Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Highlight of the show, for sure, but a canned piece which I always think of as "cheating."

2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

4. While I enjoy Kenan and am bummed about him leaving, he's certainly been on long enough and the time has come. But Kate? Wow, that would be a one-two punch and I'd certainly prefer if she was on another year or two.

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

McKinnon took some time to grow on me - she annoyed me at first, too!

MikaelaArsenault and Keith V like this.
  8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I liked Kate McKinnon but they overused her big time and I got pretty tired of her shtick which got predictable. Still better than Kristen Wiig, my least favorite cast member from recent years who everybody fawned over.

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Predictable?

10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Since they had her play so many politicians inevitably she used similar mannerisms when she portrayed them. I really think they do the rest of their cast a disservice when they use one person over and over again.

I like McKinnon and I used to watch her pre-“SNL” on Logo’s “The Big Gay Sketch Show”. I think she was better in many ways back then.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked her right off the bat (I still laugh thinking of her Penelope Cruz impression in that Pantene commercial with Sofia Vergara), but I grew to like her less over time. The show used her too often. Very talented, but too often it seems like she's mugging for the camera. Cecily and Heidi are my favorites on the show. I'm ready for Kate to move on.

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I thought Kenan was supposed to be leaving.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he was but glad he's doing at least 1 more year. it keeps an era of the show alive another season

16. https://news.avclub.com/kenan-thompsons-not-leaving-snl-anytime-soon-1834503541

It’ll be at least another year before we can resume speculation over Kenan Thompson’s continued commitment to SNL. Despite his crowded slate of future projects, the Emmy-winning comedian confirmed his plans to stay during his appearance on Ellen.

“It’s the best job in the world,” Thompson reasoned, after alluding that he will stick around until 2020, at least. “I can’t see myself just walking away from it like that.” If he had decided to walk away after 16 years, who could honestly blame him? Between plans for another NBC show called Bring The Funny, his resurrection of All That as the reboot’s executive producer, and the potentially still-alive NBC pilot for The Kenan Show, ending his reign as the longest-tenured cast member wouldn’t be the biggest stretch. But alas, he’s still enjoying his role as one of the funniest remaining cast members to date. Why bust up a good thing?

:laugh:

17. Watching the new Adam Sandler episode. The Sandler family reunion sketch was hilarious. One of the best of the season. So was the ad that followed. Great to see Opera Man again. :laugh:

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  18. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

For the first time ever, I bailed on an episode. Didn't laugh at all. Kristen Wiig showing up was the nail in the coffin for me.

jupiter8 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

After three weeks and enough political material to fill up an entire season with bits, they open with.......?

...... a game show.

Almost bailed on it about a half hour in, but Weekend Update was pretty funny and now I guess I’ll finish it.

20. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Touching tribute song Sandler did for Chris Farley at the end was fantastic and the best moment in the show.

21. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

That Adam Sandler family reunion felt familiar; like I'd seen it before. Then I found this (Jim Carrey Family Reunion):

Not the first time they've recycled a sketch but it just reinforced how much I hate the majority of Adam Sandler's movies.

That tribute to Chris Farley was the best thing they did all night...

22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There was also a Christopher Walken Family Reunion.

Walken Family Reunion

23. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Opera Man was great. It was refreshing to see a nod to the type of absurdist political humor that used to be more common on SNL.

I don't remember Sandler being so lazy about delivering his lines, though. It was like watching an old Horatio Sanz sketch!

24. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

This Chris Farley song........wow. I mean, wow. That was great.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I wasn’t crying you were crying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.