SCREAM 5 (2022)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Oct 15, 2021.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking forward to this.

Saw the first one when I was 8

Like that their almost starting over, think their will be some main cast members from the original killed off

Looks like final showdown takes place at Stu's house (house on the original movie)

Figured the series was over after the letdown of the numbers of SCREAM 4 and Wes Craven passing away

Sean likes this.
  2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

They’re just calling it “Scream” I guess, a la the “Halloween” reboot of 2018.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I saw it this evening. Not the sort of thing that we'd normally go out of our way to see, but literally nothing else opened in the local theaters this week.

Very amusing on a meta-humor level, with characters talking about the rules of these sort of movies.

4. jason88cubs

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I will see it but hard to imagine it can beat the surprise of the original. Drew Barrymore getting murdered in the first 10 minutes made the franchise.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's by the same director as 2019's Ready Or Not, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin.

It was reviewed on Film Week. Two of their critics liked it, one seemed annoyed by the "meta" aspects, which Vickie and I loved. It's really about "toxic fandom" and "fan service".

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Saw it last night with some friends. Didn’t like it at all. The ending was definitely the best part though. One caveat: I’ve never seen any other Scream film. But I am a fan of horror films.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. jason88cubs

Just saw it

I enjoyed it but for a horror film it was way to long. 20 minutes could have been taken off

Ending was good, and I was wrong on my guesses

Truthfully I hope this is the end. If they keep bringing back the originals I'll keep watching, but I don't see me caring about a new group of characters.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The ending had a bit of similarity to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. If you are a fan of that Tarantino film, you will get a big laugh at the end of Scream 5. :D

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we'll watch this since we watched all the previous ones...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And featuring the same actress no doubt! That was really strange.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Definitely wasn’t a coincidence, the director or producer must have seen her in OUATIH and said get that girl.

Matthew Tate and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. jason88cubs

I have no doubt a sequel will be made. This has performed very well at box office

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which of course the original did.

This was clever and creative in 1996 - and in 1994, when Wes Craven pushed in that direction with the barrier-breaking "New Nightmare".

Doesn't seem especially fresh in 2022 - not after 4 "Scream" movies that did the same thing.

"Scream" 2022 wants to have it both ways: it wants to exist as fan service while it also mocks fan service.

It does neither well, IMO. It feels like a lazy rehash of the original that occasionally tosses out self-aware scenes to excuse its cliches and excesses.

Bluesman Mark and yesstiles like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes, will gross over 100 million worldwide and budget was less than 30 million

jason88cubs likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Horror flicks rarely really flop.

They're usually super-cheap to make - $25 million is actually kinda pricey for the genre! - and they have a dedicated fanbase that means they usually turn a profit.

If a movie only costs $3 million, a $10 million gross means it made money! So it's a low bar, and when you add home video, that makes horror flicks even more of a money machine.

The thing is that Hollywood doesn't want to make a $10 million profit on a movie that cost $3 million.

They want the super-blockbusters that cost $200 million but make $1 billion.

Which are still pretty rare, but Hollywood chases those instead of smaller flicks that are safer bets but also unable to make mega-profits...

jason88cubs and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The exact opposite of 50 years ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. jason88cubs

Scream 4 didnt't do well at box office. 38 million un USA and Canada on a 40 million budget

Practically ended Scream 5+6 happening right away

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

"S4" got to nearly $100m worldwide, so it probably broke even overall. Still easily the worst of the franchise, especially if you factor it came out a decade+ after "S3" and inflation played a factor in ticket sales.

After 11 years between "S3" and "S4", they did wait another 11 years for "Scream" 2022, and then they went the "reboot-sequel" path that seems popular now.

I guess it worked, since the new flick has done pretty well. I didn't much like the flick, though - it's just really hard to find clever new twists for such a "meta" franchise, as he first couple of movies really said all there is to say...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Isaac K. and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I rewatched it on Hulu to tonight for the first time since seeing it in the theater. My rating? From best in the series to worst it goes in this order: 1, 5, 4,2,3. I think what makes the first and second sequels the worst out of the lot is that they pushed them out too fast and never had the chance to dwell upon the story they wanted to tell, lest they fall out of the public consciousness. Part 3 is just awful. Do I really need to explain why?

jason88cubs and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The trailer for Scream 6 has been out for two weeks and totally slipped by me. It’s also only a month out from release. Wow, that was quick!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Anyone seen Scream 6 yet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I saw it last night in 3D. It was an alright time-killer. However, the location made it feel unlike the other 5, a bit too urban for me. It also made stabbing seem like not a big deal. I guessed the "who" BTW, for the most part.

25. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

I would say 6 was the best in the franchise since 2. Initially I was hesitant about a Scream movie without Sidney but I actually didn't miss her because there wasn't really a need to shoehorn her in like with 4 and 5

Isaac K. and Matthew Tate like this.