Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Young Thug!!!! :love:

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'll watch those shows.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. MekkaGodzilla

5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Cast has been finalized
    Lauren Holt and Beck Bennett are leaving
    Everyone else is staying
    New additions- Aristotle Ahari, James Austin Johnson and Satah Sherman

way too many cast members

6. Wow, that’s unfortunate, I was hoping they’d clean house this season. How many cast members is that now?

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

beck was awesome and who is lauren holt? lol

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's it? They go UP by a net of one? Poor Lauren Holt, she didn't get much of a chance. Beck has been there long enough, so time for him to move on. But it's time for a LOT of those staying to move on.

9. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Way too many cast members. Feel bad for the featured players. A few 5+ season veterans should have got the boot (I volunteer Aidy and Pete).

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Kyle Mooney please!

11. MekkaGodzilla

80 Light Beer.

12. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Yeah, I like Kyle but he seems to have increasingly less to do on the show. The audience never really warmed up to his (and Becks) filmed pieces the way they loved The Lonely Island's digital shorts. His stuff is really too niche for SNL and really belongs on Adult Swim or something.

bartels76, MikaelaArsenault and Shawn like this.
  13. Not Trending

Not Trending Forum Resident

21: Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong, Aidy Bryant, Pete Davidson, Colin Jost, Michael Che, Kenan Thompson, Mikey Day, Heidi Gardner, Alex Moffat, Kyle Mooney, Ego Nwodim, Chris Redd, Melissa Villaseñor, Chloe Fineman and Bowen Yang. Along with featured players Andrew Dismukes, Punkie Johnson, Aristotle Athari, James Austin Johnson and Sarah Sherman.

Matthew Tate and Shawn like this.
  14. agentalbert

Kyle "cut for time" Mooney could go out with one final WU appearance as Bruce Chandling (a character I always like), but make it clearly about the audience not going for his stuff. Do it early in the season (like week 1) and bow out Kyle. Don't hang around all year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

16. agentalbert

This girl.

17. agentalbert

New cast, L to R: Aristotle Athari, Sarah Sherman, James Austin Johnson

[​IMG]

The girl almost looks like a Melissa Villasenor character.

18. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

No almost about it. They look almost identical.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

generic cast members imo

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

SNL headshots peaked when I was 14.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

And 21 is the new record for largest cast ever, breaking last year's record of 20, which broke the previous season's record of 17. Lorne Michaels seems to have grown cautious in his old age. He seems afraid to shake things up and is sticking with proven quantities. Such a large cast is really unwieldy and will make it hard for anyone new to break out.

I wonder what the deal is with Beck Bennett, also? If you're retaining a cast that large, what's even the point of singling out just one veteran cast member to dump? The difference between 21 and 22 cast members is negligible.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I don't see any reason to assume he was "dumped."

Dan C and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. agentalbert

With such a large cast, maybe the plan is to have the extent of Kim Kardashian's hosting duty be a monologue and that's it. One can hope. Or maybe they could just photo her for the bumpers, and not even bother with her trying to give a speech.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Granted, I'm speculating. But it seems to me that if he was leaving of his own accord, he would have announced it himself rather than waiting for NBC to issue a press release listing the new cast with him not on it. And he probably would have announced it earlier than a mere five days before the season premiere. All this creates the impression that he's been waiting around to see if he was coming back or not (as noted upthread, Cecily Strong didn't even know whether she was going to be asked back a week ago). And his public statement today (“Love you, SNL. Gonna miss you so much. Thank you for 8 years of remarkable people and incredible experiences that completely changed my life. I had so much fun”) doesn't contain any of that "I felt it was time for a new challenge" stuff you would expect if he'd chosen to leave.

Of course I could be wrong, but the circumstances make it seem more likely than not that he fired.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've thought the same thing from day one from his first and subsequent non-funny performances. The grown man executive acting like an over stimulated baby was excruciating to watch.

The funniest I've ever seen Bennett was in a GEICO insurance commercial as a straight man talking to children in a school room. He should've stuck with less is more approach at SNL.