Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Yes, that skit was also very funny.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Peter "Drunk"lage :laugh:

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Vanessa's bar mitzvah boy sketch just doesn't work anymore. Ok, everything is better than homework. Lots of grinning in that sketch.

4. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

The show went downhill after the Keneen bathroom skit.

5. I can't wait to watch. I love Melissa McCarthy.

6. JohnG

That game show sketch stunk.

7. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

There's too many game show sketches, period.

That bathroom sketch was hilarious.

8. JohnG

The Peter Drunkalge skit is getting rave reviews tonight. Peter was a better drunk than Drunk Uncle (who really wasn't funny at all).

9. JohnG

I like the energy of McCarthy but the writing isn't cutting it tonight. That pizza sketch also bombed.

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

As usual, the first half of the show was good but the 2nd half was poor.

11. Another new SNL, another show where I fall asleep a few minutes after the monologue. I think first-run SNLs have a narcotic effect on me.

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Just remember folks, they had a whole month off to come up with that gold.

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Gums are the new juggs.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  14. JohnG

Apparently. :D She gives it her all and it was funny the first time you see the skit but its not something they should go to the well so often. Plus Passover was 2 weeks ago.
    I was disappointed no Drunk Uncle St Pats rant (like Belushi years ago) but maybe it's not PC to make fun of the Irish and drinking anymore.

I DVRd the episode and will give it one more run through (I split after the pizza sketch) to find any comedy gold and to see the Drunk Uncle sketch one more time.

15. Gf and I are not fans at all of Melissa McCarthy, but that first sketch had us both laughing out loud. Well done Melissa. :thumbsup:

16. JohnG

Btw... I did like Phoenix's music on the episode.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was excellent. Best part of the show. I found the rest to be a let down.

"Drunk Uncle" should be funny, but it would help if they didn't follow the same exact pattern each time.

I did like Kate McKinnon's "Shakira".

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I enjoyed them as well. I'd never seen or heard of them before, but was pleasantly surprised, especially with the first song. I'll check them out more on YouTube.

Also, I enjoyed Melissa McCarthy. The SNL writing may suck, but she's a funny actress. Most hosts bore me to death, but she always has a smile on her face, gives it all she's got and is a very good comedic actress. I don't blame her for the bad sketches they give her.

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Agree on all points. I nearly hurt myself laughing during the game show sketch where she was the incompetent Vanna White.

Also, I must be alone in finding Vanessa's bar mitzvah boy sketch funny, but I do.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Rather ho-hum for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but the skits with Melissa all seemed "samey" to me.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not alone. I thought this was perhaps the funniest iteration of that character to date. Bayer finally achieved total obliviousness.

I also got a kick out of the ham presentation sketch. I'm always amused by people who can move/dance funny, and appreciated that they did not just re-hash another Les Jeunes De Paris.

22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The show was ok. Miguel looked like a perfect jackass out there though.

Dan C likes this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Vince's monologue seemed to go on a bit, eh? I remember thinking they must not have a wealth of material this week if they are making him stretch the open that long. Or that something got cut last second and so he had to do that. It wasn't bad, but it did take up some time.

Best sketch was the bit on the punk rocker who liked Margaret Thatcher.

I didn't really think anything was outstanding, but I did enjoy the sketch of the people with no short term memory trying to do a play. I wish Bill could control his giggles better.

The LL Cool J/Brad Paisley bit was funny also, I thought.

I'd never heard of Miguel before, but he wasn't what I expected. I didn't care for him, but I did assume a one word latin name would be something like Enrique Iglesias.

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I actually fell asleep during the monologue. I'll watch the rest of the show a little later today.

25. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.