SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

You did the right thing. According to Vinyl Engine, the LT is a 0.25 x 1.5 mil Line Trace. The E is a 0.4 x 0.7 mil Elliptical.

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

That is an error in the listing. Not conical stylus.

3. Redd House

Redd House If she dont love me no more I know her sister will

LT = Line Trace
    E = Elliptical

4. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Anybody have an idea as to how tall the cartridge is? I'm curious as to how close they are compared to the Rega cartridges which I think are 15 mm.

5. Anovak

Anovak Forum Resident

At the deepest point, I'm measuring it to be 16mm, and that is without the cantilever. I assume this is what you are requiring?

vinylbuff and Soundslave like this.
  6. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Image borrowed from vinylenginge.

[​IMG]

vinylbuff and Soundslave like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Anyone care to guess how a Shure v15 Type IV would sound compared to the LT? I went ahead and ordered one based on all the comments here. It is for my secondary but decent office set up and I have a tube pre for the table. I had an AT MLA (140?) that I loved but I broke the needle and a replacement is just too much now. I stuck my old Shure on while deciding what to do and it really sounds good! This SAE may just end up staying in the box until I wear out the stylus in the Shure, but any thoughts you guys might have would be appreciated as I’m sure some are very familiar with both carts. I loved the AT but I think the Shure easily beats it. I forgot how good those sound. The table is the standard work horse Technics 1200 MKII.

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I cannot say the SAE 1000LT is worst or better as I have not heard the Shure. But, being a MC cartridge I am betting on the SAE to outperform the Shure and it has excellent reviews by others. BTW- Shure III is reported to be better than Shure IV.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I bought 2 of the LTs, I couldn’t resist.

slybry2 likes this.
  10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Per amount of cartridges stated by seller, he has about 30 to 60 left. That is perhaps up to 2 days worth max per his selling rate of about 30 every 24 hours.

Soundslave likes this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yup. It's a perfect match for that arm I dare say..
    No you want the LT, it's a line contact not a conical, they erroneously put the word conical in the listing.

Soundslave likes this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

You should mount it and test it at least, there have been two instances of a channel being out on these.

Jrr and 33na3rd like this.
  13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm loving mine so far. My azimuth isn't off, the photo angle makes it look tilted.

[​IMG]

14. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

My LT is out for delivery, three days earlier than expected. I am over the moon, because I wanted to put it through its paces before ordering a spare. Seems like I will be able to pick one up by the end of the day if all goes well.

Follow up question: I will run this cart on my Sl-1200. Since the cart is only 4.7g, are people using any extra weight at the headshell?

15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’m not planning to add any weight to my G.

Dr. J. likes this.
  16. Bruce_Wayne

Bruce_Wayne Well-Known Member

Mines LT is out for delivery today as well. Really excited to give it a try against the Audio Technica VM540ml that I am currently running. It will be my first MC cartridge and have high hopes.

Regarding the height of the cart - anyone running this on a Rega table? I have a 2016 planar 3 and am wondering if spacers are necessary.

Soundslave likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

There was a comparison picture just a few posts above. But you can also just measure one, looks like around 16mm once it is on the record with VTF ...

[​IMG]

Redd House and 33na3rd like this.
  18. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Yes, Thanks. It looks like a couple mm spacer/spacers are needed for a Rega arm.

Anovak likes this.
  19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I seem to recall that someone said on another forum, that there was a 3-4 mm difference.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I noticed that in above posts and definitely will. Thanks for the reminder!

21. Bruce_Wayne

Bruce_Wayne Well-Known Member

Great thanks all! Saw the pictures above but wasn’t sure if anyone had an official height measurement from the manufacturer. Appreciate the measurement Davey! Will report back once I’m up and running in the next few days.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I forgot about the MC factor, which as you noted would be a theoretical upgrade. That should make it sound better. The MFSL Thriller is coming out but an early review claims it’s not better than an early Grundman press, just different. Since I have that, I put it on a couple nights ago and it’s an amazing listen with the Shure. I forgot how good it is as I don’t listen to that system too critically. If the SAE beats it, or is even close, what an amazing buy! I will wish I picked up more. I’m running the Soundsmith Zephyr Star on my other two tables so I’m not going to bother comparing those, seems like an unfair fight since those are closer to $2K. Glad everyone is enjoying the SAE so far. I’m sure it will beat my AT MLA that I broke.

23. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

Yes, I am. On my SL-1210 M3D, I had to screw my counterweight way in to zero-out the tonearm with the LT. The max tracking force I could then achieve was 1.6 - 1.7 grams. I wanted to track the LT closer to 2.0 grams, so I added a small weight shim to the headshell.

Dr. J. likes this.
  24. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Anyone sell me an LT? EBay seller won’t ship to Canada. :D

25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Ask seller if they will ship to Kentucky thru the eBay Global program. ebay then will ship to you. No import duty papers to fill out and this is likely what the seller wants to avoid.

doctor fuse likes this.