Scanavo "double-disc" slimline cases affecting DVDs...?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

There's more detail at the link below, but the upshot is that double-disc slimline DVD cases manufactured by Scanavo may be leaching oily deposits, which are then transferred to the surfaces of discs that are stored in them. Unfortunately, many multi-disc "season" sets utilize this type of packaging.

Those of you who are collectors should take note-- long-term storage in these cases looks to be problematic, at best... if left in these cases, the discs will begin to cloud, and must be cleaned at regular intervals.

Naturally, no one at the studios or the case manufacturing company is officially even admitting there is an issue with this, so it's up to consumers to be proactive.

More discussion (as well as a little unnecessary hysteria) here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...ms-tv-shows-dvd-sets-using-scanavo-cases.html

Time to break out the spare jewel cases...! :)

-Kevin

2. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

I came across that topic a few days ago, I'm not convinced that it is the Scanavo slimlines themselves as they don't appear to be the culprit in all of the cases reported over at the Home Theater Forum. I think there is a big possibility to be the opposite and that batches of poorly pressed discs are oxidizing and causing the residue on the cases.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

I have to disagree on this point, mostly because of previous experiences I had while working in various video stores-- it was not unusual for certain clear/translucent tape cases to get a weird "slick" feeling on them after a certain amount of time... and this always happened with that style of case. It didn't occur with standard dark-plastic cases.

I never was able to isolate any sort of storage conditions that would cause this reaction, but it certainly wasn't uncommon.

Given what I've personally seen in the past, then, I'm pretty sure it's the cases. I'd just replace them with Amrays or CD jewel boxes...

-Kevin

4. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

Anyone have a good source for replacement cases?

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I do know they break WAY TOO EASILY! My Genesis "Wind & Wuthering" and "ABACAB" CD/DVD Combos cannot hold the discs in place anymore! Michael Boyce

6. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

That would affect the reflective layer -- but people are reporting that the "cloudy" stuff can be at least partially washed off the disc, which means it's on the surface of the data side.

I'm really hard pressed to think of anything you could do in the DVD manufacturing process that would cause the surface of the data side of the disc to cloud up over time. Outgassing from cheap plastic cases seems a lot more likely to me.

7. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I do think it's the cases, as I don't see this problem on any of my discs that don't have the translucent 'scanavo' style cases. Of all my luck, the set that does have it is my Dick Van Dyke Complete Series set, which is a 25 disc set. Oh well, to be safe I'll pick up some black replacement packs.

There really is a noticeable oily deposit on the cases, as well as the discs. While it may not be causing any immediate damage, that certainly doesn't mean it won't cause problems over the years. I certainly don't want to buy the set (or any others) again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.