Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Especially if she said "I've gotta leave the party and take the kids to my sistas'"

seed_drill and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

First off Robert De Niro is the worst. The opening for last week was dead in the water. Couldn't they at least have gotten some body tall like Christoper Walken? Jason Momoa was a catastrophe, the cast always seemed to be anticipating his next fail. A host makes all the difference and after an opening even De Niro couldn't ruin Matt Damon brought the energy for a fun 90m.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Cecily's fluctuated in weight her whole time on the show. People always used to think she was pregnant. Personally, I don't see why it matters. I mean, no one made any comment when Kenan gained more and more weight up until this season. But I guess I know what the difference there is.

4. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

What makes the show so bad in the insistence that you HAVE TO read from the cards.

That, and that they're always getting sketches and rewriting up until the last minute - and that's tough on the hosts, and notable some cast members.

I think Harry Shearer's criticism from his 1978-1980 run is still valid. They should start earlier in the week - keep normal hours and put what was scheduled in the morning when it airs.

Tim Lookingbill and OldSoul like this.
  5. OldSoul

It would be a lot less awkward of they did things that way. They should just focus on about 15 sketches for the whole week, instead of coming in with about 30.

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

But anyone who ever did any kind of revue, sketch or improv show can tell you that something that looks can't-fail perfect on the page can die a thousand deaths in front of an audience, so there's always something that they're going to have to either rewrite or cut after dress.

I actually liked the bit where Colin and Che wrote each other's jokes at the end of Update.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The difference is, with Cecily, it was, gee I hate to see a hottie get a little heavy. With Kenan, it was more, gee I hope he doesn't have a coronary like Chris Farley.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  8. OldSoul

Exactly my point.

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yes, forgot about Heidi. She's another up and coming talent. She can do period piece parodies because she has the look from a different past era like the '40's & '50's and even as a '60's flower child.

Not too thrilled about her over emotional YouTube blogger girl character on Weekend Update. Too repetitive.

10. Tim Lookingbill

The card reading habit seems to take the wind out of any sketch that involves over the top emotionalism. The pauses and off stage gazes away from the rest of the actors in the skit just ruins it for me.

There's one sketch in the early Will Ferrell days that takes over the top to a new Zen like level and delivers the laughs and it's the "Wake Up And Smile" sketch of ironically when the teleprompter malfunctions and the words go away...

For some reason out of all the SNL YouTube videos this sketch has been removed. I couldn't find it and I suspect it's probably because it's one of the most outrageous, popular and down right funny sketches I've ever seen on SNL. Everyone in that sketch has solid eye contact or at least it makes sense at what they're looking at off stage.

11. A funny episode. Still enjoying this season.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  12. Is this even an SNL sketch?

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Boy, Miley Cyrus must have made some bad financial decisions. She lost her shirt on Saturday!

[​IMG]

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Matt Damon was the best host this year IMO. I had forgotten how good he was when he did the cold open a few months ago. A few skits from this episode should end up on the SNL Christmas special for years to come (they need to update that).

Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Yes.

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

A few have said that this was the best episode all season

mmars982 and OldSoul like this.
  17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Decent episode- the audio mix for Miley was atrocious! She sounded like she had rockabilly reverb added and the band was playing in another room.

Uncomfortable with all the fat talk- actually saw Cecily in person recently and she looks great. However Keenan has seemed to have shed some pounds- enough to have him imitate Terry Crews at least!

19. Tim Lookingbill

As Marry A Carrot said, Yes.

And I actually saw the "Wake Up and Smile" sketch when it originally aired on SNL. Just can't remember when.

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  20. Cool, it seems like that cast configuration was not long-lived (excepting Will).

21. Tim Lookingbill

It helps to have someone like Will Ferrel's panicked eyes and baboon faced funny looks to drive the idea behind the sketch to over the top artistry. Look up Ben Turpin as another example of a funny face.

https://lostlaugh.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/benturpin.jpg

There's not a lot of funny looking folks in the SNL cast. But I have to say this cast is far more funny than the mid '80's cast where the complaints from the public for SNL no longer being funny was so bad Lorne Michaels was involved in a sketch that had most of the cast killed off in a fire for not being funny enough. I think Tim Meadows was the soul survivor but I might be wrong since I can't find a reference for it and can't remember that far back.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. The above clip was from season #21 (1996) -the only season with David Koechner (I never knew he was an SNL alumni). It was Will Ferrell's first season on the show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You're thinking of the legendarily bad 1985-86 season, which ended with a parody of TV cliffhangers where the entire cast was burned alive with the exception of Jon Lovitz. (Although Nora Dunn and Dennis Miller also returned the following year.)

Matthew Tate and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And then there was another big shakeup in 1995, when Lorne dumped Adam Sandler and several others after a terrible season. That was the cast purge Tim Meadows survived. And the new cast that followed included Will Ferrell, and the sketch posted above is from that season. But much of the rest of that cast didn't last long on the show, including Nancy Walls (now Nancy Carell) who's in that sketch with Will.

Several more people came along the next year and that was the last time there was a big overhaul on SNL... since then the cast has gradually mutated one or two people at a time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

That's the one. And the thing is I didn't actually see that episode when it aired because SNL wasn't that funny any longer. I saw that sketch on an SNL documentary that aired about ten years ago on I think VH1 cable channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.