Save the reissues — please stop returning them!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel S, Aug 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Your mistake is assuming vinylphiles feel any sense of responsibility to the rest of humanity!

Sean, Aftermath and hutlock like this.
  2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I have mixed feelings. Yeah, I've seen people on this forum complain about and state that they returned an album for a reason that I would not have.

On the other hand, a good chunk of the complaints I've seen appear legitimate (to me) and are things I would return for. I return about 1/5 of the new albums I buy (excluding RSD releases, which are not returnable). I've only had to return two titles more than once.

Karmageddon likes this.
  3. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

I have bought several records from used record stores that look new with defective written on the inner sleeve that play through just fine. My guess is people buy a record and listen to it and don't like what they hear so they return it as defective.

4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

As long you equate vinyl with a Micky Dees burger, the yes. ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Aftermath likes this.
  5. I've never returned one. I don't mind slight warps, etc... as long as the album plays without skipping.

Joseph.McClure and hutlock like this.
  6. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Those seem to be an increasing amount of the offenders. I went for years buying hundreds of dollars at every RSD and only the last few years have I had any issues.

7. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I learned many years ago that non-defective records often skip with crappy cartridges. People with Crosleys shouldn't be allowed to return vinyl! :p

Man at C&A and nosliw like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've had warped 180gm records that are too warped and too (unnecessarily) thick to clamp down flat on the platter. Like BOWLS. Two copies of the Abbey Road Electric Warrior pressing to be exact. This idea that only light-weight LPs warp is wrong. I don't care that albums like this get returned. The business needs to learn that we are not paying close to £30 for what is badly made product.

thxdave, nosliw and thematinggame like this.
  9. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

I couldn’t agree more. :)

10. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Having one side or the other pressed off-center is the single most common issue I've had in the past few years, and the issue is generally one that affects a large press run because a stamper has shifted.

I've been able to return some for a refund (after trying another or multiple replacement copies only to have them also be off-center) and some I've just had to eat the purchase price because I didn't get a chance to play it before the return period expired.

Titles I've had off-center issues with just this year include:
    • Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Analogue Productions UHQR - multiple copies, refunded)
    • Amy Grant - Heart in Motion 30th Anniversary (every copy, refunded)
    • Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (mass market, sold at Best Buy)
    • 5th Dimension - Greatest Hits on Earth (the special colored vinyl version from Barnes & Noble; the ordered replacement on regular black vinyl was OK if a bit noisy.)

11. Karmageddon

Actually, having dealt with many labels, both indie and large, over previous defective runs - I can confirm that some labels do in fact, factor in returns. Some of these labels know full well that quality control is amiss, but they desperately want the product out there.

In one case, I had a label send me almost a dozen copies of one title (one that’s been given horrendous reviews both here and on Discogs) and every one of them had issues - and some of them are the same for each one. The label has since told me they are doing a repress and demanding higher QC from the plant they use. I simply told them to go with another plant. Who knows what will happen there - but hey, at least it’s getting repressed. And why? Returns!

but trust me, some labels are absolutely aware of these issues and some retailers DO have a relationship with labels where they either get credited for returns or they can return them to the label.

Farmer Mike, hutlock and patient_ot like this.
  12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Have bought vinyl for 40 years, and never felt the need to return a single one.

13. Karmageddon

In my own experiences as a vinyl collector since 1983, I can say that in the heyday of vinyl (the 80’s) I had only 3 returns - and all three were massive selling albums where I’m sure the plants just cranked them out with zero QC.

funny enough, it was:
    Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Tears For Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

all three albums had skipped on numerous players (including a suitcase-type player like the kids have today!) and they all suffered from extreme sibilance.

all copies were played in store and the issues were verified and they were replaced.

Now - in the 2000’s I bought quite a few new records as they were incredibly cheap - and every one had defects of some sort: non-fill, scratches, blotches, off centre, missing labels....so I stopped buying and selling records altogether in pure frustration.

During the beginning of COVID, I got sick and nearly died. I decided it was time to go through my records that have been in storage (nearly 4000!) and I started cataloging and grading them and I have been absolutely surprised at some of gold mines I have that are in just perfect condition.

In the past two years, I started partaking in all the RSD events buying anywhere from 4-12 titles on a given date - while also buying many new releases and reissues during this time.

I honestly can not tell you all, how many records I have bought that were defective (warped, non fill, wrong record, off centre, incredibly noisey despite cleanings) in this time - but I approximate it’s about 40-60% of the nearly 500 new titles I’ve bought in these last few years.

in many cases - these defects were “one-offs” and I was able to get an acceptable copy with only one return.

But there’s been more than a dozen titles that I can mention - where I had to go through 3-4 copies before getting a good one....and in some cases just giving up on that title altogether.

The truth is, many plants have varying levels of QC a client can purchase - and many of these plants don’t even tell their clients the benefits of higher QC, so these clients just choose the cheapest option.
    This is pretty much fact - if you understand the workings of this part of the industry.

Sadly - some members here are 100% correct: these records with terrible defects HAVE to go back - as it’s the only way for labels to understand what’s going on.

Sadly - if some shops are taking hits, they should end their relationship with the distributor and contact the label directly (as some shops don’t deal with the labels, but instead a third party). The labels I’ve talked to have all been appreciative of the feedback I have given them in the past and I will continue to foster these relationships from this point forward, as I think any diehard vinyl enthusiast should.

I suggest, that if folks get defective records, don’t just take it back - write the labels and make it clear that this is unacceptable for the prices we pay as consumers. The more noise our community makes in unison will equate to more positive results for these situations in the future.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

When my friend ran his online shop, returns depended on where the record was coming from. He bought stock from wholesales distros (3-4 different ones) and some labels directly.

Some distros would not take a return for any reason. Some would accept stock back, but only new, unopened stock. Some would take returns for certain defects, but the store had to pay for the return shipping. For labels, it really depended on the specific label.

I would agree that some labels do factor in a certain amount of defects out of a run. Some also know quality has slipped in recent years. Some are completely clueless about common vinyl defects and don't even bother to batch test their runs. One large indie only checked a run for me a few years ago after I complained about a quality problem. Then they acted surprised when every LP they pulled had the same exact problem.

As a customer, few local shops here will take a return on new LPs. Some will only take a return with a lot of back and forth and hassle. It's why I had to stop buying new records from local shops if I can help it. I support those shops with used LP purchases now, when I find things I like in the used bins.

Too many defects with new records now, no matter who presses them. Condition and quality of used LPs has also been dropping. Had to put back a number of used LPs recently at a shop as many were badly warped. Luckily I checked them on the store listening station before going to the counter.

nosliw and Karmageddon like this.
  15. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

I've never returned new vinyl although I've been tempted to more than once; my response has been just to buy less of it instead.

I used to be an analog guy and initally the vinyl revival was like an answered prayer to me. But it's been several years now, and, ironically enough, nothing's persuaded me back towards digital more than new vinyl. I just don't need the aggro.

Karmageddon likes this.
  16. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Same here.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly. You get what you pay for.

MielR, Karmageddon and nosliw like this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

My first question is always what kind of turntable they have. If they say they got one of them things all-in-one or it came in a suitcase, I basically tell them it's probably their player.

19. austingonzo

austingonzo Forum Resident

The amount of blaming the victim on this thread is infuriating.

I received a bunch of vinyl for Xmas and did not listen to it all until after a reasonable return period had passed.

I look sadly at my Sonny Clark Tone Poet sitting out all by itself from my collection. The last minute of each side has weird channel drop outs and ruins my enjoyment of the record and makes it completely useless for resale.

I've eaten this one in the shorts, and, yes, I have not bought a Tone Poet since.

20. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

A good point but one could also argue that vinyl is not a perfect medium like CD. There will be flaws. Obviously if it is partially or fully unplayable or the sleeve is destroyed, return it.

andy obrien likes this.
  21. Karmageddon

yes one can argue that - but let’s be honest here, making a near perfect record isn’t rocket science by any stretch of the means.

I have thousands of records that are perfectly pressed, dead quiet and centred. I know that vinyl can sound as good - if not better - than it’s digital counterpart, if the mastering and pressing is top notch.

It’s just that most labels and plants truly churn out the product without much thought, research or quality control and new people to the hobby are misled into believing that incredible amounts of surface noise is indeed, normal.

That’s the other thing...some folks describe “surface noise” different than others.

To me, it’s an odd pop or click that isn’t repeatable, caused by static, dust or debris. Maybe a faint rumble from the actual contact of the stylus hitting the grooves...but for some, “surface noise” includes non-fill, stitching, scratches from the sleeve or production - and these are accepted as “part of the format”

Quite frankly, that’s not part of the format at all. That’s simply from sloppy quality control and mishandling.

It’s like equating it to someone buying a new car only to take it home and discover a variety of issues wrong with the engine or interior. Or there are scratches and other imperfections in the design, manufacturing and product as a whole.

I am willing to accept some minor imperfections, such as minor hairline scratches - but when it comes to stitching, non-fill, random distortions, more surface noise than a dirty 78, being off centred or even things embedded in the record itself - it goes back. Period.

I have an excellent relationship with the indie stores in my area as well as the “corporate” stores and I tend to take my returns back to the corporate ones more often than not.

I’d also rather get in contact with the labels directly instead of harassing the indies I go to - but luckily the stores in my city all know me well and my relationship has only improved with them over the years, because I do often spot these issues and warn the locals.

thematinggame likes this.
  22. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

If it were up to me there would be NO returns allowed. You buy, you own it. Don't like it? Tough s***.

mightyquinn61 likes this.
  23. Karmageddon

For a manufacturing defect? Really?

That’s quite a blanket statement to make that seems entirely based on ignorance. But what do I know?

HotblackDesiato, Deek57 and nosliw like this.
  24. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

BTW, you mentioned that you had to do "some work" on the returned LP that you purchased-- what did you have to do to it?

25. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

You buy, you own it. Don't like it? Tough s***

well, as a slogan, its certainly snappy. But if a large part of your market is the younger generation raised in a world where returning online goods is easy and free, you'll not get very far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.