„Seinfeld“ appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I just watched the fictional Seinfeld reunion run of episodes on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Couldn't decide if I would have have really wanted this to happen although it was enjoyable to see everybody together again.

Matthew Tate and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  2. I love Seinfeld! One of the best television shows of all-time.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  3. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

That’s so hilarious:laugh:

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The first Seinfeld episode that demonstrated to me how clever and special this show was is the one in the Chinese restaurant. To have an entire episode in one setting and in real time and manage to make it entertaining doesn't happen everyday. Oh, I just realized that this is the one without Kramer and the show doesn't suffer from his absence.

5. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Elaine: "Mon and Pop's plan was to move into the neighbourhood, establish trust for 48 years, and then run off with Jerry's sneakers?"
    Kramer: "Apparently."

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that gets me everytime. i crack up every time its on

7. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

"It's the best Jerry! The best!"

theMess and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Every time I'm on a vacation (which isn't that often, but it happens), catching Seinfeld on cable TV in the hotel/motel is always a centering and recharging thing. From flying and dealing with rental cars & maps & driving, a brief respite with Jerry and the gang is a perfect reset. It reconnects me with "reality" when I'm in an unfamiliar place and gives me 30 minutes to relax and meditate....on silliness. Then my girlfriend says "did we come all this way to watch Seinfeld?"

theMess, ianuaditis, j_rocker and 2 others like this.
  9. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I remember in "The Coma" episode I laughed so much I couldn't breath at the following exchange (Kramer and Elaine go to a lawyer) The Lawyer (putting forward the scenarios where Elaine would or wouldnt pull the plug on Kramer): "Okay. One lung, blind and you're eating through a tube. Kramer: Nah, that's not my style."

10. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

He said, "Cartwright..."

11. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

it's all a bunch of cheapskates in there anyway. People sitting around reading the newspaper attached to huge wooden sticks. Trying to save a quarter :D

ianuaditis and Hyacinth House like this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

She called. He yelled "Cartwright". I missed her.
    Who's Cartwright?
    I'm Cartwright.
    You're not Cartwright.
    OF COURSE I'M NOT CARTWRIGHT!!!

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Almost. George is not in The Pen episode, but he is in every other episode. Jason Alexander told them after The Pen to never not put him in an episode again or he was out.

theMess, Jaap74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction. So everyone except, of course, Jerry.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

We watch a few episodes late every night before retiring. It’s so unique seeing people act out what we sometimes really think but wouldn’t dare to.

Billy Infinity and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Doing a rewatch sequentially which I haven't done in over a decade, tho seen at least half of them multiple times randomly on tv. Goes without saying holds up extraordinarily well; some eps I've seen probably five times and happy to see again, nothing about it dates or palls. Despite the obvious lack of cell phones/computers it otherwise still feels very contemporary.

Noted two weird things on rewatch: 1) the ONE time I think it faltered, got off balance, forgot what it was: the sequence in I think a season two ep where the better and worse part of Jerry are personified arguing as he debates whether he should let lust guide him in a relationship with a woman he otherwise does not like; the ONLY time I felt the show broke its tone and style in a noticeable way, in a show that does not I think overall have a single "bad" episode or even one more than 2 notches below its best; and 2) George refers in the parking spot episode to having a BROTHER, when discussing his family's skills with parallel parking; something I think never mentioned again and pretty clearly a continuity error of sorts.

It's fun watching in season four it beginning to turn into more serialistic extended narrative with the NBC pilot, Crazy Joe Davola, the virgin girlfriend.....tho the show was also amazing BEFORE it did any of that stuff.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

IIRC, Elaine mentioned a sister but the only close relative of hers we ever saw was her father.

theMess and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Kramer: Say you got a big job interview, and you're a little nervous. Well throw back a couple shots of Hennigan's and you'll be as loose as a goose and ready to roll in no time. And because it's odorless, why, it will be our little secret. H-E-double N-I...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

"Newman!"

Vic_1957 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Newman: And that failure to become a banker was eating at you. Eating-eating-eating at you inside.
    Kramer: Uh, yeah.

21. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

This is what I love about Seinfeld in reruns... I'ld thought I'ld seen all the episodes but I landed on one I did see but because of the lack of context provided by surfing with the remote I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at a scene where Larry David's voicing Steinbrenner wearing the pants of Lou Gehrig's baseball uniform adjusting for the fit around his junk asking George Costanza if that Lou Gehrig disease is contagious. He adds he really likes the tight fit of Lou's pants because it keeps his boys snug.

I'm laughing as I'm trying to type this because I'm thinking of the writers sitting around thinking up stuff like this. I'm still trying to count how many people they've insulted or made fun of just with that short scene.

Vic_1957, Manapua and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Yesterday after I changed into a gown for an xray I wanted to stick my head into the hallway and scream "my wallet's gone, my wallet's gone!"

theMess, johnaltman, Hawkeye and 6 others like this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This wasn't the first time the show referenced "the boys". I remember another episode where Kramer decided to stop wearing underwear because he was diagnosed with low sperm count so he brought a big handful of jockeys to Jerrys' place. Jerry was horrified and told him " I don't want your boys mixing with mine!" :laugh:

Vic_1957 and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  24. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I've been watching episodes when I'm on the treadmill via my tablet. It's the perfect way to counteract the boredom of this type of exercise.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This would be an apt one to watch then.