Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Questions for users about arm swaps if I may:

What I've gathered from this thread and Fremer's review is that you want to set the pivot pin at the "plane of record play" using the "VTA" knob but then set VTA itself using the "Tonearm Height" adjustment. This would presumably allow VTA to be set for each arm without needing re-adjustment for each cart.

In his awesome setup video, though, Conrad Hoffman advises leaving the Tonearm Height screw ("bearing cap") flush with the ring unless you're going for a second-degree belt in tonearm geometry.

WRT to anti-skate: When swapping arms I assume it gets re-adjusted for the new cart? Alternatively you could give each arm its own weight I suppose, fixing it to the rod with a bit of adhesive as Hoffman suggests so attachment height does not shift.

Thoughts and corrections appreciated!

2. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

If I was looking for a circa 800 table I'd get the Technics 100 not this.

3. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

The Sol is no longer on the Schiit website. I guess I waited too long.

4. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

The website says they are out of stock not NLA

5. Steve Baker

I checked the product line. Not there any more. Jason said it might happen, so ..............

6. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Wait... what? It can't be that it's no longer a product Schiit sells, rather just a shortage. Give it some time. I'm sure it'll come back in stock.

7. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Jason from Schiit posted on another site that it might be done for good due to supply issues...

"Sol may be next--we've turned off ordering while we are filling current backorders so we can catch up. Long delays on some parts mean we don't have firm date when ordering can resume. It may be 6+ months out. Sorry, things are crazy right now, and getting crazier. A convo with our purchasing partner today was hair-raising."

muletrane likes this.
  8. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Oh god no. We finally get a truly great turntable, and it goes out in a flash.

John Landreth likes this.
  9. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

It's a temporary situation. How temporary remains to be seen.

Stop buying products from "those guys" over there. They have nefarious plans to dominate industries. To the detriment of free markets. Low prices now mean limited choices later.

bootbox likes this.
  10. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I'm as likely to change cartridges as often as wands so I just leave the pin as Schiit recommends. Most cartridges are fairly standard with regards to height so adjusting VTA for that alone is not that frequent. If I was particular I'd adjust the VTA based on the thickness of the LP and the direction of the cupping (if any) as it has just as great an effect on VTA as cartridge height, yet I don't bother with that, either. I prefer to listen to the music than fuss over set-up.

JackG likes this.
  12. Steve Baker

33na3rd and JackG like this.
  13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Curiosity about this table as a very different alternative to my KAB SL-1200 MkII got the best of me so I ordered one a while ago. Took delivery late last week and set it up over the weekend.

Really loving it! Total sea change operationally from the 1200 and my hamfisted technique took some taming (especially the undamped cueing!) but all turned out great. I think I learned more about turntable parameters this weekend than in the last decade.

Sonically it's wonderful. Coming from the 1200 MkII there's an increase in clarity and soundstage but most remarkable (to me) was the tighter, deeper bass. Maybe that arm at work.

It came with the AT-VM95EN so I moved the Microlinear stylus over from the AT-VM95ML I'd been using on the Technics.

[​IMG]

I haven't done extensive tweaking yet but will at some point. VTA is parallel and azimuth is visually level. VTF is 2g. Overhang checked/tweaked with the supplied protractor for the different stylus assembly (another new experience). Very happy with the way it's sounding as-is.

I found the power switch to be in a tough spot so I have the motor wired direct and am controlling on/off with one of these remote switches affixed in a more convenient spot.

Lack of isolation/levelling has not been an issue as I have it installed on a level Target (the UK company) steel wall shelf.

At some point I'll grab another arm once back in stock.

Fun table!

14. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

Just watched Jason on a YT live stream. He said that it is very difficult to do and it may or may not be coming back. As of 5 minutes ago it's off the site. It might be history which would be a bummer.

33na3rd and hholyghst like this.
  15. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Yes it would be. If Schiit insists the price remain where it is. I could see it going up 50%, easily. It would still sell, I believe. History has seen this before with the Oracle Delphi which also debuted at a ridiculously low price. Not long after the price was up, and , fortunately, they're still in business.

Analogue is not cheap. A number of other brands produce mediocre products that cost more than the Sol. What they have going for them is history, brand recognition and a loyal following. Schiit has none of these in the sphere of vinyl replay. The Sol has good reviews and a few devotees, but building on these will be a considerable challenge. What they need to do is appeal to the experienced vinylphile rather than the audiophile on a budget. It can be done as the market is there, but it takes will...and more capital.

16. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

Well, now I am seeing the Sol back on the site. Maybe there is still hope?

JackG, Lucca90 and Nathan Z like this.
  17. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I'm hoping to grab another arm or two!

18. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Sent an e-mail off and asked if they were discontinuing the deck. "Thank you for your interest. At this time, we've suspended ordering due to parts unavailability. I'm sorry for the inconvenience." was the answer.

Nathan Z likes this.
  19. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

It looks like a lot of people are interpreting their responses as "we're no longer going to have the Sol in our lineup." It seems like more of a "we'll get it out to you when we can" type of thing.

Aftermath likes this.
  20. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Yeah that's what I'm getting. Parts for many items are in short supply.

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Hmm. Cueing isn't a problem for me, but cartridge mounting, alignment, etc., is pretty damn frustrating with wobbly unipivot, that's for sure. It takes me quite a while to get it all right.

displayname likes this.
  22. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

The arm comes right off for full, 360° access*. I made an overhang gauge that hooks into the opening in the bottom of the ring which indicates the distance to the stylus tip. Square the cartridge with the front of the shell and yer done. Easiest one piece arm in the world on which to set up a cartridge.

*Better to remove the arm anyway so as to avoid accidentally blunting the pivot point.

23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I use a more involved process using a protractor to set the spindle to pivot distance and then to align the cantilever. I've gotten better at it over the years, but it still takes time and doing it right requires the tonearm be in place.

[​IMG]

24. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

That'll work too, but as you say....more involved. BTW, spindle to pivot distance on the Sol is fixed and not changeable.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Nathan Z likes this.
  25. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Does this thing have a cover?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.