Sam Records: New Parisian Label specializing in jazz vinyl reissue.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam records, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Completely missed that release, it looks amazing!

2. Sam records

Sam records Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,
    I was very happy to work on the project. This ephemeral formation lasted only a few weeks, the time of a few concerts in Europe in 1965. There's a lot of stuff in the INA archives, but the licences are quite expensive.
    I've been dreaming of re-releasing the Barney Wilen concert at the St-Germain club for years but it's very difficult to get a licence for this recording...but I'll do it one day. A box set with 5 LP!!!
    Cheers,
    Fred

3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I’m in for pre-order of the Art Blakey and JM date with Nathan Davis via Acoustic Sounds. That ORTF Live in Paris Nathan Davis album was so tremendous, I have been trying to track down any Nathan Davis. I’d highly recommend any Sam Records reissue, they do a great job, quality LPs and materials. My only question is if it is the same night/set from the Jazz Icons DVD? Seems to be the same tracks but could be a different set.

Bobby Buckshot and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. Sam records

Hi, Thanks for your positive comments about Sam Records reissue. I appreciate all the more that Sam Records is a one-man label.
    About, the Art Blakey w Nathan Davis and Freddie Hubbard, yes this is the same night/set from the Jazz Icons DVD except that the sounds come from audio tapes and not film/video tapes.....so the sound is much better even if this is a radio broadcast session.
    Best regards,
    Fred

scotti, Tom Campbell, HJY1 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sam records

Clark Terry is a mono reissue. The Bobby Jaspar is a stereo LP using the original stereo master tapes. Both releases out the same day.
    Best,
    Fred

ellingtonic likes this.
  6. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that was the answer about sound quality, so well done deciphering my question.

7. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

When I ordered the Art Blakey and JM with Nathan Davis album added in Nathan Davis Peace Treaty. Do not miss out on that one either. Acoustic Sounds has shipped both, fingers crossed, could arrive next week.

Joti Cover and Sydster like this.
  8. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

The Blakey is an absolute killer.

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Have my pre-order in directly with Fred at Sam Records...looking forward! Every record I’ve purchased from that label is a treasure.

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

:edthumbs: Just arrived, vinyl is pristine and flat and the Nathan Davis Peace Treaty sounds great, will get to AB & JM later. Thanks Acoustic Sounds and Sam Records!

[​IMG]

11. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Jeez the Nathan Davis / Peace Treaty record is beautiful. What a great saxophonist he was. As usual for Sam Records the pressing is perfect and the sonics are amazing. I have just come from the Music Matters thread where people are gushing about the reissues that they did, and yes they are great but Sam Records are on a par with that. I wish some Jazz fans would look a bit further than Blue Note and Coltrane/Davis wonderful as they are.

Anyway I digress - Peace Treaty is a great release. Haven't played the Art Blakey or Donald Byrd titles yet but I have a good feeling about them.

mikemoon, scotti, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Well said. The Peace Treaty is stellar. The Art Blakey New Jazz Men doesn’t sound as good as that but to be expected because it was live. I think it still sounds fine though, to compare side by side is unfair. The Hub and Crisis though are cookin songs. For Peace Treaty, Now Let me Tell Ya and Sconsolato are ridiculous, could have used 5 more min of Sconsolato!

Stu02 and Jellis77 like this.
  13. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I agree with you about Now Let Me Tell Ya and Sconsolato add Klook's theme to that list. What a great writer he was as well as a great musician.

Dan Steele likes this.
  14. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Can’t go wrong with Nathan Davis. I’ve got a Spanish mono reissue of Peace Treaty from the mid-80s that’s in good shape though nothing to write home about sonically. Great record though (Woody Shaw FTW!). I don’t recall if this was recorded before or after ‘The Hip Walk’ though they were both within a few months of each other. That’s also a great session with terrific trumpet from Carmell Jones.
    Looking forward to receiving this new issue of Peace Treaty! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. On the Blakey too...I’ve seen the DVD that’s the source for this soundtrack and hoping the LP sounds good.

Jellis77 and Dan Steele like this.
  15. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Ronnell Bright Trio – Polydor – 1958
    28,00€

OUT OF STOCK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Despite showing that it is out of stock, in fact it remains 10 copies left at Sam Records store!!. This this a wonderful album.

16. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

I've been looking for the one, but doesn't show as available for me. :(

Dan Steele likes this.
  17. juanmanuel

Sorry, it went out of stock when those 10 copies left were bought. It lasted hours only I think.

18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I just put in an order for the two Nathan Davis releases, and the Miles. So...it's an "all Davis" thing. It's strange, I have so much Miles, but never had Ascenseur Pour L'Échafaud in any form, and haven't heard it yet.

Based on the samples on the SAM website, I would have been happy to order all the releases that aren't already sold out. The live Nathan Davis is down to some promo copies, so I hope my order comes through.

MisterBritt and Dan Steele like this.
  19. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Trying to take advantage of the Acoustic Sounds sale - is the 11 titles in stock, which would you say are the must haves or good first picks?

Stu02 likes this.
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Of the Sam Records titles currently showing on the AS site Id say the Nathan Davis Live in Paris , Mikes L’Asenseur and the john Lewis titles are my favourites. I just ordered the more recent Nathan Davis that just came out but cannot comment as I have yet to hear it. The Paris lp is essential though IMHO

scotti and Dan Steele like this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I have the Nathan Davis ORTF (I only have Peace Treaty on CD, but I'd pick up this LP reissue in a heartbeat anyway), Miles L'Asenseur, Bobby Jasper & Clark Terry titles and they are all excellent. I have the Monk on CD as well but simply based off of the other LPs on this label I'd recommend it. You're not going to go wrong with any QC issues from this label. It's basically whether you like the music or not. I'd pick up that Chet Baker if you like Chet - I think all of their other Chet titles are now OOP (I could be wrong, or they could be available from other vendors as well).

scotti and Dan Steele like this.
  22. juanmanuel

Hello here!!. How about this record?

Horace Tapscott with the Pan Afrikan Peoples and the Great Voice of Ugmaa – Why Don’t You Listen? Live at LACMA, 1998 – Dark Tree Records
    28,00€

[​IMG]
    Sam Records is very pleased to announce the first LP release from French label Dark Tree Records owned by Bertrand Gastaut. I’m helping him out.

23. juanmanuel

And this one!

Jef Gilson – Jef Gilson a Gaveau – SFP 10.004 – 1965 – Out on August 15th
    28,00€

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock and Johan1880 like this.
  24. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Can someone comment on the sound quality of Afternoon In Paris? I'm diggin the vibe on Apple Music. Is this in stereo or mono?

Also, what is your favorite release by SAM Records? I see that Peace Treaty has been a best seller on AS.

25. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

So far, "Peace Treaty." I have "Chet Baker Quartet," John Lewis/Sacha Distel, and Chet Baker/Bobby Jaspar (with a few more in transit). All good, but "Peace Treaty" moves me the best. I became an instant Nathan Davis fan just the other night.

In the mails is "Live in Paris," "Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960," and "Byrd Jazz," so favorite is subject to change at any time.

scotti likes this.