Second hand vinyl - are prices for classic rock going up, down or flatlining?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by back2vinyl, May 27, 2018.

1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

But would you agree that almost all grading from sellers and shops (if they even do that) is visually graded? Visual grading is really just an educated guess. Under and over grading is unavoidable it that case. I've put too many pristine looking records on the turntable that had significant surface noise and I've put too many records on the turntable with significant scratches and a milky appearance that played without even a single random crackle. It is so impractical to judge an auditory article using a visual measurement.

Old Zorki II and uzn007 like this.
  2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Actually, it is impractical to playgrade every single record (at least for professional shop). Why bother with $10 records?
    And yes, sometimes visually pristine record sounds bad and beat up pretty decent, but those are often exceptions.
    I recently got record which seller graded it G+ (I bought it cheap). It looked horrific, all scratched - but played well with almost no clicks. Sound was VG+ or better. So I paid $30 for probably $100-$150 condition - but only as a listener, will have hard time selling it as VG+, if it ever comes to this.
    So no one bothers to playgrade cheap records, and for very expensive - often also not, as potential buyers are collectors who never listen to record, but who judge by looks )))).
    My local shop (again, I use it as example - they are great shop, famous, with long history) playgrade I think everything over $50.

I spot playgrade records right in a store, and when bought online and overgraded I ship it back. Now overseas sellers are a different story, as shipping back can be impractical for all but very expensive stuff. But it is subject for another topic....

Giorgio likes this.
  3. riverrat

riverrat Forum Resident

I often wonder this myself. Original pressings of Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd bring good prices today if they are in nice shape. But will this continue to be the case? Are these bands timeless, or simply of their time?

4. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

It's from 2017 but seems pertinent:

Can’t help falling in price: why Elvis memorabilia is plummeting in value

Take the Good Rockin’ Tonight EP. In 1998, the Rare Record Guide listed it for £125 but – according to online record database Discogs – over the past 10 years it has fetched a median price of £13.50. The singer’s You’ll Never Walk Alone LP was worth £400 in the 2012 Rare Record Guide, but is valued at £150 in the 2018 edition. These are indicative of a general trend. “If you try to sell any Elvis record that could easily have sold for £15-£20 each in the 1980s today, you can hardly give them away,” says Red, who runs an online Elvis vinyl store.

[​IMG]

Why is this? It’s depressingly apt that John Duffie, the first collector I wanted to ask that question to, has passed away. The Elvis Shop London – the UK’s only Elvis store – closed its doors recently due to “simply not making any kind of profit”. Europe’s last Elvis music store, the Elvis Corner Store in Utrecht now opens just one day a week. The truth is, with many Elvis fans and collectors well into their 70s and 80s, as each year goes by, more are lost. This then floods the market with their wares.

uzn007 likes this.