Schiit Loki Equalizer released

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Unless your receiver has a tape loop with an actual tape monitor function, it can only go between a single source and the receiver.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So any component "line level out" could go into the equalizer, and then from the equalizer into my receiver?

3. Yes.

4. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

And I guess that if I have 3 line inputs coming into my A-S801 (phono preamp and 2 DACs) the single line in/out for this Loki wouldn't be quite enough. :)

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's kind of like an A/V Digital Receiver dropping Phono inputs. My Rogue integrate has pre-out but no loop back. The pre-out is for Subwoofer connection. My Jolida JD 302B, which is 20 years old had a tape input, but, no loop. So loop back wasn't included then. Previous to these, I had a Cambridge intregrated. I seem to recall a tape loop. But Cambridge also makes Receivers so they would have engineered designs to use.

Mike-48 likes this.
  6. If someone was hell bent to use this on a receiver or Integrated w/o a proper tape loop, you could get an external input switching box. There are some cheap ones out there, and also some more robust designs. I had a Niles input switching box that could take 3 or 4 inputs to a single output.

punkmusick likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

May try one. Looks like a simple design.

8. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I don't know if I will get this, but my Schiit Saga , Valhalla 2 and Sys are all excellent for what they do. Very affordable and the sound is really quite good. So good I am selling off my B&K Pro10 and 442 amp.

DrZhivago, 33na3rd and bluemooze like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

I like simple designs like this. I use a Hagerman Bugle phono-preamp for this reason. It's really the design that matters the most with these things.
    I have been thinking about adding an EQ to my system, but the really good ones are too expensive, and I don't need 12 bands and bells and whistles.
    Something that will not interfere with the original signal too much, and is easy to use. This looks like it.

Manimal and toddrhodes like this.
  10. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Could an EQ be placed between a preamp and poweramp?
    I have a Pioneer SG-9500 I am not currently using.
    All of my gear is tube though

BGLeduc likes this.
  11. Yes.

12. moops

moops Senior Member

Why worry about tape loops ?
    Can't you just run it ..... CD > Loki > Amp and just use the Loki's bypass if you don't want it in there at some point ?

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

A tape loop completely takes it out of the setup until needed. No "bypass" needed.

14. moops

moops Senior Member

Fair enough then ..... I'm happy to connect without a proper tape loop function though.
    I think I'm going the going to grab one of these.

This is from the Schiit FAQ ..... which sounds good enough for my purposes.

Well, if I do get it, can I bypass it?
    Yes. There’s a switch on the front to completely bypass the tone control stage—as in, a relay connects the input and output directly, no active devices in the signal path at all.

15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I think the tape loop is attractive for people who want to EQ multiple sources but only have a receiver doing preamp and amp duties. I think?

CBackley, somnar and BGLeduc like this.
  16. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Schiit is a very respectable company. They have pretty inovative designs: Look here: Schiit Audio Ragnarok integrated amplifier Measurements
    Just read how they messed up an amplifier design. I love it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Not sure about your "only" stipulation but if your preamp has a tape loop why not use it? Right! if only one source is being used, and no loop is available, then you have no choice. Trust the bypass.

toddrhodes likes this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Ya, reading that review, them having to "explain" why test results are not normal, that is not a good design (imo). :shake:

19. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I never use, or condone the use of tone controls, but I am very happy that Schiit Audio released this. It is a low cost
    way to experiment, and I think many may find it very useful, or at least fun to try. Thanks for posting.

moops likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I will probably buy this for that reason. I did have a fair amount of acoustic treatment on the walls once but took them down and now use headphones far more. This might get my neglected floorstanders back in action. For $150 it's a easy gamble. I love Schiit!

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The design of the amp is good. It's the design of the tests that were wrong. The amp works fine and is reliable. Nothing wrong with the design of the amp in that regard.

Merrick, dmckean, Puma Cat and 2 others like this.
  22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I would have preferred a tube phono...

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

You mean an Odin?
    :D

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Anything that would help 2-channel models correctly integrate a subwoofer has become rarer than hen's teeth...:(

Manimal likes this.
  25. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Agreed. May pick one up for the helluvit. Put it away for a rainy day when I get an integrated for playback options in the future.