Scottish record shop Groucho’s (1976-2020) in Dundee closing

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by wallpaperman, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sad news that a Scottish record shop institution is closing. The well known and loved owner died last year, the family and staff have kept if going, but have decided to now close the doors.

However, reports are that some of the staff are going to open a new shop elsewhere in the city, which would be good news.

I’m not a local, but have visited a couple of times, it was a great second hand shop right bang in the middle of Dundee (though they have had a few locations over the years).

Anyone on the forum have any memories of the shop?

End of an era as iconic Dundee record store Groucho's closes - Evening Telegraph

2. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

Aw, that’s a shame. Bought a few things there over the years and spent a far greater number of days rummaging through the racks and not buying anything. Just used to drop in occasionally in passing. Can’t recall what I bought there last time I was in. Too few of these places around nowadays. Hope the staff do open up a new store.
    Catbird.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Ach that's a real shame. I went up to Groucho's a few years ago and it was incredible. Spent a happy couple of hours in there. Always wanted to go back but I'll savour the memory. Been a year of record shops going to the wall sadly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.