Sample This - Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jimmy Disco D, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this?

I just finished Hip Hop Evolution and The Get Down and was in the mood for more old school hip hop viewing so decided to give this a go.... the story of The Incredible Bongo Band's "Apache".

I must admit that I knew very little about what is one of the most influential tracks ever laid down. I did know that Michael Viner assembled a group of studio musicians for the job but I never realized that it was such a stellar line up. I'm familiar with King Errisson and ubiquitous drummer Jim Gordon but who knew that they were playing those infamous breaks?!? (Probably a lot of people, but not me).

I'd recommend this doc if anyone's interested in seeing how this classic came about, it's fascinating to see who was involved and how it came together. It's far from a great documentary though - it's too long, so there is a lot of superfluous material, but worse was the cheesy, generic narrator who sounded like he'd just come from one of those cheap "Search for the Noah's Ark" or "Ancient Technologies" documentaries. I would have liked to have seen a bit more about how the track has been sampled and recycled as well... it was covered, but not particularly well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.