Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

2. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Don’t watch SNL very often but he is one of the best cast members they have ever had.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Not familiar with the last two hosts at all.

4. Kenan will be on the show until, one way or another, he has to be physically removed from 30 Rock.

seed_drill and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Anyway. Hosts look OK, shame about the musical guests. As usual, it'd be nice if they made some more left-field choices, particularly those whose careers started after the Clinton administration.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Sam Smith was eight years old when the Clinton Administration ended.

MLutthans and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

Not a fan of Sam Smith (my mom isn't either), but I do like Jay-Z and Pink.

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I really don't think this was the season to male big changes, but okay.

12. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but how TF did you miss the Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot hype machine of 2017!?

13. MikaelaArsenault

I don't watch current movies that much.

rburly likes this.
  14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Make. Make! Ugh

ianuaditis and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. But is he a left-field choice? Nuh-uh. He's been on before, and is utterly MOR.

16. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

With the season starting this week and the first live cycle now set, here are my predictions for who will host the next live cycle...

10/28 Will Arnett & Debra Messing—musical guest Kelly Clarkson
    11/4 Host & musical guest Taylor Swift
    11/11 Alec Baldwin— musical guests The Corrs
    11/18 Darci Lynne (winner of “America’s Got Talent”)—musical guests U2

I think these are good predictions as I believe the next live cycle will be the best yet this season and return the show to the glory it had in its original five seasons

17. I'm still hoping for host Carrie Brownstein with musical guest Sleater-Kinney. Yeah, they're from the Clinton era, but they're still hip. :)

Billy Infinity, darkmass and OldSoul like this.
  18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'll give you that. He's pretty milquetoast.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Yeah, that's where the real stuff is at.

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I don't either much at the Theaters except when wanting to see movies with great cinematography with Winter Snow Scenes like 'The Girl with Dragon Tattoo'(US Version-although I also bought the 3 Movies Box Set that were the Originals Made in Sweden-still waiting for the US Versions of the other 2 Movies), the movie with DiCaprio attacked by the Bear(The Revernant'-Spelling?), and 'The Hateful Eight'(although most of that movie ended up being shot in the cabin, the early scenes in the snow looked awesome). There was also a recent Movie released with Winter Snow Scenery(Wind River?). I guess along with not liking Hot Weather, any movies with Snow Scenes look awesome to me.

I do need plan to see 'IT' though, if I can get the time while it is still in theaters, as love the book, and the reviews for this movie seem good overall.

Just noticed your bottom line listing 'John Larroquette as Dan Fielding on Night Court'. I bought a few of the Seasons of that show on DVD a few years ago(used to catch a few episodes on a Cable Channel showing older tv shows). He is very funny on that show. He reminds me of how funny the actor was, who played the Dad on 'Titus'(Christopher Titus' Dark Comedy that might have been too close to his own dysfunctional Psychotic Mother & Mentally Abusive Father in his real life, but to me the only great Comedy is Dark Comedy). I need to get the other Night Court Seasons to watch(not sure how many Seasons there are), or see if any streaming services has that show.

I am thinking of soon changing my Avatar to my 2nd or 3rd Favorite TV Show.

As far as the New Season of SNL, I only will check in to see the Baldwin playing Trump Opening Scenes, and if any good Music Guest are on this season. For Music Artists with recent album releases or upcoming releases, how about Grizzly Bear, The National, Temples, Depeche Mode, Beck, St. Vincent, The Horrors, The Sparks, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard(planning to release 5 Albums this year alone!), Arcade Fire, U2 and now that he has an album that has made the Charts if only briefly, Steven Wilson? Actually, Paul Draper(formerly of UK late '90s Band, Mansun), has made one of the best Albums of the Year-IMO.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  21. MikaelaArsenault

What was the name of the channel?

22. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

The hit or miss nature is in the show's DNA but the chances of a hit sure increase with a good host. I hope someone like Melissa McCarthy or Michael Keaton has a new film out, just so they can come and host. A good actor with sense for comedy and live performance is a rare thing. Pretty faces there are plenty of.

I also hope Alec Baldwin is busy doing films and staying away from 30 Rock, because I've never warmed to his impression of the president. It's one dimensional, which might make it accurate, but one dimensional nevertheless. As a host (instead of basically a regular) Baldwin might fare better in my books.

Political satire doesn't need to be one dimensional. One of the funniest shows around in my mind is actually "The President Show" on Comedy Central. (Googling the name...) Anthony A (Checking the spelling on again) Anthony Atamanuik does a great job not just impersonating but creating a character, a little boy grown big with a little boy's dreams and nightmares.

23. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

True SNL needs real stars, not re-hashed hosts-who-were-former-cast-members or indie no-name artists people will forget because Lorne Michaels is too cheap to book hosts and musical guests. Real stars that will make SNL the show that it was in its first five seasons. I think Celine Dion will have a new album out next year...why not get her too?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Sorry, cannot recall the name of the Cable Channel or if it is still available. It used to show several Classic Sitcoms from the 1990s, 1980s & 1970s. There is a Channel called TVLand that shows episodes of Cheers(think that was the same time era as Night Court over overlap) and Hallmark Channel shows Roseanne(I think one of the best comedy sitcoms ever made-IMO) and a few other older Sitcoms. Maybe one of these Channels will add Night Court in the future, but would figure one of the Streaming Services would show older sitcoms.

I am going to be a Cord Cutter anyways in the near future, as can watch most shows on the websites of the Channels(like The Daily Show & Jim Jefferies Show on Comedy Central Website) and NHL Hockey, College Football & EPL Soccer are the main reasons I still use Cable. Although, also love catching Music Concerts or Highlights from Festivals like Glasto on MTV-2 and Axis TV.

Outside of Breaking Bad on AMC(my favorite TV Show that overtook HBO's 'The Wire' for me), some of my All Time Favorite TV shows(Dramatic Shows) have been on FX the past 16 years, but seems that Netflix, Hulu & Amazon have started to create some of the best TV Shows in recent years, although FX still puts out a few Great TV Shows.

You get a rare Great Show on the main networks like 'Hannibal' on NBC and it gets cancelled due to low ratings, and was a show that should have been on FX or AMC to start with as those channels provide a chance to grow an audience over a few years-although they cancelled 3 Great Shows, Damages-last 2 seasons moved to Direct TV, Tyrant & The Bridge(very 'Breaking Bad' like).

Still hoping a streaming service will cut a deal with the Showrunner(Fuller) for Hannibal, to let him finish out his planned 4-7 Seasons, where he was about to tap into the 'Silence of the Lambs' book for the 5th Season) and hope that Hugh Dancy(Will Graham), Mads Mikkelsen(Hannibal), Laurence Fishburne(Jack Crawford) and Gillian Anderson(Bedelian Du Maurier) will all have free schedules to resume acting in this Awesome TV Show.

I forgot to add to one of my favorite Movies Filmed in Winter with Snow Scenery was 'Let Me In' and the Original Sweden Version, 'Let the Right One In' from the Book. Best Vampire Films ever made-IMO(although '30 Days of Night' was also great).

25. MikaelaArsenault

TV Land doesn’t show Cheers and Hallmark does not show Roseanne.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.