Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Well, the Ian McKellen/Jimmy Fallon kiss was funny. The rest, not so much.

2. Oops, didn't get the sarcasm. I agree, it's not that funny in 2012

3. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I wonder what it means for Jay Pharaoh, who started at the same time those two did.

Aidy is hilarious...awesome to see her on SNL!

4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

What's wrong with his current role? He gets to wave during the "goodnights".

:shh:

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

And his Stephen A. Smith impersonation during the rehearsal for "Weekend Update" made it to youtube.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Pharaoh just isn't funny. Or hasn't had the chance to be funny. When I think of him, I think of his Will Smith impersonation, which isn't that funny. I have no idea what the office politics behind the scenes are, but, for whatever reason, Pharaoh never created the kind of identifiable persona and recurring characters that Bayer and Killam have created.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

9. So Hader will be doing Clint Eastwood this week? That will be great!

10. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

It's about time, that was the reason he was hired in the first place. :shrug:

11. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

So with that in mind, now the real question is...what the hell is Fred Armisen still doing there, and will he ever leave? :confused:

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Last season I saw a quote from Fred to the effect that he never wants to leave. He's a good jack-of-all-trades guy for the show to have.

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow! It's pretty rare to switch up cast member's signature characters like that.

This will be make or break for Jay. He might do a crazy good job, I'm rooting for him.

dan c

Another article:

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2012/09/13/13843019-seth-meyers-38th-snl-season-full-of-transitions-and-surprises?lite#__utma=14933801.992826359.1342547027.1347489100.1347555351.39&__utmb=14933801.2.10.1347555351&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1342547027.1.1.utmcsr=%28direct%29|utmccn=%28direct%29|utmcmd=%28none%29|utmcct=/&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc|cover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=87742104

14. (a) Hey, Jay Pharoah wasn't too bad!

(b) No matter what you think about Seth Macfarlane, he's one hell of a talented guy.

15. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Better Obama than the other guy. I confess that I'm not a fan of Macfarlane's shows, but he is quite the entertainer. I always make a point of catching him whenever he is on a talk show.

16. (a) I've said it before, but: Vanessa Bayer...:love:

(b) Man, Bill Hader is going to town!

(c) So far, Macfarlane is coming off as TOO adaptable, he's kind of blending into the background...

17. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

38 going on 50!

I'm a weekly viewer of SNL since episode one. Gonna give tonights show ***. Plenty of pop cultural memes worked well into the skits. Like the youtube dancing guy. Musical guest (who?) did NOTHING for me. Seth was OK. Coulda been pushed a bit harder. I like him doing the FAMILY GUY voices. The puppet sketch with Bill Hader was interesting. News- no great shakes, but OK. Not sure what I think about the new MIKE AND MOLLY-esque heavy girl player. Not a bad season opener. I'm sure we'll have plenty of highs and lows ahead- just like any other of 37 previous years of SNL. Just AMAZING that it is STILL THERE! Will we make to SEASON FIFTY???!!! (Will be here B4 we know it!)

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Liked the Obama political ads a lot dissing Romney. Also, liked Hader's Eastwood and the Chair bit.

Seth was great too, but I don't know what the homosexual, African American, and disabled communities will think of his jokes in the monologue.

(I would rather have had Billy Ocean as musical guest instead of Frank Ocean.)

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

LOL! Me too.

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Right On! drmark7. Cheers to season 38.

21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The show was stellar. There was certainly less of that "awkwardness" to the sketches and style of the comedy that the show has been plagued with for the past 10 years or so. I can tell already this is going to be an energetic, funny, and very well-recieved season.

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ugh, I got a totally different impression. A bunch of background players and not one compelling presence. Apparently Kristen Wiig dominated the sketches for the last several years for a reason. With Wiig gone along with the four or so skits she'd star in, we now have four or five skits that would have been end-of-show fodder leading off, and several that wouldn't have made it out of rehearsal filling in the rest. IMO, the only funny thing was Seth McFarlane's monologue.

23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Say, was that John Mayer with Frank Ocean during the second song? Nice guitar.

24. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

For a season opener, it was lackluster. McFarlane had his moments and Bill Hader was great.

Turned off the musical guest.

Hopefully the season will get a little better.

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yep. Whatever is said about Mayer personally, he's a good guitarist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.