San Diego Recording Studio(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant Thread Starter

Thanks this is great! Is it the same building now or was it torn down for offices?

And do you remember an engineer that worked there named Fred? He was such a laid-back fellow we called him “relaxed Fred.“

2. Monasmee

Are there any existing photos from SHS? Part of my confusion is how some are saying this was a teenage dance club.

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

That I don't know. I could probably tell if I saw it as I was there a few times. Not sure about Fred.

No I don't have any photos. I wish I had photos of some of the places I've been and things I've done, but we just didn't all carry cameras like we do today.

There were a lot of photos taken when I was touring, but not by me, and nobody I know seems to have any.

4. Monasmee

No worries thanks.

Here is a Facebook page of Straita Head Sound. Yet old bandmates recognize it as the Cinnamon Cinder where they rehearsed using Seals & Croft’s mixer built by Straita!

They say the recording studio was a 20 minute drive from Cinnamon Cinder so it can’t be the same place.

Or maybe they combined businesses after 1975?

Straita Head Sound

Straita Head Custom Built Seals and Croft 32 Channel Console 1970s - Black and Red

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

LOL, that's funny that our old console is for sale. Like I said earlier, my friend Ron designed it and I knew it well. I'll show him that link and I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it.

I think I also mentioned that a nearly identical one was made for Earth, Wind & Fire. Oddly, before I went out with Seals & Crofts, I auditioned with EW&F and almost went out with them instead. It was Ron that convinced me at the last moment to go out with S&C.

I somewhat remember the Cinnamon Cinder but don't think I was ever there. Back in those days, I only went to clubs if I was doing sound there.

Regarding the photo, it looks like the same place but it also looks different. I think the building is still situated as it was and they either remodeled it or did a makeover.

6. Monasmee

Quite impressive because I love both bands! It's quite an honor Sir.

So here's what I think I've figured out so far....

The Cinnamon Cinder
    7578 El Cajon Blvd. (where the band rehearsed) was 2 miles up the road from the recording studio most likely located near University Ave/70th because Weinerschnitzel was just 50 steps walking distance from where the band recorded.

If so, what address was Straita Head Recording Studios located in 1975?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  7. Monasmee

Still waiting for FB Group approval so maybe you can mention I’ll be responding to their replies soon?

hi_watt likes this.
  8. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Ah cool, I'll let them know

Monasmee likes this.
  9. Monasmee

Thanks again, maybe others are not seeing my Facebook response because I posted incorrectly?

So far no response from the group which is odd considering their previous response to you. Now that I’m providing further info.... nothing.

Unless I’ve hit a nerve in the community unwittingly asking about Straita Head Sound?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yeah, I am wondering what is up with them not saying anything anymore.

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Pretty sure it's the same place in that photo. As for hitting a nerve, that's entirely possible. I didn't know Gary very well but I do seem to remember there was a lot of drama around that place. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to say more at this point.

Monasmee likes this.
  12. Monasmee

At this point I'm assuming Straita Head Sound was the name of the studio which could be misleading because I don't have enough info.

Under the circumstances, best question to ask this thread: What was the name of the recording studio directly across the street from Weinerschnitzel in La Mesa, CA near Hollywood Ave. & 70th way back in 1975 when many of us old farts were teenagers?

13. Monasmee

Was there ever a connection with Studio West & Straita Head? We’re trying to locate our band’s original multitracks recorded at the latter back in 1975 before their doors closed.

We’re thinking possibly another studio may have them.

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

No. Good luck with that. Most of the multitracks for projects I worked on ended up with the artists or labels. After all, it was usually them who paid for them.

There was so much waste in my day. We'd often use multiple reels for each song and by the end of the project we could have dozens of 2" reels. Often the master takes were pulled to a master 2" reel for each side, leaving lots of reels with no purpose. Of course those reels could have been reused for other projects, but most clients didn't do that.

I really doubt a studio would keep old client reels around, especially for over 40 years.

It's funny, but many of our live recordings ended up at radio stations. Years later some showed up, but many were destroyed or lost. My old boss actually got some of our live recordings from the station that aired them, many years later, which was a minor miracle, yet they were destroyed in his house during the 2007 San Diego wildfires.

Among them was an early live recording I made of the Ramone's and never ever got to hear.

Monasmee likes this.
  15. Monasmee

Thanks this helps a lot. Even if we don’t find the tapes locating the old recording studio address would be great for our Scrapbook.

Hopefully, someone here may be able to provide Straita Head Sound recording studio history prior to their 1975 relocation to 7578 El Cajon Blvd (previously Cinnamon Cinder)?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  16. Monasmee

I think we found it!

El Cajon Historical Society's 1974 records indicate Straita Head Sound operated at 225 Magnolia, El Cajon with Der Weinerschnitzel just a few doors down at 291 Magnolia, El Cajon. Unfortunately both buildings are now a City Hall parking lot so currently researching historical photos fingers crossed!

Does anyone remember recording at this Straita Head Sound location before they relocated to La Mesa in 1975?

17. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Good luck with that. It would have to be somebody my age or older and we'd probably know each other. I'd be delighted if you could find somebody. :)

I'm pretty sure that was Fanfare Studio on Magnolia. I mentioned them earlier in this thread. I'm sure Fanfare was in El Cajon, but not quite sure of the address, as I don't ever remember actually being there. I believe they were mainly a jingle house.

I guess it's possible that Gary was out in El Cajon before La Mesa, but I'd have expected it to have been before 1975, because that's when I was active in San Diego, and he was definitely in the building we talked about before, that turned into a club after he was gone, and I believe was a bowling alley before that.

I was only at that La Mesa place a few times, and in the tech room in the back, which had it's own entrance. And as I mentioned, Gary also had a multi track truck that we used once or twice for live albums.

OK. I did just find this link to Fanfare in El Cajon. It doesn't have an address.
    Fanfare Studios, El Cajon, California

18. Monasmee

Thanks Doug, your info has been quite insightful helping reverse engineer our project so to say.

Based on your info I’m convinced 225 Magnolia El Cajon was the location especially in proximity to Der Weinerschnitzel at the time.

Will explore Fanfare and more now that I seem to have come full circle after slowly ruling out other leads.

Photo soon will keep you posted.

19. Monasmee

Were El Cajon's Fanfare Studios & Straita Head Sound both located on the same Magnolia block in 1974?

Also, is this a photo of the rear tech room of the larger La Mesa studio/nightclub that you mentioned?

Bob Orcutt

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  20. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I have no idea at this point, but yes that was the rear entrance I referred to. I do have friends who would probably know what happened before 75, so I'll reach out to see what I can discover.

Monasmee likes this.
  21. Monasmee

Any help greatly appreciated. Straita Head Sound El Cajon January 1975 sound engineer was Fred who we called "relaxed Fred" during our brief visit.

Collective memory seems to indicate 16 track 2-inch tape was used at the time....

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

OK, I did get a response from a friend.

I don't think Fanfare was on Magnolia -- maybe Main street. Yes, I recall Straita Head being in EC for a few years before moving to LM. I never visited the LM location. My first workings with them were in EC, early 70's. It's so foggy back then...

Monasmee likes this.
  23. Monasmee

Bingo. This is great! Thanks....

With such confirmation, now focusing on historical photos of 225 N Magnolia before that block was demolished.

Would love to hear more if your friend is willing. Early 70's Straita Head history, studio layout, gear.

Does your friend also remember a nearby Der Weinerschnitzel next to the studio?

Seems to be our other point-of-reference landmark no longer there....

24. Monasmee

Thanks again Doug for all of your great input.

Did some followup research over the summer, yet, have reached an impasse, wondering if your friend(s) may be willing to discuss Straita Head Sound, El Cajon (Park/Magnolia) in greater detail, especially the studio's early history, recording gear, & location?

We're trying to reconstruct a visit for a fallen bandmate who recorded there January 1975.

We have the stereo master reel, now all we need are folks who worked at Straita Head Sound to help provide context for a scrapbook narrative.

The studio owner has yet to respond, so, any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    hi_watt likes this.
  25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'll reach out to a friend who worked there and built their consoles, but I haven't heard from him in a few years.

hi_watt and Monasmee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.