18. Hymie the Robot

Yes Foobar is the simple and most obvious. Just looking for other opinions and options before I begin the process. Something you DEFINITELY don't want to do twice.

Simon A likes this.
  19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Thanks.
    Guess it is time that I download a newer version.

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Thanks for the follow up, Craig. I've downloaded the zip file, so I'll give it a shot.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

I haven't tried that one yet. Please post back how it works for you.

22. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm sure someone will beat me to it. Just did two on Monday so it might be a month before the next new one arrives. :hide:

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Just tried it (on a Windows PC). Painless enough, and seems a little faster, though I used the ISO+DSF option, so it will be interesting to see whether ripping just to ISO is even faster. I think I read in the release notes that the main speed advantage is for Linux and MacOS -- poo!

I would not use the ISO+DSF option if ripping a multi-disc set due to the need to re-name folders/files.

24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Probably covered already, what is the advantage to ripping ISO? Space?
    I've always ripped to DSF and skipped the ISO.

25. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I use the DSF output directory as my work area to get the folder names/file names/tags the way I want them before moving them to their final destinations on my music server hard drive and backup drive.

I use the ISO output directory to get the name and file structure set up for storage.

I'm sure everybody has their owns "system" on how to keep this straight when cleaning up the folders/files the way they want. :laugh:

That's why I ended up partitioning one of the hard drives on my PC so I have an "M:" drive where I do all the work when ripping CDs/SACDs and organizing downloads before moving them to their final location.

Kyhl and superstar19 like this.