Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Here’s one -

2. chacha

And another -

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

She has a new Amazon show to promote and he is rumored to have something in common with Milton Berle...

seed_drill, JackBnimble and OldSoul like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

o_O:shh:

OldSoul likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm trying to figure out why I'm not laughing at that. Oh, I know. If I didn't know her background as a prankster from as early on as a child into adulthood, I would have no reference to relate to her as being nothing other than a wealthy show biz type attempting to come across as a regular commoner. So as it is she comes across as trying too hard to be funny.

And it also looks like something an agent/publicist would tell her to say and do so she has something to talk about on talk shows. It's just not credible.

It's not just with wealthy showbiz folks. I could never understand how anyone thought it would be funny to go to such lengths as dressing up in a horse costume and other similar drawn out elaborate methods as a way to be funny.

I used to work with a famous syndicated comic strip artist who was making six figures annually who would do these kind of pranks to other people and it never made me laugh. I just thought the guy was just trying too hard to be funny. I never did such things as kid or an adult because I didn't think they were funny. It's too much work and the lack of timing never helps it land right. I guess I'm just not a prank type person and I don't see Pete Davidson as one either.

6. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Back to SNL: was Idris Elba one of the worst guests of the season? I think most of the material was pretty weak as well, but he was just not funny at all.

7. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I stand corrected... I was going off the top of my head because i remember it being short of 24 and thinking they did so few but 19 or 20 is a lot .. though sometimes I think that being off from may to october is much for a topical comedy show. Surprised there's no real competition at all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

doesn't strike me as a particularly supple funny guy but I'd say the writers helped a LOT by not coming up with funny stuff for him to do. Didn't help that last week was near the top comedy wise.

9. I liked him in the Futball commentary sketch, but anytime they paired him with Leslie Jones you had a train wreck. That lady flubs more lines and cues than any current cast member I can think of. I also agree that the writing was a big drop in quality over last week's excellent episode.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

must have been the writing because he was great in the office for a few episodes playing off of steve carrell

BeatlesObsessive and Pete Puma like this.
  11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The "Bok Bok" (Momo) bit was funny.

Matthew Tate and footlooseman like this.
  13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Maybe Emma will do a sequel to this skit. Of course Taran is no longer part of the
    cast (sadly) but it would still be fun...

14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like the one where they dance to "Tekitoi". Which actress was in that one? Was that also Emma? The part where Taran shoves that large pastry into his mouth in a syncopated manner was impressive.

16. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

That would be the one with Miley Cyrus, and I agree, it's one of my all time favorite
    SNL skits. Unfortunately, NBC pulled all of the videos of it off the web, but I did find
    this one on a web site in Europe. (I love Nasim's dancing in this).
    Les Jeunes de Paris @ SNL - SAPO Vídeos

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  17. agentalbert

Yeah, that's one of my favorites too. Nasim is adorable. I'm a sucker for the little short socks. :angel: I wish they had done more with Abby Elliot. She' stuck in the background completely obscured most of the time.

Hall Cat likes this.
  18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Re: Leslie Jones, I think she's generally great in the pre-taped bits (Star Wars Undercover Boss, Amazon Echo Silver). It's just the live ones where I squirm a bit, hoping she doesn't trip over a cue-card line.

19. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I find Lesley to be out of her element as someone who is more a bigger than life personality than a sketch comedy actor. She's like Ethel Merman, big, loud and crazy animated, a force to be reckoned with, but talented in their field of entertainment.

Lesley's personality is too big for the sketches she's in. I mean that physically as well. She's huge! She towers over everyone. But who else is going to portray short statured Condoleezza Rice? I laughed more just from the idea of that when I saw her as Rice several episodes back.

Lonson, Panama Hotel and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I was going to post that as well, but didn't get around to it.

21. agentalbert

I really like Sara Bareilles, so that's great. Had to look up BTS to see what that was. South Korean Boy Band? I forsee a nauseating amount of high pitched screaming by the audience.

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I feel this way about her as well. Her acting is pretty limited, but in the right conditions she can kill. She's also a writer so she's obviously talented. Her live work is still dodgy though, and after all this time I don't think she's getting any better at it.

dan c

23. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

And a little puke in the mouth by people watching at home. That's the nauseating part.

24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

So who will be playing Beto?
    Gotta be Mikey Day right?

Matthew Tate and footlooseman like this.
  25. chacha

She’s unbelievably bad at Live television.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.