Sam Cooke documentary on Netflix ("The Two Killings of Sam Cooke")

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt W., Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It lays on the conspiracy theory a bit too heavily, but if you are interested in Sam Cooke (the man and his music) it’s well worth watching. I didn’t know beforehand about his role as a music business owner, and there are some nice cameos and interviews. And it contrasts nicely Sam’s Live at the Copa and Live at the Harlem Square Club (and it’s belated release).

a customer likes this.
  2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I love the Nina documentary. I didn't pay much attention to her before then (not a huge jazz guy); after that, I started checking her out, and have become a fan. It was an honest documentary for sure, they didn't seem to gloss over anything that I could tell.

They kind of make the Sam Cooke one out to sound like it's going to be a documentary about the killing itself, like a true crime doc. That isn't what it is at all, which is fine. I found it interesting, although as others have said if you watch the trailer it makes it kind of out to be a true crime doc, with people talking about how MLK, Malcolm X and Sam Cooke were all somehow interconnected.

Fastnbulbous and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

If you by "caught" mean caught dead, then yes.

Actually, they did mention his infidelity prior to the night of the murder.

4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

This is an excellent post, and mirrored my thoughts on this documentary after watching it 2 times(several months apart). I can add nothing to what you've stated. No conspiracy, nothing complicated. Well stated Clark!

longdist01 likes this.
  5. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Interesting film but the conspiracy part I didnt believe . some conspiracies i can believe some i cant oh well.

6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Hugo and Luigi are the people I've heard as rumored to be responsible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.