Scanners - Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiodrome, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for a cheap scanner to do record covers and labels, etc. and I'm wondering what specifications and features I should look for (resolution, size, etc.). I've heard you can't go wrong with HP stuff.

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I had an HP. Nothing but problems until I bought a Canon.

Hp is not the company it used to be since Carly took over.

mud-

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I disagree. If you want driver support worth a damn, and a warranty that they stand behind (I'm HP certified) then it's HP. Scanners and printers for the home is what they're king of. If you want industrial, Ricoh and HP. Ricoh makes a wicked killer color lazer.

An 44xx HP is perfect, as long as you have USB. Anything else sucks as far as color accuracy. Believe me, I go throough about 20 different units every week of different brands.

If HP sucked, I'd tell ya. I say "jump" and they have each and every time. I wouldn't let down the forum.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Sckott, I know you of all people wouldn't give the forum a bum steer. I really had a bad experience with the HP SCSI scanner I had. Worked fine under 98 but after that it just wouldn't work with 98SE or ME. I'm happy with the Canon. I've worked with HP3000 & HP9000. Those midrange computers and support are tops. The SEs I know from HP say the home stuff ain't what it used to be.

Just MO & experience.

mud-

5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I had an HP scanner that worked great for about three years then died suddenly. No problems with it up 'til then except it didn't work correctly with my Canon printer when I used the combo as a copier. I replaced it with a Canon D1250U2F that works great and as a bonus has a negative scanner which my old HP didn't.
    Good luck!

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:D I have a Umax Astra 3400: relatively inexpensive, does the job well. What you'll find is that you have to learn how to adjust color and tones for maximum image quality. True, scanners have automatic defaults, but on some images--B&W especially--you may want to tweak a bit to get a replication, because sometimes scanners will tend to either slightly darken or lighten the image, regardless of what you're scanning. Rez can be adjusted on most scanners; you can play around and find out what works for you. Suggestion: find a Staples or Office Max store and have them run some for you(most places that sell scanners will demonstrate them, just as they would a PC). Also check out the combo printer/scanner/faxes out there; I haven't priced any but very convenient putting everything in one unit. Best thing to do is shop around, decide how much you're going to spend in advance; good way to kill a Saturday morning.

Good luck,

ED

7. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

A recent Consumer Reports gave a couple of HPs "best buys" for consumer models. I'll have to check the actual model numbers.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have an HP ScanJet 3400C that works great.

9. Sckott

I don't want to snuff the fact that your opinion isn't any less important than mine.

But I'll say this...

The "wing" SCSI cards made by (I think...) Symbios Logic were horrible. I'm mainly talking about the famed 4P and 5P series cards that worked under this card, which was included in most of these models. It was a ISA card, and bare-essentials at best, since support for new operating systems was pitiful on a good day...

Yes, Windows98 had drivers on board for old SCSI cards like it, but for any motherboard using 98 in the mid 90's it was a nightmare. Yes, and Hoo boy, I've been there.

Someone had dumped a 4P on me and I used an Adaptec AIC 7850 I had lying around. Free scanner! WOOHOO!! I just had to pay $50 for a SCSI cord. The scanner was the most kick ass, blasingly fast and responsive until many of the early USB oreinted ones came out. DPI and color accuracy became better. It took only an additional 2 years for my lovely little freebie 4P to finally get bright spots (bad brighter spots in some of the scanner) and yellow stripes (bad light sensor). The life of the scanner was approximately 8 years, but maybe equivelant to 4 years of heavy use. FWIW, it was built like a tank.

I still use my Adaptec for my Zip drive, which is SCSI. I now own a 4200 from last year, which is USB and flexible under XP.

Also, HP has basically "got" the market. Just like you say "Kleenex" and you don't know you're actually mentioning a brand.

Scanners, under a USB, are cheap. The self-powered Canons are absolutely great for laptops.

If it was the Symbios Logic card that got you in the 'end' Dave, then my condolences. That's where, sadly, the scanner ends for many people. :(

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Sckott, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card...I think the problem was with the VIA chipset. VIA & HP didn't seem to get along too well. Not sure but, alas, it's too late now!

Dave-

Damn thing didn't work with XP either.

11. Sckott

I'm really sorry to hear that. People who were stuck with the Symbios Logic cards usually dumped the scanner because that's what they thought was frustrating them.

I would have gotten another 5P, but the DPI is better on scanners worth a fraction of the price now.

Good luck, Dave. :)

12. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

If you really want to be informed, go check out PC magazine online or c/net reviews to get a general idea of which scanners are currently favored.

My personal recommendations for a scanner are Umax, Agfa and Epson. I currently use an Epson, and even though it generates outstanding scans I'm not sure if I can recommend it because the latest software requires a 1024x768 screen and not everyone wants their monitor set to that high of a rez.

To me, the accuracy of the scanner is very important (I'd give it 75% of the total importance), but the software that's provided to drive the scanner is pretty important too (the other 25%). If you have a hard time figuring out how to scale an image with the software or where the de-screen button is (hint: you want that button ON when you scan printed stuff like labels, CD covers and books), then you've got a scanner problem.

Anyway, just my opinion.

13. PapaJay

PapaJay New Member

I use the HP Scanjet 4400c, and it's worked fine for over a year. Quite satisfied with the results.

Papa Jay

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

What are the price ranges of these recommended scanners?? I think I should get one in the near future...

Todd

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Todd, here's a place I've used to compare prices.

http://pricescan.com/home.asp

My Canon was about $130 at Costco. Canon N1220U, USB powered.

mud-

16. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Thanks, Mud!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.