Second hand record prices rising well over inflation?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by babaluma, May 31, 2022.

1. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

It's simple, there a finite amount of desirable used vinyl releases out there and an increasing amount of people getting into vinyl, so we are all competing with each other for them, hence the price is going through the roof.

ARK, dee, sonofjim and 2 others like this.
  2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

If any of them would, it would be IV.

I just checked Discogs and the higher US prices for this album appear to be fairly recent.

Though that's one I have seen spending a good deal of time in the 2000s... not in bargain bins, necessarily, but at around a $5 price point for anything less than stellar condition.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I don't know what it is about Germans and "Toto IV". But a friend has a large store and says that "Rumours" and "IV" are two records he could move faster than he could get his hands on new used copies. For a while I picked up every decent 5€ copy I came across for him. Those days are long gone.

ODShowtime and lazydawg58 like this.
  4. Love Is Like Oxidation

Love Is Like Oxidation Forum Resident

5. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
    Willie Nelson - Stardust

I've been stockpiling both of these. I can still sometimes get them for $1-$3, but also see them marked up sometimes for $15 and over at record shops. It's not really speculation for financial gain for me. I just love both of these and want several copies so I can give them to family and friends and have extras myself if something were to happen to my primary copy. It's the same with Bobbie Gentry for me.

caravan70 likes this.
  6. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

I didn't realize Toto vinyl had had a resurgence, but it actually makes sense because "Africa" has undergone a major rehabilitation over the past few years.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  7. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I think prices on *new* records will go down in the coming weeks and months with so many big box retailers slashing prices to reduce their inventories, similar to Target’s coming price slashing. At least my fingers are crossed.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You've clearly missed the Gen Z "Africa" revival. It started as a tongue in cheek joke akin to Rickrolling several years ago, but then a surprisingly large number of kids discovered they unironically love the song. It got to the point that Weezer even covered it.

I'm not surprised that Toto IV sells for $20 and up.

FJFP, ARK, Dave S and 1 other person like this.
  9. lazydawg58

Yes at 63 my "pop culture" radar isn't what it use to be! I'm still trying to process Lady Gaga and Jay Cole. But I did look up Toto IV on DISCOGS and there were a lot for sell between $5-$10 and $10 - $15.

Personally I always considered (back in the 80s) Toto to be a guilty pleasure. African and Rossana are catchy as hell. The kids these days could do a lot worse than enjoying Toto.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

1.26m subscribers (more than Fleetwood Mac), 770m views.

ODShowtime and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

Yeah the "Africa" thing feels very weird and postmodern. OTOH, it may not be that different from how my own generation (Millennials) helped bring back Rumours--when I was a teenager, Fleetwood Mac was regarded by most people my age as kind of lame, but sometime in college (mid-2000s) the hip kids started playing "Dreams" at parties. At first it felt ironic, but I think once we all gave it a chance, it turned into genuine appreciation.

There's also the wider cultural trend of "poptimism" over the past 10-15 years, which I think has helped a lot too in bringing back these unexpected songs/artists from past eras.

ARK, Stone Turntable, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  12. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

did my monthly purchases from discogs
    -----
    a couple of holy grails over $100

the other hundred items from the UK, Canada, are $1-$5
    for 7, 12 inches, and LPS

--
    next month, gearing up to order 200 items from a seller
    where all items are from $1-$5, shipping will be a lot though.

i'm averaging at least $1000-$1500 per month and a few hundred
    items a month this year for the first half.

later

Leugi likes this.
  13. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wish I could get those $5 albums on eBay from Tokyo over here like media mail rates. Toto IV I'd pass on for years at a dollar (or less). Who would known 80's hit albums would be the hottest thing going. '95: "Jow whuddya doin stacking up the Rumours and Totos at $1 or less?" "I'm investing in da future, dese are gonna go up in value"

steviej likes this.
  14. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Record collectors: “Why are used records so expensive these days?”

Also record collectors: “I own 43 copies of Exile on Main Street.”

It’s just supply and demand.

FJFP, ARK, dee and 8 others like this.
  15. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Picked up the Toto Greatest Hits cd for 1 euro. Problem solved :)

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a new thing to signify mainstream hip.

A decade ago, showing someone's record collection and turntable in the background demonstrated they out of the ordinary.

17. And the deck used is a cheap and nasty paper weight,often in red.

Aladdin Sane and Cronverc like this.
  18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Funny that, last week my total came to £42.50 in my fave indie (recently celebrated their 50th anniversary). I put two twenties and a fiver down and said call it forty five.

Rodant Kapoor, ARK and GimiSomeTruth like this.
  19. lazydawg58

Livin' life large.

ARK, dee and Deek57 like this.
  20. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

You rich decadent northerners.

ARK, dee, The Green Elf and 2 others like this.
  21. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Sure, this probably does only apply to people buying vinyl. It's not like used vinyl is a stock you buy on S&P, DOW or Nasdaq. Instead physical plastic product is shipped usually wrapped in carton from A to B. Contents highly unknown for both seller and buyer :)

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m working on the tedious task of cataloging my records on Discogs. It’s interesting and might be useful for insurance purposes in the event of a calamity. I’m at just a bit over 1000 entries with probably over 2000 to go. I’m glad I bought most of these in the early 2000’s. It’s also kind of cool to “rediscover” titles that have been on the shelf for over a decade.

23. Mark Richardson

Mark Richardson Forum Resident

Did this a few years ago and I’m very glad I did. You can shake your phone with the app open to pull up a random record from your collection - kinda fun way to pick something to listen to

ARK, sonofjim and lazydawg58 like this.
  24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wait'll we all go "That Alanis #1 CD is getting great $ these days". Mark my word, we'll all be amazed at CD prices like Toto 80's vinyl albums today down the road. Hit those $1-$2 bins for Alanis, stackum up for '29. "Wow remember this thing with all the hits, and it is a 90's original compact disc".

ARK and murphmanz like this.
  25. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Thats just...

GimiSomeTruth and lazydawg58 like this.