Sea Level- Any Fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Instant Karma, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I searched but couldn't find any recent threads that discuss this band. I am a big fan of this relatively unknown group. The musicianship is excellent and Chuck Leavell is one of my favorite keyboard players. It would be interesting to hear other members take on this group and what their favorites are of the 5 releases. I own the first four releases on cd on the Capricorn label. They were also issued as two/fers on the Real Gone label. I also own the Best Of, which is a great overview. The one title I don't own is Ball Room. Opinions on this title would be welcome. It was their fifth and last album.

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I still own their first two LPs and play them regularly. They didn’t seem unknown back in the day, but that was when I was in college, and so that probably influences my opinion.

JohnK

Skydog7, Dennis Metz and AnalogJ like this.
  3. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Back in the 80s when I collected vinyl I had their first two albums and really liked them. I got rid of all my vinyl in '99. Haven't thought of the band in years. Thanks for the thread since it reminded me of them. I'll have to check and see what's available by them on CD.

4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Really good stuff. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Chuck Levell’s work with the Stones does not do him justice.

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

My only connection to Sea Level is that I interviewed Chuck Leavell many years ago, but about environmental issues.

Munros1969 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Well hey, you still got to talk to members of the Allman Brothers.

Munros1969 and Joel1963 like this.
  7. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

Randall Bramlet and Chuck Leavell are omnipresent around here and play quite often in my home town of Athens, Ga.. I've become a fan the honest way... seeing them live.

They always have some great players with them. I have to admit though, one of the reasons I always make these shows is because they always play a bunch of Stones and Allman Brothers covers.

I also saw these guys play with Widespread Panic a few years ago... another one of my favorite bands.

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Great band and I saw them a couple of times. I remember one show where Leavell had two grand pianos set up on opposite sides of the stage and kept going back and forth. A little distracting and I felt sorry for the roadies.

Dennis Metz, barryalan and Munros1969 like this.
  9. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Yup, he's a very nice, soft-spoken guy with Southern charm galore.

pocofan, bluerondo and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Have debut and one with "Thats Your Secret" on vinyl. Good stuff...especially debut. Oh yeah...have an anthology CD too.

bluerondo and AnalogJ like this.
  11. Instant Karma

Totally agree. I don't really think their music lends itself to allowing him to use his talent to it's fullest. Definitely a big Stones fan, though. Just seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm a huge Sea Level fan! Have most of their albums on vinyl and all of them on CD. I saw them twice in the Boston area at small clubs and the shows were incredible! Still think Jimmy Nalls was such an outstanding guitarist. To see a third of the then Allman Brothers Band in a small venue was unbelievable. The best versions of Statesboro Blues and Hot 'Lanta I've ever heard were at the first show and Jimmy was killer on the slide! I was asked by the Paradise staff several times to stop standing on my chair and screaming with joy :laugh:.

https://www.guitars101.com/forums/f...ise-theater-boston-mass-late-show-653189.html

13. Instant Karma

Wow Bill. Very jealous. Those shows must have been unbelievable. When I have a little more time I will listen to the full concert. What year was that? Agree with you about Jimmy Nalls. Who else did he play with?

bluerondo and Bill Mac like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Picked up their first album last year and the instrumentals are nice mellow fusion. Haven't yet got around to hearing their later albums.

15. Zoot Marimba

And also, he was coming in when they were becoming a nostalgia act. Yes, guys like Nicky Hopkins we’re hired guns as well, but Nicky was clearly allowed to be Nicky.

16. JackS

JackS Then Play On

IMO, Randall Bramblett is another unrecognized true American artiste !
    He has many CD's/albums and I cannot pick a favorite.
    He was a standard bearer for Steve Winwood tours in the past.

Greg Gee, garymc, Comet01 and 2 others like this.
  17. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Went down to Toronto in the late seventies to see them at the ElMo.
    Got there just in time to see the dude removing `Tonight - Sea Level'
    from the marquee. We went home. Never did find out what the deal
    was. That aside - I've always been an ardent fan.

MYQ1 and Say It Right like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! The Capital Theater show was from February of '77. Jimmy Nalls was mostly a session player and he released two solo albums. The last was released right before he passed from Parkinson's. I have the Ain’t No Stranger CD from 1999 and its a great album. The Jimmy Nalls Project looks like it's only available as a download. He also played for a short while with the Nighthawks.

I contacted Jimmy awhile back letting him know that I loved his work with Sea Level and to wish him well. He sent a nice response saying that he really appreciated the kind words.

Jimmy Nalls - Wikipedia
    Jimmy Nalls - Ain't No Stranger
    Jimmy Nalls Official Website - Welcome
    THE JIMMY NALLS PROJECT

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They seem to fade in memory. A reminder always returns. Sea Level had a lot of hype during the late 70's with FM radio support.

In hindsight, it seems unbelievable that a combination of Southern rock, which was dying, and fusion, which had passed peak, could reach the mainstream. Despite the odds stacked against its they made a real go. Somebody else would be better equipped to share a more thorough explanation, but wasn't the Capricorn Records situation the biggest obstacle to bigger success?

20. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Mama shake a leg!

MYQ1 likes this.
  21. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I've got the first two and play them regularly. Pretty well know in my circle of friends, We're all big Allman Brothers fans

22. Instant Karma

Very sad, but I will definitely check out his album from 99. That was very thoughtful of you to send him well wishes. It's a horrible disease. I didn't check Discogs, but does Chuck Leavell have any solo albums to your knowledge?

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. JackS

JackS Then Play On

And did you know about his trees ?

Joel1963 likes this.
  24. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Probably 6 different releases...check Amazon

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sea level CD's, other than the best of are ridiculously hard to find, and when you do you have to take out a home equity loan to buy one.

and they are all very very good.

Greg Gee and Instant Karma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.