Sandy Denny

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nomadicarchivist, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep. Folks forget that it was not released until well after she left the band

Alan2 and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Indeed, Unicorn is a must have set, particularly since the bigger demo-heavy based box sets are out of print and quite expensive. It's also available on vinyl (though perhaps still digitally sourced; not sure), making the only readily available way to hear the demos on a turntable.

3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I love her Oysterband albums. The sole misstep in her recordings (IMO, of course) is the jazzy album Some Other Time, and it's not because it's bad - I just don't like jazz much ( sacrilege I know to all you hip cats out there. :p ). But like I said, all great voices like her seem to wanna try a jazz record. So, as a fan, I let them get it out of their system and wait for them to go back to folk and pop.

As far as Tabor goes I have every album she's ever done including the box set and hard to find stuff like On Air. The only two I don't have are the Quercus ones, which I'll rectify soon.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

She does have a near voice-doppelganger in Shelagh Mc Donald though. McDonald is huskier...closer the June Tabor spectrum, but man, she sounds so close to Denny that it's errie. Must be that Scottish blood they both have.

5. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I've got that 3-disc set also, I wasn't even aware there were differences

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Martin Carthy is no fan of it though. I, however, adore it.

Andy Smith likes this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Need more Clannad.

Fender Relic likes this.
  8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I believe the mix is different too. I think Richard's accordion is a little higher in the mix on the fade-in version. Going by memory.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Which shelf has Steeleye Span?

AlmanacZinger and Fender Relic like this.
  10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I have the 4-CD demos set... was not able to nab the 19-CD set. but yeah, I may still pick this up! :D

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Imo the album entitled Sandy is a good place to start. Any Fairport album featuring Sany Denny is good, but particularly Unhalfbricking.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  12. It’s true. I had been following her solo and Fairport work pretty closely and came upon the Numerophon vinyl reissue by accident a few years ago. I had no idea it existed. It’s a quality reissue with a second LP of outtakes and demos at little extra cost. Highly recommended and worth the search for Sandy Denny fans!

Alan2 and Andy Smith like this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

SP never made top shelf but I have at least one in the Celtic box. ;) I found Like An Old Fashioned Waltz and Grassman/Ravens in that box and pulled them this morning for a spin but haven't got to them yet. I don't know the SP catalog but I'm sure I've heard a few LP's over the years.

AlmanacZinger and MikeP5877 like this.
  14. Fender Relic

Yes. I might have one of theirs and Capercaille,DeDannan,Lindisfarne,Patrick Street,too. I have a bunch of good Green Linnet,Shanachie,Flying Fish,Rounder,Topic,etc. Sweeny's Men and import Swarb LP's along with a bunch of older trad. fiddlers,Donal Lunny, and all kinds of interesting stuff in the Celtic box. I wrote that on the box just to remind me even though I know there's a wide variety of things besides.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  15. I scored a vinyl version of this not long ago. Only played it once or twice, sounded good. Must revisit !!

Andy Smith and AlmanacZinger like this.
  16. I had this just on CD for a bit - then HAD to buy the vinyl when it appeared. I think the vinyl has some material edited out, even though it's a double album and all. Someone may correct me about that! However, it's a good pressing even if digitally sourced.

Alan2 likes this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Numero has the Sandy and the Strawbs vinyl for $12. I just ordered one.

Alan2 and sharedon like this.
  18. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Oh wow. I hadn't heard of Shelagh McDonald. Thank you for introducing me!

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

SACRILEGE! Steeleye are Anglos!

Fender Relic likes this.
  20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

She's fantastic. Only two albums and a comeback. She was part of the 70s Lost Folk Ladies crew among the likes of Vashti Bunyan, Linda Perhacs, etc.

Alan2 likes this.
  21. Fender Relic

:doh:

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You can't go wrong with the first 5 Clannad records, particularly the 2nd and 3rd ones.

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Those of you that own this, could you tell me what you think of it, in terms of vinyl quality? I’ve only have one experience with Numero vinyl, and it was literally the worst experience of new vinyl I’ve ever had. But this post has me thinking I should take a chance on this one.

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I have quite a few Numero vinyls. Mastering quality is generally superb. Vinyl pressing quality is hit or miss. Lately miss, but it's Sandy and I have been meaning to get this for some time. For $12 (plus shipping) it's worth the chance.

CybrKhatru, Alan2 and BlueTrane like this.
  25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's clear that there is no consensus on which Sandy albums one should start with. I strongly suggest the 2CD "No More Sad Refrains - The Anthology" as it gives a nice overview of her work with Fairport, Fotheringay, and the solo albums. If you end up loving the 2CD set, you'll eventually want all of the albums. But even then, this 2CD set makes for a great playlist when you just want to hear the highlights of her career. You can also find it for under $10 if you look around on the Amazon marketplace or Discogs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.