Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Fuquay

Jim Fuquay Well-Known Member

I’ve loosened the set screw on my new Sol but the VTA knob still doesn’t want to turn. Anybody done this and have advice? Really liking the table, although the arm takes some getting used to. My first unipivot.

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

So there's a screw next to the VTA adjust - it's a phillips head screw. That is not the screw you're looking for :)

Above the VTA adjust is a hole and inside is an allen head. Turn that while holding the VTA knob (or else the tonearm will drop) to loosen the adjustment. Tighten it to firm up wherever you adjust it to.

3. Jim Fuquay

Ha! Of course not! Who would think such a thing? Thanks. Seeing a hole on a Matt black surface is not my forte.

Aftermath and toddrhodes like this.
  4. toddrhodes

Well as you may have deduced... I did the exact same thing :D

5. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

It looked funny to me, too. This is something Schiit needs to address. A thumbscrew instead of a set screw would make the functional distinction more obvious, and be the cheapest fix to implement, not to mention the easiest to use.

toddrhodes likes this.
  6. Jim Fuquay

The error was in cropping the photo in the manual. They cropped out the pertinent set screw and instead showed two other screws. I found a very nice video by a guy named Conrad Hoffman that showed it better. I’d call this an example of wanting to keep the manual simple, but they left out important info. Good concept, faulty execution. Fortunately, the Sol itself seems very good.

Aftermath likes this.
  7. Jim Fuquay

A follow-up: Got the VTA set screw loosened and then dialed it in while playing. The Grado Opus3 low-output cart sounded good on my Debut Carbon, but this is another level. I’ve reduced surface noise considerably, and the music just pops out of a really quiet background now. I see why Schiit wanted to build in adjustability, if this is the result. I’ll live with it for a while and then try my first MC cart. I’m thinking Hana.

8. Renault4

Renault4 New Member

9. brn

brn Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of seen a thing. Who knows if it's still even happening...

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The March 2021 issue of Stereophile has a review of the Sol turntable. Review is by Ken Micallef.

A favorable review. He liked it. A couple sentences from the conclusion:
    The Schiit Sol is a bit of an odd bird - and all the more interesting for that. It's priced as a beginner 'table and intended to be easy to use, yet it's fiddly and adjustable and benefits from careful setup.
    Easily recommended - just don't mistake it for a typical entry-level deck.​

The March issue is currently available on Zinio for digital subscribers. It should hit the web site in a few weeks.

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

12. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Now that Michael Fremer and Ken Micallef have praised the Sol, it seems the turntable is finally the high-value choice it was meant to be. It's only a matter of time before enthusiasts eat that thing up.

13. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Looks great, but “fiddly” is not for me. I’m too lazy.

:)

14. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Well... once you set everything, you just use it as you would any other manual turntable.

15. toddrhodes

Heck, I swap between two arms and carts and don't have to touch anything.

The reviewer does characterize it as "fiddly," but in context, I don't think he means it requires constant attention. But if, let's say, you have to adjust the platter height? That could mean a few additional adjustments (cue lever, pulley height, tonearm rest, reset VTA). But I've had other tables - VPI and GEM Dandy - that require the same things and on those tables, something like platter height wasn't even adjustable. It just means that if you adjust one thing, other elements might fall out of adjustment and you need to synch it all back up.

Unless you're rolling in vastly different carts and stylii, I don't think that's a detriment. It's the well-earned price one pays for adaptability.

Aftermath and Nathan Z like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I'm a noob but I either gotta learn to deal with that, swap cartridges back and forth in a different TT to get mono/stereo needledrops or get two turntables. Leaning toward learning to use the Sol with two arms (mono/stereo) at the ready.

Nathan Z likes this.
  17. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

That's what I've been considering. My collection of mono records is growing so I feel it's time I got a true mono cartridge.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  18. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Curious if anyone who owns the Sol has actually paired it with a Phoenix Technology PSU/Tachometer combo [Falcon or Eagle and a Roadrunner]?

19. toddrhodes

I wanted to but the pair go for crazy amounts of money these days. I missed a set on Agon for around $600 and would have bought it. Normally they are $1000+

So I went with a Music Hall Cruise Control. Works extremely well - speed is accurate and stable, and the ability to switch speeds with a button and have the button in a more convenient place are all wins in my book.

SuperRoo and 33na3rd like this.
  20. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Just for my info, did you use the cruise control with the belt @ 45 rpm or 33.33 rpm?

21. toddrhodes

I tried with both and at least anecdotally, the measurements were *slightly* more consistent when using the 33 RPM pulley, but then that necessitated moving the belt when I switched speeds. So I ultimately decided to run it off the 45 RPM pulley so I can slow it down or speed it up with just the unit, and not have to mess with the belt.

I don't like touching the belt more than I need to because invariably, I move the motor pod slightly which can have a much bigger impact on speed and stability than the difference of running from 33 or 45 RPM pulley. Does that make sense?

Short version: I now run it from the 45 RPM pulley and use the button on the unit to change speeds.

AlmanacZinger and Ripblade like this.
  22. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Thanks. I did the same thing with my Thorens. I am eventually going to get a Sol, but I wanted to find out what you did for the speed.
    Mucho Gracias

toddrhodes likes this.
  23. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Stereophile's biannual list of recommended components has been posted. The Schiit Sol was placed in Class B! That is seriously impressive! For $799, you've got a turntable which sonically beats a Rega Planar 3 (which is placed in Class C). I'm not a fan of Rega for a few reasons, but I can't deny that their tonearms sound excellent. With that said, can we finally all agree that the Schiit Sol has "made it?"

I mean seriously... you can't find a turntable that not only sounds that good at the price AND has every adjustment you'd ever want.

Ripblade, Ingenieur, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Fans of Schiit can, but professional shills and those who legitimately dislike the company never will.

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

This sounds interesting, saw it on Stereophile list. Always scan it for the lowest priced, highest ranked gear for the heck of it.

Looks fiddly but if set up properly might out punch its price class significantly.

AlmanacZinger and Nathan Z like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.