Scott Walker (RIP)/Walker Bros: album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Mar 25, 2019.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Where can I find info regarding the Scott Engel recordings?

2. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

really think they need to open the vaults and get permission from his widow for an extensive reissue series.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I was in merry olde Cambridge last week and after getting a meal in a restaurant/bar that used to be a theatre Charlie Chaplin played there, also The Beatles.. found a record shop ( over the river) that had loads of RSD vinyl, which I proceeded to buy ..2LP Boy Child ( lovely sticker ). I used to be dismissive of BC, favoring Scott 1-4. But. .. I appreciate the Engel songs more now( no filler/all killer).

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Scott Engel

Here's a list go almost everything he did. There's a great book called All American Boys which traces the Walker Brothers career from the start until they reached London. The discography is at least ten pages long

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

But everything on "Boy Child" is on Scott 1-4... apart from, like, two tracks?

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

Does it cover the Scott Engel period?

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Yeah, all the Orbit and Liberty stuff plus all the weird pseudonyms and instrument stuff he did. As I said as soon as they hit England the book ends.

8. NightGoatToCairo

That book isn't easy to find!

Mylene likes this.
  9. Just to briefly be an aural anorak for a moment - I have one Scott compilation, and two Walker Brothers compilations, on the Phillips label. 1970s pressings I believe. They were dirty and battered when I bought them but I cleaned them up. The sound quality on these records is definitely superior to any of the re-issues we've had, warmer and more bass present. Certainly when I want a fix of The Walker Brothers, it's these records I reach for. There's plenty of these out there (in the UK anyway), secondhand and usually cheap, the Phillips pressings are the way to go. Not that I would shell out silly money for one of Scott's original albums on Phillips mind you.

10. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

I have been wishing for years now that we’d get a new, AAA (ideally) box set of Walker Brothers albums, Mono & Stereo. The reissues of Nite Flights & Take It Easy With were welcome and wetted the taste buds, but alas! Nowhere to be seen as of yet.
    I mean, it’s not terribly difficult to find VG+ or even minty copies, but I just want it new.

Timjosephuk and lemonade kid like this.
  11. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Great to see you all keeping the thread alive!!

:tiphat:

[​IMG]

pobbard likes this.
  12. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Prices for 60s Walkers & Scott's solo Philips albums seem to be more reasonable now than they were a number of years ago. I think demand dropped off. Of course, the challenge is picking the one's that are truly vg+/ex condition!

13. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Listening to my original Philips stereo LP of Scott Sings Songs from His TV Series this morning. It's a fairly cheesy album, certainly no competition for Scott 4 in artistic terms, and I can kind of understand why Scott didn't want it to be re-released. On its own terms, though, it's well-done, with some nice orchestral arrangements, and Scott sings well. Unlike Scott 1-4, you can still find copies of this one online that don't cost in the hundreds. I got my copy in on eBay in 2016 for $21 including shipping from the UK.

14. I'm definitely interested in getting a copy of Stretch as it's come to my attention that Someone who Cared is a SW original.

Max Florian likes this.
  15. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Is it? The album credits say it was written by Del Newman, the album's producer.

I have a two-fer CD of Stretch and We Had It All. They're both pretty bad.

16. I think SW gifted it to the producer. Lack of confidence at the time etc

17. paulybauls

I’ve had some good luck at the record fair bargain bins, but it’s mainly Scott 3 onwards where the headaches start. I bought my NM (truly!) Scott 4 (original UK ‘Engel’ copy) a couple of years ago on ebay from a guy that didn’t know better for £99 bang on Buy-it-now, and at the time you’d be looking at £150 for a VG+ copy. Haven’t checked prices now but I can’t think it has changed much.

18. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

For Scott 4, I recommend the 1969 Japanese pressing. Great sound, less likely to be worn, and a little cheaper than a properly graded UK.

Scott was very popular in Japan, so original vinyl copies are not rare and they generally took good care of their records.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    oldjollymon and paulybauls like this.
  19. paulybauls

I have the Japanese release also, it’s noticeably better than the UK, tighter bass being the best part. Really helps the bass driven tracks chug along.
    I also have a South African press I picked up rather cheaply, looks like a trashed G grade but plays VG+. Sounds like the UK but with a veil over it. Everything seems a little less present.

SCOTT1234 likes this.
  20. NightGoatToCairo

[​IMG]

Anyone know the recording dates for these bad boys?

Too Young
    I Don't Want To Know
    Comin' Home
    Bluebell
    Paper Doll
    Sunday
    When I Kiss You Goodnite
    Sing Boy Sing
    Too Young To Know
    Take This Love
    Till You Return
    When You See Her
    All I Do Is Dream Of You
    Everybody But Me

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

C
    CLASSIC !!!

22. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

There is the legendary live performance !

phillyal1 likes this.
  23. paulybauls

24. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I've only just discovered this thread, which is surprising since I'm a big fan of Scott and his bros. I've enjoyed skimming through it and hope to enjoy the videos when I have a bit more time. Agree with all those asking for a definitive and completist reissue programme. A box like the Bobbie Gentry one would be nice.

The 60s solo albums are great, of course, and I can enjoy parts of The Drift and Bisch Bosch when I'm in the mood. I also have a soft spot for Scott when he's in cowboy/country mode. I reckon Stretch and We Had It All contain enough good tracks to make one decent album, as do No Regrets and Lines.

Now, can anyone tell me which CDs have the best sounding versions of the 70s reunion recordings? I've got the 3 Original Album Classics mini box on Columbia/Legacy, but the No Regrets album in particular sounds furry and fuzzy to me. The title track has Scott's voice booming out up front and the orchestra and everything else like it's coming out of a match box. Do any of the compilations sound better? Have there been any reissues of this stuff that may have gone under my radar? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

paulybauls likes this.
  25. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I suspect that what you're hearing regarding "No Regrets" is the mix. It strikes me as an attempt to make Scott sound like the Scott of old, i.e. epic, whereas the actual singing style is quiet and intimate and not the Scott of old. To my ears, it doesn't really work.

The single mix is far better in this respect inasmuch as the intimacy of the vocal is showcased while the backing is also allowed to be heard.

When the single mix is heard in stereo, the backing is almost too loud to my ears, and I believe that the balance is at its best when the single mix is heard in mono, which is probably how most people heard the single mix for the first time on their radio.

And that was probably the challenge for mixing engineers back in the 70s as they tried to create a stereo single mix that also sounded good in mono. Sounding good in mono probably had to come first.

rediffusion likes this.