SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Just thought I’d document what my testing has come up with so far.

1. As Black Elk said, Toulouse Street is a Stereo SACD. So for the second test, I used Beck, Bogert & Appice which has quad.

2. I’m using a Sony BD player and the AutoRip tools on a thumb drive formatted to exFAT.

3. The first time I run the tool, I get an ISO that is 1.5GB. I try to load it in TraX, but it doesn’t see any data.

4. On a whim, I re-ripped the SACD and this time got an ISO that was almost 4GB. This time, TraX sees the file. So the first lesson I’ve learned is that the ripping process can be inconsistent, at least with my BD player. This goes back to last night where my very first rip of an SACD came to 500MB which someone pointed out is way to small. My second rip with TS came out normal.

5. In TraX, it shows both Stereo and Multichannel info. So far, so good.

6. I convert and with the TraX demo it just does the first three songs. The result, whether WAV or AIFF, is just plain static. I figure maybe the ISO is corrupt.

7. But then I start playing with the conversion settings, in particular the Sample Rate and Bit Depth. The default is 44.1kHz and 16Bit. When I cranked those up to 384kHz and 24 or 32 Bit, I still get some static, but I can hear the actual songs.

So this makes me wonder... what are the ideal settings? There are lots of options... Threading Model, Conversion Type, Sample Rate, Resampler Engine, Bit Depth, Dithering Type, etc. Obviously those make a difference because initially I was getting raw static, but now I’m up to “a bit of static but now I can at least hear the song”.

Another issue with TraX is that it will do the first three songs which are Stereo. However, I can set it to do the first three Multichannel songs, but it always gets stuck about 75% through the first song.

Anyway, just wanted to document it in case someone goes through a similar experience, especially with the inconsistent ripping.

I’m not inclined to put Java on my main system to run ISO2DSD, but I have a Mac laptop that I’m not doing much with and may try it there. But first I wanted to give TraX a good go and see what it could do. I’m still hoping I can figure out the settings and get it working.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Are you comfortable with the terminal and commandline tools?
    Download the setmind version of the sacd_extract tools. One page back in this thread I linked to setmind's version of the SACDExtractGUI tools. That archive also includes a commandline version of sacd_extract. Use that version of sacd_extract to extract the DSD tracks from the ISO file. setmind's version of sacd_extract has some extra options to avoid the potential tick or pop sound at the very beginning or very end of a track.

The GUI tool included in SACDExtractGUI is written in Java. But you don't need to use the GUI tool. All the GUI tool does is give you a GUI to run sacd_exract. If you're comfortable with commandline tools you can run sacd_extract without the GUI and do everything needed. I do all of my SACD ripping using the sacd_extract commandline tool. I've never run the GUI.

JakeKlas, TarnishedEars and gd0 like this.
  3. JakeKlas

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that when I have more time later today. Command-line doesn’t bother me... what throws me sometimes is when there are a variety of parameters and then I have no idea which ones to choose just to extract everything. But maybe that will be clear when I read your whole post later. Thanks!

Simon A likes this.
  4. JakeKlas

So one final (he says, hopefully) question, then a comment on another solution...

When using the command line, what is the basic structure? I’m using: sacd_extract -i Beck.iso

But I get “zsh: command not found”. I know I’m in the right directory and the files are there, so I must be missing something else.

I went back to playing with TraX and when I changed the Resampler Engine from the default “Core Audio” to “SOXR”, I get files without the static. So in a sense, that now works, at least with the trial version.

If I can get TraX working to my satisfaction, I’ll likely stick with that. However, now that I’ve played a bit with sacd_extract, I’d like to see that through and figure out if my command line instruction is wrong.

5. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

when you're in a location outside of the path on a unix machine you have to use ./ in front of the command name, like this:
    Code:
    ./sacd_extract -i Beck.iso
    that said, that's not a valid command line- you haven't told sacd_extract where to extract the beck.iso from. Here's a valid example cli:
    Code:
    /Applications/iso2dsd_OSX_v6/sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.140:2002 -I
    I gave the full path to the binary. In macos you can drag and drop sacd_extract into terminal and it will fill in the full path automatically, very handy.
    the -i ip address is my oppo blu ray player's IP on my home network. -I sets sacd_extract to extract an ISO. So substitute the path to sacd_extract on your mac and the ip address of your bl ray player and you'll get an ISO out.
    the switches for sacd_extract are
    Code:
    rorschach:~ elvisizer$ /Applications/iso2dsd_OSX_v6/sacd_extract -help
    /Applications/iso2dsd_OSX_v6/sacd_extract: invalid option -- h
    Usage: sacd_extract [options] [outfile]
      -2, --2ch-tracks                : Export two channel tracks (default)
      -m, --mch-tracks                : Export multi-channel tracks
      -e, --output-dsdiff-em          : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
      -p, --output-dsdiff             : output as Philips DSDIFF file
      -s, --output-dsf                : output as Sony DSF file
      -t, --select-track              : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
      -I, --output-iso                : output as RAW ISO
      -c, --convert-dst               : convert DST to DSD
      -C, --export-cue                : Export a CUE Sheet
      -i, --input[=FILE]              : set source and determine if "iso" image,
                                        device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
      -P, --print                     : display disc and track information

Help options:
      -?, --help                      : Show this help message
      --usage                         : Display brief usage message
    I like to do a -P before I extract anything, sacd_extract will give you a lot of information about what's on there.

As far as what I set Trax to for conversion, I don't convert using trax at all, I just extract DSF files from the ISO. I like to keep the files as DSD and convert on the fly if I'm using a dac that doesn't support DSD natively.
    Here's the settings to do that
    [​IMG]
    full size link:
    Screen-Shot-2020-07-08-at-8-06-44-PM
    @JakeKlas what blu ray player are you using? I've never had rips get interrupted like that, i'm curious if that's your player or your network interrupting the connection.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    JakeKlas and Ham Sandwich like this.
  6. JakeKlas

I’m not doing the ripping over a network. I’ve got a Sony BDP-S6700. I stick a thumb-drive in the USB port and it begins the process to rip. When it’s done (the disc drawer automatically opens) I remove the thumb drive and connect it to my computer.

So I thought that “sacd_extract -i Beck.iso” was correct when the ISO is placed in the same folder as the extraction tool.

7. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

here's the github page for the improved version of sacd_extract that @Ham Sandwich said to use, too @JakeKlas
    setmind/sacd-ripper
    looks like you have to compile it but it only needs xcode and cmake installed, I just compiled a copy and ripped a disc with it.
    lots of the same info I just posted on that page too.

8. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

That might be the right command for that situation, it's been so long since I did it that way I can't remember.
    I've had better luck over the network than trying to do it on the player. Running it on your mac instead of the player lets you see the progress output in terminal, too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  9. Ham Sandwich

My understanding of the current state of things is that some of the Sony players are only able to rip the ISO file to the thumb drive. They can't rip over the network. So the special thumb drive for those players has a script that saves the ISO to the thumb drive rather than send it over the network. But it's so confusing to keep up with things. Documenting software in a giant lengthy forum thread is not a good way to document software and a software project. Ain't nobody got time to read 2000 posts to learn how to rip an SACD.

10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I have a Sony player and I rip over the network.

@JakeKlas, with respect to everyone trying to help here, you shouldn't need to go mucking around in the command line. The GUI SACD ripping app should work fine. If you are having a problem ripping a particular SACD but others rip okay, the most common issue is illegal characters in one or more of the SACD's track titles. If you are getting what appears to be a full size, proper ISO rip and you are having problems converting and splitting it into individual tracks, that has nothing to do with the ripping process, and there are several easy and free apps that can do that for you.

If you're using a Mac, XLD will do it - it's super easy and a not very well known feature of XLD.

Simon A likes this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

This post on Audiophilestyle has links to downloads for compiled versions of setmind's SACDExtractGUI and sacd_extract. Compiled versions for Mac, Linux, and Windows.
    SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
    It's post #4426 in that thread.

It is better to compile things like that yourself from source if you know how. But not everyone knows how to do that.

12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I've re-read all your comments in this thread, and while it is not possible to say with 100% certainty what is going on here, I have a few thoughts:

1. Thumb Drive Formatting (exFAT). FAT32 and exFAT (and FAT16) formatted thumb drives reportedly cannot handle files over 4GB in size. And some SACDs that have both a stereo and multichannel track rip out to more than 4GB ISOs. So that could be your issue right there.

2. Unreliable Model of Player? My first thought is that SACD ripping with your model of player might simply be unstable. In 2018 when the 2012 Sony players had been discovered to work, someone else posted over at Computer Audiophile (now AudiophileStyle) about your model of player (which is a 2017 model I believe) also working, using a recompiled version of the SACD ripping app:

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

They reported the exact same problems as you have - multiple attempts give different-sized ISO files, most of which won't open or produce scratchy or staticky sounds; eventually they appear to have gotten it to work, although it's not 100% clear if the rip truly was complete, and if so, exactly what they did that got it to work. So life might be easier if you just dropped $30-$50 on a used BDP-390, 590 (aka Wal-Mart BX59), S4100, or S5100 (aka Wal-Mart BX510).

(BDP-490 works too, but I believe it was an EU-only model and lacks wi-fi, so I don't recommend it, as wireless network ripping is a great option to have, and the 490 won't be any cheaper than the 390 or 590 on the used market anyway.)

3. Wrong/Unreliable Software with Your Player? On a related note, that 2018 discussion also notes that there is more than one app/source code floating around, and one of the variants only extracts the SACD data but does not also do the necessary decryption - so you get a file, but it is encrypted and therefore does not actually contain the necessary musical data in a usable form. This could be why some discs/rips turn up small files or static, while others turn up full-size files - I have seen anecdotal reports online that some SACDs are surprisingly not encrypted. In other words, it is possible that the version of the SACD ripping app compiled for your machine is the one that includes the ripping code but not the decrypting code.

So my recommendation would be to first reformat your thumb drive on your Mac as just "FAT" (or "MS-DOS") and not exFAT - or to get ahold of a Windows PC and format it as NTFS - and try again.

Another alternative is to switch to network ripping mode, which will put the rip directly on your Mac and therefore sidestep the entire issue of how the thumb drive might handle very large files.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest you consider getting one of the 2012 Sony players, and based on the online documentation and reports I've seen, I don't know if it's been established that your model of player can actually extract SACDs consistently or reliably.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    gd0, Simon A and superstar19 like this.
  13. JakeKlas

I actually tried XLD but it doesn’t see multichannel. (Page 14 of this thread.) I tried it with the BBA ISO and TraX sees Stereo and Multichannel just fine. But XLD only sees one set and apparently that’s Stereo.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that!

I do have an old Windows XP laptop in storage and could format a thumb drive to NTFS, and an old Mac in storage where Java is probably already there. I just got the bug to start mucking with it on my current system when I finally found the tools to extract the ISO in the first place.

I’ll probably revisit this on the weekend or in a couple of weeks when I have a vacation and can sit around to play with things more in-depth.

Again... thank you (and everyone else) for the help and patience! Eventually I’ll get it to work

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

With all of the informative an helpful comments here, I’m puzzled why The suggestion to use command line in terminal would be any better. Unless you love using command line.

If you have a Mac, use the free apps!

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Some people refuse to install Java.

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Why? It’s just a little app.

17. Ham Sandwich

The Java runtime environment is not a small app. To run a small java app you need to have the big runtime environment installed.

18. Ham Sandwich

I'm one of those people.
    The only way I'll run Java is inside a virtual machine that I wipe after I'm done with whatever I need to do in Java. And I won't use the VirtualBox VM.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  19. JakeKlas

20. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I always have a laptop of some sort around that I don't care what I put on it...

tmtomh likes this.
  21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Ok, hopefully someone is still watching this thread who knows what they are doing.

I am using an Oppo 105D, windows 10 laptop and Sonore ISO2DSD.

I am getting nowhere. Not even the start GUI. Not the tray opening, nothing. I don't even see the file iso2dsd_gui.exe
    No executable. Nothing.

Can someone walk me through how you do this?

22. I don't remember all the details how to get it running, but I have it set up and it works.

There are two parts to it:

a) small USB thumb drive with a certain file structure and some files on it (when the Oppo is turned off, and no disc inserted, you plug in this drive on the front USB port and turn on the Oppo, then the tray of the Oppo opens after a few seconds, right after "USB IN" appears on the display)

b) On your PC, you need to have some software tools installed. I am also using ISO2DSD as a GUI, but I am not sure, I think it needs some other things. For sure you need the sacd_extract.exe file, which I think I had to download separately, I don't remember for sure. Once I have the ISO file, I am using sacd_extract-gui-winforms-dotnet.exe to extract DSF files.

23. Oppo and PC need to be connected to the same network. In ISO2DSD, you need to enter the IP address of the Oppo. You need to select "server input" on the top left. IP address could look something like this:

192 . 168 . 178 . 29 : 2002

(I think the 29 is a number that can change, depending on your network. To find the IP address of your Oppo, you should be able to see the Oppo in your Windows Explorer, then right mouse click on the Oppo in the Explorer and it should show you the IP address.)

I use Output Mode RAW ISO, which will give me one ISO file per SACD. Then I can extract stereo and multichannel from that ISO file in a later step, using the other file I mentioned above.

24. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Also make sure the OPPO isn’t on auto play. Power off insert usb stick then power on and the draw should open. If so you good to go. Follow the previous answers on setting up IP.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Also make sure there are no other USB devices connected to the 105. I found that when my USB hard drive was connected to one of the rear panel USB inputs on my 103 the drawer would not open. But even with that I had ISO2DSD loaded and open on my laptop. Is your 105 connected to your network correctly?

Simon A likes this.